May 26, 2019, 12:27 PM
Forever Tinkering w/ Stuff
Hi,
When I built my Schwing - I removed the mounting tabs from the servos and glue them directly to the top wing skin. I read somewhere, that this is okay if you mix a bit of mirco-balloons with the epoxy because it makes it possible to snap the servo out.
However, if you don't want to go down that road. Try reducing the size of the mounting frame and grinding U-channels to reach the bottom screw of the servo tray. You can open the servo well in the wing too. Only 1/16" flange is needed to hold the covers.
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2019, 03:19 PM
Thx Jimbo - since this is my first build of something pricey as this, I think I stick to the IDS frames. The result on the 88" wings are out of this world. Rock solid as nothing I´ve made before.

Measuring one more time I can´t make out the equation IDS+KST125 in the Corsa wings without moving holes and horns 5mm tip wise. And I won´t do that.

But if I put it like this: is the 135-servos (5kg torque) enough for the flaps on the corsa wings? Then I´ll order some more of those and save the others for some other project.
May 26, 2019, 05:22 PM
Forever Tinkering w/ Stuff
I just used X10 mini for the flaps and X08+ for the Ailerons in my Stormbird.
I think 5kg is more than enough power. People tend to want a metal-replaceable gear train for the flap servos. Because if one lands flaps down the gears can get stripped.
May 27, 2019, 12:01 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12
Hi,
... and glue them directly to the top wing skin. I read somewhere, that this is okay if you mix a bit of mirco-balloons with the epoxy because it makes it possible to snap the servo out.
As long as you wrap your servo in either shrinkwrap (as used for battery packs, or electrical tape. Then you just cut the wrap or tape, and pull the servo out.
May 28, 2019, 09:09 AM
Fully Sending It
How do you guys place your 2.4 antennas? I found a V shape out of the top of the fuse behind the canopy, but forward of the wing, worked well yesterday. But I wonder if there is a better alternative?

Thoroughly impressed with this airplane, threw it out for 20mins of the most perfect slope weather one could ask for. Solid locked in feel, and man is she fast!
Latest blog entry: My relationship with Hitec
May 28, 2019, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
How do you guys place your 2.4 antennas?
There is no carbon in my nose. Why not just stick them inside?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
May 28, 2019, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12
I just used X10 mini for the flaps and X08+ for the Ailerons in my Stormbird.
I think 5kg is more than enough power. People tend to want a metal-replaceable gear train for the flap servos. Because if one lands flaps down the gears can get stripped.
Thx Jimbo. I’ll just stick to kst135 all around then.

May 28, 2019, 08:47 PM
Fully Sending It
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Brinck
There is no carbon in my nose. Why not just stick them inside?

No way to route the antennas 90 to each other inside the nose. And their close proximity to the battery poses a potential issue. In range checking, I was able to achieve a lockout roughly 50% of the time, the only way that seemed to work the best was like I mentioned.

By the way, Hitec D145SW on the wing, HS-7115TH on the elevator, and D89MW on the rudder made for an amazingly crisp flying airplane on 2s lipo.
May 29, 2019, 12:37 AM
Quote:
No way to route the antennas 90 to each other inside the nose. And their close proximity to the battery poses a potential issue. In range checking, I was able to achieve a lockout roughly 50% of the time, the only way that seemed to work the best was like I mentioned.

Hmm - interesting. I haven’t come that far yet but I hear what you’re saying. This is the most crammed nose I ever tried to do an install within. And the most expensive one too . I usually just run one antenna backwards and one to the front or tape the ends in 90dgr and stuff it wherever there is room - with no range issues. But I will make an extensive range check with this one. Sea slopes and losing signal is baaaad...

