Cherokee Build Project - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Oct 14, 2004, 04:17 AM
Registered User
Seadog's Avatar

Cherokee Build Project


Gents,

Some of you may have seen my Cherokee in Quiet Flyer a while ago, and I have been contacted by a number of people who picked up the plans and are in various stages of building....from "thinking about it" to "finished!" The finished one belongs to Earl Mosely of California, and he has kindly consented to me using his build pictures in the forum to document the construction.

I will start with a teaser of Earl with his finished model, and over the next few weeks (because I am leaving on holidays today and won't be connecting regularly) will add build pictures.

The end result is a quarter-scale Cherokee II at 132". It's a nice size to transport and a lightweight plane that thermals well, although you may be able to detect a slightly less than "sleek" look! If you like balsa dust, this may be an option for you, or it may give you some other ideas to work on. I hope so!

Here goes....feedback, questions, comments welcome, although as mentioned, there may be a wee delay over the next two weeks.

Dave Smith
Last edited by Seadog; Oct 14, 2004 at 05:53 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2004, 12:09 PM
Registered User
Steve Moskal's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog
Gents,

Some of you may have seen my Cherokee in Quiet Flyer a while ago, and I have been contacted by a number of people who picked up the plans and are in various stages of building....from "thinking about it" to "finished!" The finished one belongs to Earl Mosely of California, and he has kindly consented to me using his build pictures in the forum to document the construction.

I will start with a teaser of Earl with his finished model, and over the next few weeks (because I am leaving on holidays today and won't be connecting regularly) will add build pictures.

The end result is a quarter-scale Cherokee II at 132". It's a nice size to transport and a lightweight plane that thermals well, although you may be able to detect a slightly less than "sleek" look! If you like balsa dust, this may be an option for you, or it may give you some other ideas to work on. I hope so!

Here goes....feedback, questions, comments welcome, although as mentioned, there may be a wee delay over the next two weeks.

Dave Smith
Dave,
I greatly admire your work and this comment may surprise you. I subscribe to Quiet Flyer and the photo of the bare bones showed your tow release. This caused me to rip out my Hobby Lobby release that I'd laboriously worked into the nose of my TG-2. I could "see" the simplicity of your release. And it worked flawlessly. I took it to Woodcrafters 04 for my first aerotow experience. Simple solutions like yours are the most elegant. When some other competitors' releases failed to release, my ancient TG-2 was consistent and flawless - a great confidence builder.

With zero aerotow experience, I had nightmares the night before the first flight. I was second in line for tow when Mike realized his KA-8 ailerons weren't hooked up. My tow plane pilot grinned at me and beckoned me to hook up. My first tow and all the others were so mesmerizing that I almost forgot to fly the sailplane. Our team (My wife Mary always times for me and coaches my technique.) won the contest and the only thing stopping more flying (I was totally crazed and hooked on aerotowing by this point!) was the breakdown of the tug's motor.

I am documenting a Cherokee at the Wabash Valley Soaring club in Lawrenceville, IL which is just primed white as of this writing. I'm going to follow this thread with great interest. A 132" span model will just look right. I also need a cool Cherokee color scheme for a great attention getting presentation.
Keep up the good work,
Steve
Oct 16, 2004, 01:26 PM
Registered User
Seadog's Avatar

Cherokee Build


Steve,

Thanks for the kind words. First off, I can't claim credit for the tow release; I read it on Asher Carmichaels hints page at http://www.sailplanes.com/asher.htm

Here are the first of the build pictures,
The first is a shot of the two trusses being framed up. Unlike most craft, they are top and bottom instead of two sides. Because of the Cherokee's canoe nose and sharp curvature, the top and bottom method works best. The second shot shows the parts that are cut from 1/8 ply.
Oct 17, 2004, 03:27 PM
Registered User
Ranfred Radius's Avatar
A friend of mine has a Cherokee II in the bones, sitting in his hangar. It is truly a work of art! I'll see if he can forward some photos to me and I'll post them here.

Randy
Oct 18, 2004, 02:53 PM
RCGroups Author
SoarNeck's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Moskal
When some other competitors' releases failed to release, my ancient TG-2 was consistent and flawless - a great confidence builder.
Sorry to sneak in here, but could you describe the covering/finishing technique you used on your TG-2 please Steve? I have a TG-3 under way, and am investigating possibilities. I used 21st Century Fabric on my Minimoa, and it was expensive and prone to popping seams.

If you don't want to reply here, I have a thread going on the TG-3 in this forum.

Dave - beautiful Cherokee you're describing here. I must have missed that issue of QF, but I usually only glance through them at the hobby store quickly (too much parkflier nonsense for my liking).
Oct 26, 2004, 02:26 PM
Registered User
I happen to be a builder of a Cherokee II and am now a RC glider person. I started mine in 1967 and finished in 1975. I have flown it about 350 hours mostly at Montague in northern California. It is in the process of being restored after a canopy mishap. It seems strange to be working on a homebuilt that now qualifys as "vintage". In building the 1-1 version the fuselage sides are done first then joined with crosspieces at the top and bottom. It went together just like a stick model. I will gladly answer any questions and soon post pictures of the uncovered glider. My glider was featured in the May 1987 Kitplane magazine. Regards Dean Gradwell www.xcsoaring.com
Oct 28, 2004, 03:14 PM
Registered User
Steve Moskal's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarNeck
Sorry to sneak in here, but could you describe the covering/finishing technique you used on your TG-2 please Steve? I have a TG-3 under way, and am investigating possibilities. I used 21st Century Fabric on my Minimoa, and it was expensive and prone to popping seams.

If you don't want to reply here, I have a thread going on the TG-3 in this forum.

