Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 07, 2017, 07:50 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Build Log

Mini Rumpler Taube .. Swap Pod Series

Hi guys, another model to add to the Swap Pod Series

My good mate Adam (scorchythebear) will be heading up this one as he has very generously volunteered to do the first build

Good luck with the build mate, I hope there aren't too many mistakes on the plan /patterns

Look forward to seeing pics of the build ... please please ... not purple

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 07, 2017 at 09:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2017, 07:50 PM
Reserved for specs etc

Lockey
Apr 08, 2017, 01:09 AM
Subscribed. I like the bird like silhouette.
Apr 08, 2017, 07:24 PM
The larger version really is lovely in the air Michael, glides beautifully and has a very bird like look to it. It's also very kind to inexperienced flyers like me.

I've printed the plans and have been messing around with the HK foam prior to building to get a feel for it. It really is very soft so you have be so careful to make sure your build surface is clean otherwise you end up with lots of dents and scratches. But it is very cheap, just over 1.00 a sheet.

I'm waiting on some 2mm plywood, but I think I'll start the build tomorrow to get the foamy bits done.
Apr 09, 2017, 08:13 PM

The wings

I still don't have my plywood so I though I'd start with the wings. Everyone loves making wings!

Over to the pictures...
Apr 11, 2017, 05:32 AM

For Lockey's attention

Only one teeny problem with the wing patterns

The invisible balsa spar!

I'm lucky enough to have a supply of invisible balsa so I added them but they are a bugger to cut out (I couldn't find my invisible saw) so I suggest you skip them
Apr 11, 2017, 08:09 AM
Hey Adam, thanks so much for a fantastic build log, the build looks really nice mate

I didn't bother with he balsa spar on this one as I am sure it will be plenty strong enough without it

How did you go with the Servos in the wing ? I thought on this one it might have to be cut into the bottom part of the wing as it isn't quite as thick as the bigger one

Sorry haven't come in sooner but have been away for a couple of days

Lockey
Apr 11, 2017, 08:12 AM
Yep it's plenty strong enough without one. The wing looks lovely and dinky at this span.

The servos are a little too big inside the wing. Smaller servos < 9g might work or as you say do a cut out.

Me being stubborn I just 'squished' (technical term) them in. The wing looks and feels OK so we'll see how it goes!
Last edited by scorchythebear; Apr 11, 2017 at 08:24 AM.
Apr 11, 2017, 08:29 AM
When cows fly!
Once again the technical terms confound me! Good job so far!
Apr 11, 2017, 08:35 AM
I'm going to do a series of short videos on building various parts of my planes ... or at least how I do it ... and add them to my web site

Starting with ..

1. Glueing the pattern to the foam, cutting out and marking the various parts
2. Making a clear packaging tape hinge for ailerons, elevator or rudder
3. Scoring and bending / rolling and gluing a "roll over" wing
4. Rolling the fuselage parts
5. Fitting and wiring up the servos
6. Fitting the control horns and push rods
7. ???

I guess its like teaching some of you guys how to suck eggs but there are guys out there who have asked me to show them how to do some of these things ...AND ... it will save me repeating these things on every build ... any other things ... please let me know

Lockey
Apr 11, 2017, 08:47 AM
Excellent idea! Be sure to throw in some technical terms!

Speaking as a inexperienced builder this would be a valuable resource to have. I found that most of the information on how to get started is out there, it's just spread around all over the place.
Apr 11, 2017, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchythebear
Excellent idea! Be sure to throw in some technical terms!

Speaking as a inexperienced builder this would be a valuable resource to have. I found that most of the information on how to get started is out there, it's just spread around all over the place.
You know Adam, the questions I get asked most are ... how to roll the foam and how to transfer the patterns to the foam

I see some real complicated ways of doing hinges and the packaging tape hinges are so quick easy to do I use this method on all my builds now ... AND ... I have never had one let me down

I think we have to remember ... We are not building full scale models .. we are building Ez-build foamies .. and although we want them to look nice, we aren't looking for perfection we are looking for a decent job and something nice to fly, crash and fix

Lockey
Apr 11, 2017, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
I think we have to remember ... We are not building full scale models .. we are building Ez-build foamies .. and although we want them to look nice, we aren't looking for perfection we are looking for a decent job and something nice to fly, crash and fix
This is why it's fun!

I have to confess I'm not great at the old bending so a video would be good.

My plywood arrived but I'll do the woody bits tomorrow. Today, after a trip to Brighton, I decided to get most of the other foam pieces done. So apologies if it's a bit chaotic but I'm beginning with the bendy bits..

A quick note if you have it and you're not doing this in the front room with the wife watching and you don't have history of using blue spray paint in the kitchen so now there's a soft blue sheen on everything (which you can only really see if it's sunny or if you move the appliances), use 3m77 to glue the plans to the foam. I used tape on this occasion for these exact reasons.
Last edited by scorchythebear; Apr 11, 2017 at 05:42 PM.
Apr 11, 2017, 07:20 PM
Adam .. you are a master at this mate, you can have a job building prototypes for me any time

One thing mate, you might want to strengthen your hinges like this ... see pics

Lockey

A couple of short videos I did a while back on rolling Depron

Rolling Depron and MPF (1 min 56 sec)

Into to Builds (18 min 8 sec)
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 11, 2017 at 07:31 PM.