Jun 02, 2019, 06:44 PM
Cant fly enough
Quote:

By the way, Hitec D145SW on the wing, HS-7115TH on the elevator, and D89MW on the rudder made for an amazingly crisp flying airplane on 2s lipo.
I put one antenna longitudinally in the battery bay and the other 90 deg to it starting at the bottom and curving up the side. It works fine, even with all the additional carbon tow
Jun 02, 2019, 07:58 PM
Cant fly enough
I flew the Corsa again today after the repair in 35+ MPH.

All I have to say is WOW! WOW! In addition to being FAST, the acrobatics are super! Four point rolls are beautiful, Cuban 8's and hammerheads look super and it will loop very tightly without snapping out!

I'm flying at ~99mm which requires the slightest back-pressure when flying inverted. The dive test confirmed it will slowly pull out of a dive. So you could definitely move it back a bit...but Corsa builds up crazy speed quickly in a dive and a little nose-heavy natural pull up ain't all bad....

Prior to landing, while trying to sort out the elevator compensation in crow the right flap stuck at 45 deg down. Nothing would get it to retract so I dropped the left flap to the same approximate angle, trimmed for slightly nose down attitude and attempted to come around and land. I ended up too low and draggy and ended up getting pulled down by the backside rotor (not the only one today).

The landing wasn't pretty but the extra fuselage reinforcement paid off and there wasn't any damage.

On the ground the flap worked fine, the wiper was not hanging up. A friend suggested the flying load might be slightly bending the wing causing the bind. Sure enough, with a bit of bend the flap stuck at 45 deg with the wiper binding somewhere inside the wing. I'll sand it all out until the wiper moves smoothly under a bit of a bend.

Another flyer pointed out that if I had simply rolled inverted I could have retracted the flap.... I'll remember that for next time!

Again a super flying plane! With better production quality control and end of line inspection it would be world class!
Jun 03, 2019, 01:18 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Quote:
How do you guys place your 2.4 antennas? I found a V shape out of the top of the fuse behind the canopy, but forward of the wing, worked well yesterday. But I wonder if there is a better alternative?
I have the (Frsky) Rx just in front of the LE, and drilled 2mm holes on either side of the fuse for the antennas. My 2S LiIon pack is in front of the (cut in half) servo tray.
Jun 03, 2019, 10:49 AM
Fully Sending It
Got plenty of stick time yesterday, even though I had a lockout Somehow I neglected to point the tip of my antenna 90* to the side, we concluded I had pointed the cone of silence directly at my airplane which caused it to lock out and head for the valley floor. Soon as I lifted my antenna skyward she came back

Really diggin this airplane
Jun 03, 2019, 11:50 AM
Should be receiving my replacement Corsa today or tomorrow. Wasn’t as lucky as you when it browned out at Davenport exactly a year ago.
By the way which radio are you using Mr. Express?
Jun 03, 2019, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Got plenty of stick time yesterday, even though I had a lockout Somehow I neglected to point the tip of my antenna 90* to the side, we concluded I had pointed the cone of silence directly at my airplane which caused it to lock out and head for the valley floor. Soon as I lifted my antenna skyward she came back

Really diggin this airplane
If I understand correctly, you have the antennas behind the canopy and at the top, this placement would actually be rather poor as you have moved your antennas very close the the carbon in this plane, and close to one another. The wings have carbon in them, especially in the D-box areas. When you have both antennas in that area it becomes much easier to blank them out with that carbon.

I have my antennas laying down inside the fuselage, maybe one of them is kicked off at 90 degrees. I would have to check. Sometimes I just have one forward and one rearward. I try and keep them away from metal, carbon and battery and away from each other. In the Corsa, hard to avoid these things as I have metal cased servos. Anyhow, no radio reception issues even when flying at Mammoth mountain when the plane was flying pretty far away.

You are correct, never point your antenna at the plane. I keep mine folded to one side of the transmitter. Exactly the way it stores in my radio case. Pretty much the perfect orientation as all of your signal comes off the side of the antenna. (Always wondered about the brands that have molded antennas that point out the top.. Might look good, but pretty poor orientation.

-Wayne

Quick Reply