A warning to beginners: GET OUT NOW - Page 3 - RC Groups
May 01, 2017, 08:14 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Bob, you're right, it really isn't for everyone, but I wouldn't really say that it's either build OR fly... I find flying what I've built to be extremely satisfying. I build 'em TO fly 'em, I just happen to love it while I'm doing it. I didn't explain it very well either, but after a time, when you've got your tools and building area, and you've been able to justify buying your hardware and supplies in quantity. *eventually* it becomes economical to build your own, but it takes time! The main economic advantage for me was that I could buy materials and supplies bit by bit as the build progressed, at a rate I could afford. I decided to get back into it (after 30 years, and I'd never got very far the first time, just a couple of build-up kits) because I had been laid off, was very broke, going nutzoid with boredom, and I could only afford free plans and maybe $20 in balsa or supplies every 2 weeks from my unemployment benefits. I could have lay-by'd some ARF, maybe, and waited until I'd paid it off slowly (if I could get terms that long!), and unfortunately those attractive, all-in-one trainer/radio/motor/engine sets were totally out of my reach. But I did have some VERY basic tools, and time, and the internet. Having gone through that slow process, now I'm more than happy to build my next models and they're much, much easier after that. So is repairing and rebuilding. Honestly, it's only slow and laborious the first time.

If you just want to fly soon and as much as possible, then yes,simply assembling something is the way to go. But, for some of us, the building is just as interesting and rewarding, and I say that flying those models is even better. Crashing them might sound like a heart break, but my build thread for my first build covers that too. The build more than prepared me with the skills to fix it, and even improve it, and it really is the better for it. I'd improved by then. It only took a few nights, and I came to realise I could have done it in a day, plus the model was now BETTER. When I arrived at the field with it the first time, the newbie with the home-made plans build, people were very interested. I didn't do the test flight, but it was a success, and people actually clapped! Everyone was very interested to see it. They said nice things, but there was no magic in it or master craftsmanship, just following the plans step by step. The feeling of seeing it fly so well after all that work was just great, that's for sure. Lots of achievement.

Y'know, if you have a laser cutter's shop make a short-form kit for you from CAD plans, or if you've got something like a scroll saw or other way of saving time preparing the basic parts, you can wind up with a "kitted" build pretty easily, and then you're not far off the same thing as assembling many ARF's. Here's my first build: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post34805002 See just recently how Chmshaw has been working on a similar build, he's made the wings, the fuselage upper section, sides with formers and so on in sections. Each section isn't so hard... then those sections go together pretty easily. He's investing in a quality build surface and jig system that greatly simplifies construction. I just did mine on a coffee table with pencil lines to align it, but once again, that's the control and choice building gives you - you can do it meticulous with no money, but it'll be slow. You can do it cheap and fast, but it won't be so nice. You can do it first class and quickly, but you'll have to spend up. But you get to choose what suits you. (A guitar repairer's shop I knew had a sign in it, a triangle in 3 sections - "You can have it... FAST - CHEAP - GOOD. Choose any two.")

So, if you want it to be, building CAN be efficient and not so slow, but it DOES take extra effort, time and expense to build with convenience, and there's a large learning curve to climb. But the benefits are large when you get there - you can have ANY model you want, just the way you want it, and you're REALLY gonna be proud of it. You have total control over its design, the materials you choose, whether it's quick and dirty or a masterpiece, that's all under your control. I love that about it. My next build is just a flat board foam SPAD, I plan to make it in a day. That one took about 1 month of work and about 7 more months of learning and generally procrastinating. I totally love it.

