A warning to beginners: GET OUT NOW - Page 2 - RC Groups
Apr 08, 2017, 09:16 PM
Quote:
I hopped in my car and chased the UPS truck down and asked him if he was SURE he didn't have a package for my address..
Are you retarded? That's just wrong
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2017, 09:24 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
It's not nice to make fun of "retarded" people..
Apr 09, 2017, 11:06 AM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by superlazy
Are you retarded? That's just wrong
Spelling error. It's spelled "retired."
Apr 09, 2017, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
It all starts innocently enough. "hey, I think I'll buy and RC airplane, it looks like fun and I've always wanted to try it" The cost is no longer prohibitive to get into the hobby (especially with electric) so you justify the purchase of a trainer by thinking you spend that much on one date, or beer or some other vice. You have some failures and some success.. You buy some extra battery packs because one pack isn't enough, you want to fly AGAIN and not have to wait for a battery to charge. You break a prop and see a replacement is just a few dollars, no biggie.. Soon you master your trainer and want something with more performance. This is where the problem begins and it only gets worse as time goes on.. After a year you no longer keep track of how much you've spent on the hobby. After two years you don't even want to know. Now you have several planes (or more) and need another charger and more batteries. You watch a video of a plane that's above your abilities and budget but think how awesome it would be to own and fly it.. The following year you splurge and buy your dream plane.. Now you've invested thousands of dollars and that boat or motorcycle you wanted no longer matters, RC is where it's at.. You'd rather fly then spend time with family and you are angry when you miss a good flying day due to other obligations.. Nobody understands your passion except other club members or people on this forum.. My advice is to get out NOW before this happens to you.. You can't go it alone, RC airplanes ARE a disease. Don't wait until you lose everything. Quit NOW.
How unbelievably on point.
It all started one evening while sitting on the porch. A guy a couple of houses down was flying in his yard and the wife and I agreed that it was really cool. She got me a Sportsman S+ trainer plane.
A year and 9 planes later, I am as sick as your story predicts. Every plane always needs just "one little upgrade", or it just won't do what I want, so I need another one.
Luckily, my wife is very patient, and she know's it's all her fault
I don't do drugs, I don't drink, and I don't chase women. A guys gotta have some kind of vice.
Apr 09, 2017, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Spelling error. It's spelled "retired."
I'M semi Retired and the wife says I'm semi retarded. LOL
The wife wanted me out of the house ( too young to retire bla) so I took a job as a RCA position at the Post office. Not a easy job
I'm careful but you want me to bust my balls don't complain when I spend a few $$$$$
Apr 19, 2017, 09:45 AM
So true

Name: me or RC.jpg
Views: 22
Size: 59.7 KB
Description:
Apr 21, 2017, 06:26 AM
Learn to build with wood.
My name is Tony, and I'm addicted to planes.

I started innocently enough with a plans built 3 channel, and then an Apprentice. I thought I could handle it, you know? I told myself I wouldn't be like these other guys with no self control. After 5 or 6 years, I've been through 40 or 50 planes (some of them more than once!).

I don't want to know the cost to date.
Apr 21, 2017, 08:56 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Luckily for many of us 'oldies', we actually know how to build model planes to keep the cost down.

Buying planes can be very expensive, you can end up with a load of pretty looking models hanging on walls and from ceiling, many probably took not much more than an hour to assemble so gave little in return for the cost.

Model planes can be addictive, but some of us are happy to be addicted to making rather than buying.

A big part of the interest in models is knowing you made it yourself, and you can always make another, cheaply, (cheapskate old farts are always smiling ).

Ray.
Apr 21, 2017, 07:57 PM
I used to build my planes many years ago. But finding kits anymore seems to be difficult, they sure dont seem to be nearly as available as they used to be. The foam planes have been pretty darn nice for me lately. I would love to build more again now that I am a better pilot, but do not see where it would be any cheaper.
Even an economy kit will be 70-100 bucks. Then you still need to get motor, esc, servos, receiver etc.. I can easily see building a plane run 200-250. My last few complete foamies were under 200 bind and go...
Apr 21, 2017, 09:19 PM
"Step on the ball"
Quote:
Originally Posted by putput
I used to build my planes many years ago. But finding kits anymore seems to be difficult, they sure dont seem to be nearly as available as they used to be. The foam planes have been pretty darn nice for me lately. I would love to build more again now that I am a better pilot, but do not see where it would be any cheaper.
Even an economy kit will be 70-100 bucks. Then you still need to get motor, esc, servos, receiver etc.. I can easily see building a plane run 200-250. My last few complete foamies were under 200 bind and go...
+1
I couldn't agree more-
I used to build, several decades ago. Then disaster struck- I had kids.
Most everything I had was sold. I managed to keep a few things, some FM radios, a couple of nitro motors, ect. Now I'm back, (my wife made the mistake of saying "why don't you get a plane" )I did tons of research, ( we have the internet now) and got into electric. Foamies were cheap, so I went that route.
3 months later, I have the Timber, a Mini Ultra Stick, a Dynam Waco and a Dynam C-188 Agwagon. I want to build again, but there are no NEW kits. All the same ol' kits that were around in the '80's. I built most of them and want something DIFFERENT.
I have the 4 of the 5 basic groups, a high wing, a low wing, a biplane and a funflyer (missing a warbird).
I'm content until I can find something worth my time to build. Then I'll buy all the "building equiptment"
Apr 28, 2017, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpoteet1
+1
I couldn't agree more-
I used to build, several decades ago. Then disaster struck- I had kids.
Most everything I had was sold. I managed to keep a few things, some FM radios, a couple of nitro motors, ect. Now I'm back, (my wife made the mistake of saying "why don't you get a plane" )I did tons of research, ( we have the internet now) and got into electric. Foamies were cheap, so I went that route.
3 months later, I have the Timber, a Mini Ultra Stick, a Dynam Waco and a Dynam C-188 Agwagon. I want to build again, but there are no NEW kits. All the same ol' kits that were around in the '80's. I built most of them and want something DIFFERENT.
I have the 4 of the 5 basic groups, a high wing, a low wing, a biplane and a funflyer (missing a warbird).
I'm content until I can find something worth my time to build. Then I'll buy all the "building equiptment"
http://www.btemodels.com/venture.html