Dave - beautiful Cherokee you're describing here. I must have missed that issue of QF, but I usually only glance through them at the hobby store quickly (too much parkflier nonsense for my liking).
Regrets on this late reply, SoarNeck.
The covering is yellow and aluminum MonoKote. After reworking the nose for aerotowing, I elected to spray TopFlite LustreKote to finish off the flash. Monokote in the "zeppelin-like" nose was a bear. Roundels and US ARMY lettering was sticky-backed MonoKote "floated" on a thin detergent-water solution to slide and align in place. The new coverings interest me, but MonoKote coverings gave my model that factory-fresh gloss that I show the judges in my documentation. I hope this helps, if not ask for more.

The TG-3 is a great flying subject. Jack Hiner still flies with me and he did (as I recall) a TG-3 plan prior to my TG-2 in MAN.
Yours in the struggle,
Steve
Oct 28, 2004, 03:39 PM
stuck in ol' Uffni again...
ShredAir's Avatar

Full-size Cherokee


Here are two photos of Dean Gradwell's Cherokee taken in mid-June, 2004.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Oct 28, 2004, 04:18 PM
RCGroups Author
SoarNeck's Avatar
Thanks very much - didn't expect that out of Monokote! Looks great
Oct 29, 2004, 08:54 AM
Registered User
Seadog's Avatar

Cherokee Build - Finally!


Sorry guys, I was a little more disconnected than I thought I would be on my holidays (in more ways than one...it was great!), but here goes with the continuation of Cherokee build shots. Any more shots of full-size are obviously greatly appreciated, as particularly there don't seem to be too many that you can find on-line and therefore colour schemes are a bit rare.

These three shots show the basic top and bottom trusses asembled with the main formers. The top is kept level with the building board and parallel to the cockpit bottom. The third shot shows rear truss with the vertical pieces in the place.
Oct 29, 2004, 09:12 AM
Registered User
Ranfred Radius's Avatar
Dean Gradwell has a disk with additional photos of his full-size Cherokee. I will get the disk over the weekend and post the photos ASAP.

Randy
Oct 29, 2004, 10:20 AM
Registered User
Steve Moskal's Avatar

Outstanding construction pics


Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog
Sorry guys, I was a little more disconnected than I thought I would be on my holidays (in more ways than one...it was great!), but here goes with the continuation of Cherokee build shots. Any more shots of full-size are obviously greatly appreciated, as particularly there don't seem to be too many that you can find on-line and therefore colour schemes are a bit rare.

These three shots show the basic top and bottom trusses asembled with the main formers. The top is kept level with the building board and parallel to the cockpit bottom. The third shot shows rear truss with the vertical pieces in the place.
Dave,
I know the model world is mad for ARFs. But, it is so satisfying to see hand cut wood being laid up into a gorgeous geometric structure.
Best of all - it will take to the skies! Sorry, just falling into the scratch builder's reverie.
Steve
Oct 30, 2004, 04:34 AM
Registered User
Seadog's Avatar

Nose Construction


Nose Construction - is based on a central keel which has doublers to accept the tow release. I will attach a schematic of the tow release in another post. If you have a set of the plans, you can see that Earl has added diagonals to transfer any loads from the nose skid and distribute them to the top and bottom longerons. This diagonal was not on my original drawings, but if I were to build a second model I would add them as insurance. There have been no problems with the original construction, but it hasn't been tested to failure yet!

The second picture shows the addition of the rest of the top rear formers, and the first of the side stringers being added. When I built the prototype, I waited until later in the building process to add the side stringers so that I would have easier access to the nose, but obviously either sequence works.

The third photo shows the receiver/battery tray which is designed to be removable. It just slides in and in my case was held with a small ply clip and baby cotter pin.


(aargh...forum reordered my pictures but I think you can figure it out. I will attach 1 photo per post from now on)

Dave
Last edited by Seadog; Jun 14, 2007 at 09:36 AM.
Oct 30, 2004, 09:29 AM
Registered User
Seadog's Avatar

Tow Release


Here's the tow release that Steve is referring to. Very simple...just a U-shaped piece strongly attached to the keel (or into a nose block if that is what you have on your sailplane). The rod to the servo has a straight and short high-leverage pull; put it in an inside hole on the servo arm as it only has to move about 1/4". Stick the loop from the towline through the "U" and lock in place with the straight wire from the servo.

As Steve says, it is very simple and almost foolproof.
Oct 31, 2004, 10:32 AM
Registered User
Seadog's Avatar
Here's the center section of the wing starting to take shape. These shots are from my model, so you will see some minor differences between it and Earl's. In this picture you can see the two inner ribs slotted into the formers and the two outer ribs on the end of mini center-section spars. The center section is built just like the rest of the wing; leading edge, spars, etc.

You can also see the blade wing joiner, the Multiplex Multilock wing joiners forward of the joiner, an aluminum tube to pass servo connections through, and a brass tube for the alignment in at the rear (which I don't use because the Multilock joiners provide sufficient alignment). Also there is a spruce cross brace near the TE to deal with compession loads at that point. If I were to build again, I would move it slightly further back to be more efficient.

Dave


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A6M2 Rufe Build Project dionysusbacchus Waterplanes 5 Oct 27, 2008 10:35 AM
Idea Build project over winter to match IC trainers lordseth Scale Kit/Scratch Built 5 Aug 23, 2004 05:36 PM
Cherokee build Chippie The Builders Workshop 0 Dec 31, 2003 12:13 PM
Ultimate Scratch Build Project... JBowling Parkflyers 2 Jan 02, 2003 08:39 AM
My first Design Scratch Build Project Heather Electric Plane Talk 20 Jul 22, 2001 11:03 AM