Mini Rumpler Taube .. Swap Pod Series - Page 2 - RC Groups
Apr 11, 2017, 09:38 PM
When cows fly!
Don't forget to include videos on the following:

1) Gluing the pattern backwards.
2) Gluing the pattern almost perfect...but just a 1/2 inch off of one side.
3) Thinking you can cut a straight line in the foam without a straight edge.
4) Cutting a bevel for hinges with a dull blade. Also straight lines with a dull blade.
5) Thinking you have a good motor until you fire it up and it is grinding corn(due to the crash of the last plane it was in)
6) Being one servo short of a full plane(This is also called being a few fries short of a happy meal, but applicable in different ways)
7) Thinking you can smooth a hot glue joint with your finger tip, without the aid of some moisture.
8) Cutting some scrap pieces of foam for smoothing joints(see previous video) after you have glued the joint and are waiting for it to cool.
9) Cutting you fingers in various way and bleeding all over white foam board.
10) Letting your wife know what the Paypal bill to Hobby King, Horizon Hobby and the local Hobby Store is :0
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2017, 09:46 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalmer146

4) Cutting a bevel for hinges with a dull blade. Also straight lines with a dull blade.
5) Thinking you have a good motor until you fire it up and it is grinding corn(due to the crash of the last plane it was in)
6) Being one servo short of a full plane(This is also called being a few fries short of a happy meal, but applicable in different ways)
7) Thinking you can smooth a hot glue joint with your finger tip, without the aid of some moisture.
8) Cutting some scrap pieces of foam for smoothing joints(see previous video) after you have glued the joint and are waiting for it to cool.
10) Letting your wife know what the Paypal bill to Hobby King, Horizon Hobby and the local Hobby Store is :0
Love it David .. just love it

Lockey
Apr 11, 2017, 10:04 PM
Quote:

#7 sooooo much...it seems i cant learn that one for good and I just keep trying it.. maybe i just have too many spare fingers.
Apr 12, 2017, 01:12 AM
Quote:

These are brilliant!

You should do a series of instructional videos too! I can especially relate to the burny/cutty ones after my scalpel in the bum cheek incident!

Thanks for the videos Lockey The additional tape on the hinges also makes perfect sense.
Last edited by scorchythebear; Apr 12, 2017 at 01:18 AM.
Apr 12, 2017, 06:05 PM
Looking good Adam ... yes mate you've done the boring bit .. huge nuts looking good good idea to use a spacer too

Remember to mark the position of the holes of the blind nuts on the ply base before you glue the top fuselage panel on ... also give the motor some down thrust ... a couple of washers under the top bolts

Not a bad idea to wrap the whole thing in tape ... clear packaging tape can add an enormous amount of strength to the joints .. last thing you want is the motor flying off

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 12, 2017 at 06:43 PM.
Apr 12, 2017, 06:31 PM
Not boring as such it just takes me a long time . I find cutting straight lines tricky even with thin plywood. I do have a nice saw which clamps to the table which helps.

Woodwork was never my favourite at school. I seem to remember we generally​ made weapons of some description

Will do with regards to down thrust and marking holes and tape
Last edited by scorchythebear; Apr 12, 2017 at 06:45 PM.
Apr 12, 2017, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchythebear
Drum roll please.....

Ta da!
Here you are mate ...

By the way, I know you flew your stagger wing bipe but did you ever get any video of it ?? .. love to see it flying

Drum roll sound effect (0 min 9 sec)
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 12, 2017 at 07:49 PM.
Apr 12, 2017, 09:00 PM
When cows fly!
Adam,
Good job on the pod, and yes you have big nuts! I would recommend GG instead of hot glue for the joints on plywood. JMO
Apr 13, 2017, 03:24 PM
I have a question about former 'F1'.

As shown on the plans it doesn't seem to fit with the power pod (see my diagram what I made all by myself!). I'm guessing it needs an opening through which to slide the pod? And maybe taller?

The staggerwing is undergoing repairs due to a slight clash with a tree stump! I'll definitely get some video when I next fly it. It's another beautiful flier Hard to land though, it just wants to keep flying!

David, do you mean the white gorilla glue?
Last edited by scorchythebear; Apr 13, 2017 at 03:32 PM.
Apr 13, 2017, 06:29 PM
Quote:
I have a question about former 'F1'.
As shown on the plans it doesn't seem to fit with the power pod (see my diagram what I made all by myself!). I'm guessing it needs an opening through which to slide the pod? And maybe taller?
Sorry mate, I forgot to change the 2 front formers on the plan after I had modified the front to take the pod, I did the front panel and floor but forgot the formers ... oops ... please let me know if you find anything else on the fuselage and I will do the mods on the plan

PDF enclosed are the 2 new formers .. just A4 paper

By the way ... great drawing wot u did .. you are a master at most things aren't you ... bit of a dark horse we have here guys

Yes David, I wasn't all that keen when I used hot glue on the ply but wasn't too sure what would be best ?? we don't get the white GG here and I have used the foaming type glue before and didn't like it much ... maybe the white wood glue ?? but it take a week of Sundays to dry ... and my thumbs would be sore holding it for a week of Sundays

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 13, 2017 at 06:41 PM.
Apr 13, 2017, 06:44 PM
Cheers Lockey I thought it'd be something simple. I was thinking of laminating the front former with some 1 mm ply to protect it a bit. Good idea or not necessary?

The drawing was a bit of a cheat . I just traced the bits in sketchup and rendered them. I am gradually getting the hang of it though. I tend to reach a certain point then get stuck! However, the point I'm getting stuck at is moving forward all the time!

Hopefully I'll have a maiden of this little beauty by Saturday/Sunday.
Last edited by scorchythebear; Apr 13, 2017 at 06:52 PM.
Apr 13, 2017, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Cheers Lockey i thought it'd be something simple. I was thinking of laminating the front former with some 1 mm ply to protect it a bit. Good idea or not necessary?

The drawing was a bit of a cheat . I just traced the bits in sketchup and rendered them. I am gradually getting the hang of it though. I tend to reach a certain point then get stuck! However, the point I'm getting stuck at is moving forward all the time!

Hopefully I'll have a maiden of this little beauty by Saturday/Sunday.
Think it would be a good idea to add a ply doubler to the front former mate, even the 2mm lite-ply would do the job and very light .. cant wait to see the maiden and lots more build pics

The way you are going with Sketchup Adam ... you will be soon ready to do your first airplane design .. will look forward to that .. if you need any tips I am happy to help

I have added a 2 mm Former to the PDF

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 13, 2017 at 08:10 PM.
Apr 14, 2017, 10:10 AM
Yeah I'm enjoying the sketchup. I tend to learn by just doing things, I'm not much of a one for manuals No doubt I will have a few (dozen) questions when I fire it up and try and design something properly so any assistance would of course be much appreciated

Today I have been mainly making the boy's a den in the woods so I've been messing about with a machete which is great fun All my limbs are still where they should be so that's a bonus!

In terms of the build I've reached the best stage where things go together fairly quickly. Adding the formers and this fuselage skins!