Cuz everyone wants to know what I'm gunna do next!
Apr 28, 2017, 05:22 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
You should build a Mustang or a piper cub.. Plenty of kits around
Apr 28, 2017, 06:02 PM
It's not about money.

Since I was 10 years old and saw r/c jets on the internet I wanted one.

Fulfilling a childhood dream is priceless.
May 01, 2017, 12:44 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
I see lot of people in the hobby constantly saving for and buying ARF's, I don't really get this... surely after a couple of these, you're familiar enough with the construction, and had to do enough modifications, that building a kit or even from plans, isn't such a big step up? I know everyone says, oh I haven't got the time to build from plans, but good ARFs are costly. You could invest the price of one good one into a scroll saw, maybe a disc sander, or a foam cutting rig (even CNC?) and suddenly it's a heck of a lot faster and easier to build anything you want. That first build DOES take some time and effort, but you learn a great deal. The 2nd one comes together in a fraction of the time of the first, because you know what you're doing and it's easy, and you don't have to worry about whether someone already makes the model you want, in the size you want, with the features you want, and if you can afford, or find, or import that particular version... just scale the plans and make it! Viewing enough plans it becomes pretty clear how almost all models are built, it's not a major project to work out the structure for each one. I promise, it's less daunting than you think.

You can get thousands upon thousands of plans for free, literally (between the major sites there must easily be 50,000 for free, just in English). You can save most of the work if you have the parts cut out for you at a laser cutter's shop, and plenty of people advertise a foam wing core cutting service. With that done, you're already close to the level of most build up kits (such a shame there are so few left), and when many of the ARF's out there need so much work anyway, I don't see why you'd want to pay so much for them, and be limited in choice.

I get it that many people don't want to go that way, but then again, you might find building enjoyable. I sure do, and anyway, there are plenty of simple and basic designs to start with for practice, and being a member of RCG you have access to many experienced and helpful people. That alone makes it easier than ever. In previous decades, you had to build, with nothing but magazine articles for guidance (OK, we DID used to actually see people face to face sometimes, at the clubs, but with the Internet now all that uncomfortable and germ-ridden social contact is no longer necessary)... models were kits, at best, and that's what people did. ARF's and so on are definitely a step forward and have brought many people into the hobby who otherwise wouldn't be, and it's saved RC from dying a slow death... but if you've flown your first model or two, rather than step on the cycle of endlessly saving for the next one, why not consider expanding your building abilities? I know people who crash their model, and go and buy a new wing or fuselage for it from the store, usually waiting for it to be ordered in. Once you've built one full build, you'll never need to do that again, a repair will seem easy. I built my trainer from plans, and learned to fly on it, and I know *nobody* does this any more, but I have to say, I'm real glad I did. I will always be able to fix my own stuff, or make anything I want, and if I want to I can invest in better tools to make it easier and faster than ever. It was slow to do, because I really wanted to take the time to learn it right, but now I've done that, it's MUCH faster from here on in. It's worth it!

It's not *necessarily* cheaper to build a project this way, and that first one also means buying tools, plus a kit tends to be a better deal on all the materials and hardware, but once you're in the swing of it, and you've got a work space and some tools and extra materials, THEN it definitely is a lot cheaper. Plus, a kit or ARF means you have to spend all the money in one hit, but building you can just buy materials as you need them, which can be easier. In the long run, it's the way to go, and if you're REALLY into RC, you'll have many models, right? Building them, even partly, opens many doors for getting just the model you want, customising it, scaling it, changing it, repairing it... it's worth considering. I'd much rather that than simply buying someone else's work off the shelf. For me, at least half the pleasure of the hobby IS building them. The satisfaction of knowing that you built that model yourself is really something.
May 01, 2017, 07:16 AM
San Antonio TX.
I have never built a kit, or scratch built an airplane to save money, it cost more to build than buy an ARF, a BNF, or a P&P. Up until about 6 years ago I built just about everything I flew from the time I started flying models in 1963. Today I would just rather buy and assemble than build, I now have more time to sport fly than ever before. Building is a hobby, and flying really is a sport. IMO If you want to build, then build, if you want to fly, then buy! Over the years I have been married 4 times, my first three wives couldn't stand my hobby, or passion for aviation, even though I have loved the shape of airplanes since I was a small child and have made a very nice living in aviation all of my adult life, they thought I would change, or at least they could change me... strange girls.

Bob
Last edited by sensei; May 01, 2017 at 07:47 AM.