Apr 05, 2017, 07:46 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Looks to me this kind of plane is best used for endurance/long range flights and you'd want to keep it as sleek as possible with all FPV gear inside, whereas a Skyhunter will permit an external HD pan/tilt with a good but slower performance.

Would the goblin also be fit for racing ? Looks very good at tight maneuvers .

Darn I was wishing for a mini drak, but now I'm all mixed up
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2017, 08:10 PM
I think it'll be quite *good* for endurance/long range, but it's also good for going very very fast.
The sweet spot is somewhere in the middle. For years people have said they want a plane
that'll cruise at 60-80mph for 20+ minutes. This aircraft will do that easily, using
a fraction of the battery capacity of anything else. 2-3 packs and you can fly and charge
continuously all day.
Note that if you load it down with a lot of battery for max endurance it becomes a bit trickier
to launch and land because the stall speed is quite high.

While it certainly *could* be raced, part of racing involves crashing and it'll be a lot more
expensive to repair than many of the other dedicated race planes like the Strix Alatus.
This is the kind of thing you might use in an "open" class.
Apr 05, 2017, 08:11 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca
Looks to me this kind of plane is best used for endurance/long range flights and you'd want to keep it as sleek as possible with all FPV gear inside, whereas a Skyhunter will permit an external HD pan/tilt with a good but slower performance.

Would the goblin also be fit for racing ? Looks very good at tight maneuvers .

Darn I was wishing for a mini drak, but now I'm all mixed up

ditto,
I think 95% of us are on the same boat
Last edited by rclab1; Apr 05, 2017 at 08:16 PM.
Apr 05, 2017, 08:27 PM
what battery weights are you guys flying with? I would think a 4s 2P LI-ion setup might work well for this. 7000mah and not too heavy.
Apr 05, 2017, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
ditto,
I think 95% of us are on the same boat
I know I'm not. no interest in a drak. Want this much more.
Apr 05, 2017, 08:37 PM
Glad to see so much interest in this plane so far! We worked quite hard to make this a manufacturable plane that would perform like a custom hand-made plane (like the Graugans). This plane isn't for everyone, but it is certainly for those of you who appreciate aerodynamics and high end performance.

As a side note, we WILL be selling a kit version of the Goblin for those of you that like building yourself. Also, a full suite of replacement parts will be available
Apr 05, 2017, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappomatt
what battery weights are you guys flying with? I would think a 4s 2P LI-ion setup might work well for this. 7000mah and not too heavy.
Anything from 4S 3300 to 4S 5000 has mentioned already in this thread and yes I also said that a 4S2P Li-ion pack would work great for 100+km range .
Apr 05, 2017, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderman111
As a side note, we WILL be selling a kit version of the Goblin for those of you that like building yourself. Also, a full suite of replacement parts will be available
Yay!
Apr 05, 2017, 09:35 PM
ZEmersonFPV on YT
I've flown mine with a 7 amp li-ion pack from Titan Power (awesome li-ions for cheap!). The pack weighs 405 grams so the Goblin easily handles it. Though with all my gear and 7 amp li-ion, the best (lowest) amp draw I could get @45 mph was about 5 amps on a calm day. Veeery respectable. And I could probably still improve on that a bit. Maybe get it to 4 amps @ 45mph.
Apr 05, 2017, 09:56 PM
Wandering IT geek
So... Help me with a shopping list. I have:

1x OrangeRX Open LRS 433MHz TX/RX (which I need to flash open LRS to and will in the next few days). I have the stock antenna for the receiver. What Antenna (RX) should I get for this airplane?

1x set of fatshark goggles with 5.8GHz receiver. Should I be looking at 1.3GHz. VTX/VRXs? if so which ones and which antennas?

4000mAh 4S packs a good fit for this plane? If so I'll order a couple Graphene packs from HobbyKing...

Thanks!
Apr 05, 2017, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbemerson
I've flown mine with a 7 amp li-ion pack from Titan Power (awesome li-ions for cheap!). The pack weighs 405 grams so the Goblin easily handles it. Though with all my gear and 7 amp li-ion, the best (lowest) amp draw I could get @45 mph was about 5 amps on a calm day. Veeery respectable. And I could probably still improve on that a bit. Maybe get it to 4 amps @ 45mph.
That weight is about on par with my 4S 4000 25-50C pack. I'll have to give it a shot.
Apr 05, 2017, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740

1x OrangeRX Open LRS 433MHz TX/RX (which I need to flash open LRS to and will in the next few days). I have the stock antenna for the receiver. What Antenna (RX) should I get for this airplane?

1x set of fatshark goggles with 5.8GHz receiver. Should I be looking at 1.3GHz. VTX/VRXs? if so which ones and which antennas?

4000mAh 4S packs a good fit for this plane? If so I'll order a couple Graphene packs from HobbyKing...

Thanks!
It will get away quick on 5.8 unless you like doing turns a lot. Most of us are running 1.3 or 2.4 video.

Start with a lighter battery in the 320-340g range. I like Zippy 3000 20C because they are light and only $16 with HK gold.
Quote:

I wouldn't trust this plane or any other to OpenLRS (I've personally witnessed too many failures).
As for 433Mhz Rx antenna. Basic dipole. I put the upper half inside a rigid tube fed it through the hole in the bottom of the fuse under
the vertical fine and jammed it as vertical as I could inside the tail, leaving the ground element hanging out the bottom. I straighten the
ground out before launch, and let it fold during landing. Been out 10 miles that way so far without issue but also with a better UHF system.

Quote:
At the speeds this plane flies you'll outfly 5.8Ghz very quickly. Basically would have to fly around in circles most of the time.

Quote:
4S 3000-3300mAh is ideal weight. "Graphene" packs are all very heavy and you don't need the high current
capacity they provide for this plane, which maxes out at about 30A in the air (less than 10C).
ZEmersonFPV on YT
Quote:

Thanks!

I'm not super familiar with Orange Rx so I can't make a recommendation here.

As for 1.2-3 vs 5.8,it depends on the kind of flying you want to do. Short to mid range, you're fine with 5.8. Anything longer than a couple miles and you'll want 1.2-3. Which VRx and antenna depends on if you want a ground station or not and how far you want to go. If you're planning on using goggles only, there are 1.3 VRx for fatsharks.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Graphenes, tho the 1300s I use in my quad work fine.
Apr 05, 2017, 10:08 PM
ZEmersonFPV on YT
Here's a quick screen grab of some rough numbers. This was mixed line of sight flying. These numbers can be significantly improved on with long straight flights and more consistent flying.

Quick Reply