Apr 07, 2017, 01:16 PM
Never Stop Learning
Thread OP
Question

GoPro + Runcam for FPV

Hi all,

building my first hexa and planning to put a gimbal w/ GoPro camera on it and I would like to ask you what setup you're using in such case? is it possible to use GoPro for FPV and video recording at the same time? Or should I mount additional camera like Runcam Eagle for live video feed?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2017, 07:57 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makintoshas
Hi all,

building my first hexa and planning to put a gimbal w/ GoPro camera on it and I would like to ask you what setup you're using in such case? is it possible to use GoPro for FPV and video recording at the same time? Or should I mount additional camera like Runcam Eagle for live video feed?
If you have old GoPro Hero 2, it can be both for recording for FPV cause it has video out aux port.
But for latest GoPro Hero 3 and above we usually used secondary FPV camera (eg: Runcam swift/Sony CCD or other CMOS 600TVL) for better FPV live video reaction time during flight and avoid running out of battery runtime on Hero 3/4/5 during mid flight.
Last edited by ican3d; Apr 07, 2017 at 08:05 PM.
Apr 08, 2017, 05:15 AM
Never Stop Learning
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d
If you have old GoPro Hero 2, it can be both for recording for FPV cause it has video out aux port.
But for latest GoPro Hero 3 and above we usually used secondary FPV camera (eg: Runcam swift/Sony CCD or other CMOS 600TVL) for better FPV live video reaction time during flight and avoid running out of battery runtime on Hero 3/4/5 during mid flight.
Ok, that leads me to another question, how/where to mount FPV camera, so I could see video at the same (more or less) angle as GoPro (considering that GoPro is on a gimbal)?
Apr 13, 2017, 01:39 AM
ultra cheap pilot
I mounted my FPV camera under the gimbal damper (static) . Else you could try mounted on the GoPro gimbal case but it would move around a lot with the Gopro camera as you move the gimbal around instead of where the quad goes which leads to flight dis-orientation. Your choice.
Apr 17, 2017, 02:35 AM
Never Stop Learning
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d
I mounted my FPV camera under the gimbal damper (static) . Else you could try mounted on the GoPro gimbal case but it would move around a lot with the Gopro camera as you move the gimbal around instead of where the quad goes which leads to flight dis-orientation. Your choice.
Good point..

Quick Reply