Pro's and cons to anything, as always of course. I hope there is a continuing strong popular market for easy-to-prepare, quality ARF and BNF etc. models that people can just buy and fly, that's good for everybody. It keeps the clubs strong, keeps stores open, with parts for us builders too , and the hobby healthy with new blood. But without some people building, and designing, and modifying, and being there to repair them, that's going to be harder. What's so great about RC is the range and depth and variety of the hobby - build-up kits, scratch builds, ARF, free plans, custom orders, bind-n-fly, jets, glow, gas, electric, analog, digital, gyro's, the latest cutting edge or traditional old timers and everything in between.... I hope no one of these "wins" because then the others lose! Let them all contribute and benefit. I like my part of it, and I hope you're enjoying yours too.
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2017, 08:18 AM
Sorry Bob I didn't really read or understand your post properly before I set off on my epic... thanks for writing it and now I get it. You're right about the savings part. I'm still hoping I can convince SOME more people to try building, and not necessarily traditional balsa, I'd love to see young people using new materials and designs and innovating in RC. Thanks for your post.
May 01, 2017, 09:18 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
For the type of plane I fly, building would be incredibly expensive and time consuming compared to purchasing. There are very few people that make their own F5B planes and I give them all the credit in the world for doing it but it's not for me. Buying the molds alone would require a second mortgage
May 05, 2017, 05:09 AM
Little green man
Too late. I already don't want to know how much I spent on this
May 05, 2017, 06:40 AM
San Antonio TX.
It is a our hobby and our sport, we aren't suppose to know what we spend...

Bob
May 05, 2017, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei
It is a our hobby and our sport, we aren't suppose to know what we spend...

Bob
Exactly Bob, you put in the resources, time and money that it takes, and you find a way, no matter what. When you want to do something that much, you do it. Working out ways to justify it later is more to convince ourselves than for anyone else. I don't care if it'd cost me 100x as much, I like building my models and I'll keep doing it. I'd like to use new materials and techniques, too - already I've spent more on tools and other ways to help me build in the style I want than I ever would on materials. Eventually I'll build a foam core cutter and maybe even a laser cutter, and I'm sure THAT won't be the most economical way to do it either, but I'm sure going to enjoy it.
May 05, 2017, 09:45 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Once housing, food, transportation, education and retirement are squared away, who cares what is spent on our hobbies?.. Unfortunately, some people aren't squared away yet and then it's difficult to justify spending copious amounts of cash on this addiction. I did the math and I think a heroin habit would be cheaper.. ... (just kidding)
May 05, 2017, 10:03 AM
I have been in the hobby not even a year. I've got WAY to many planes. I have built some arfs and sold them do to I have to many planes. I recently got into the foam board foamies from FLITE TEST. The plans are free and the foam board is cheap. They are going to do me in. I want to build every plane they have. Building these is like a disease. Hell I'll build and give them away/sell them when I get to many. So if theres a foamboard shortage dont blame me!
May 05, 2017, 08:32 PM
I'm rekindling my interests in the hobby, any hobby/interest costs money, can't take it with you:-)
May 09, 2017, 12:14 PM
San Antonio TX.
So many airplanes, so little time...

Bob
May 09, 2017, 02:47 PM
I think THE aspect of the hobby which is most responsible for the going overboard addiction side of things is................................................ .......... right here. Internet forums. You see and hear all these other people saying "get it", or just raving about how great something is, you see other guys with 50 planes so think, heck, I'm not too bad, I only have 20 etc etc... Without internet forums (and clubs) most people wouldn't know it's not normal to have just one plane and to approach the hobby sensibly ha ha...
May 17, 2017, 03:04 AM

let them eat FOAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Once housing, food, transportation, education and retirement are squared away, who cares what is spent on our hobbies?.. Unfortunately, some people aren't squared away yet and then it's difficult to justify spending copious amounts of cash on this addiction. I did the math and I think a heroin habit would be cheaper.. ... (just kidding)
Dollar store foam planes for the poor. Lets take up a collection LOL we can arm wrestle for who gets it.
May 21, 2017, 10:56 AM
WW5
WW5
If people want to do the hobby, they can do it. YES it is a expensive hobby! But if people have enough money to spend then they can have at it! I've been in 1 year and I Do find it addictive but it's fun. My instructor has been in 45 years And he's fine!
Last edited by WW5; May 21, 2017 at 11:07 AM.
May 21, 2017, 11:23 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
No, you should save your money for root canals
May 21, 2017, 12:28 PM
WW5
WW5
Tic, I'm not trying to be mean or anything but if people want to do the hobby they can do it.

I'm just saying