Jun 04, 2017, 12:02 PM
Aka... Chris Graham
Servo and Rx Power comes from your esc or Bec... the eagle trees reg only poweres the video if you have it hooked up correctly
Latest blog entry: Build Pics
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2017, 12:31 PM
Wandering IT geek
Yep. That's what the bench test showed me.

Vector is now configured to allow Permit Low Altitude RTH and the Home RTH Altitude mode to Mountai (cause I fly in hilly areas). Hoping I won't have a repeat incident but perhaps this will keep the Goblin from going in to the desert if it happens again.
Last edited by ronin4740; Jun 04, 2017 at 01:32 PM.
Jun 04, 2017, 06:49 PM
Ya, that should get it done. The only quirky thing I saw in your vid was that the plane seemed
to pitch down and lose altitude fairly quickly when it hit failsafe but no indication that stick
input disabled RTH. At the speed it was going, no reason it should lose any altitude, even
coasting. Test it out same scenario (95mph w/ stab off, and turn Tx off) with some altitude and see what it does.
Jun 04, 2017, 10:20 PM
Wandering IT geek
I did that test with my mini talon last weekend with it nearby but I was really confident that the Taranis would re-link when I turned the radio back on.

With the EZUHF system I just dunno... maybe after a few more fights and my confidence in it comes back.

That said it was probably a little nose heavy. Am having trouble moving everything back far enough to balance on the dots. The coil loaded dipole I just ordered should help shift moor weight aft.
Jun 04, 2017, 10:57 PM
Mine doesn't have the dots. Exactly how far back are they on the wing in mm from the leading edge?
I don't have any issues balancing with 45C 3300mAh pack, and Runcam2 at the front of the canopy.
When I run my 4000mAh pack, I slide it back about 12mm until it's touching my Vector and it *just* balances.

[edit]Oh, I know why your plane pitched down.
You trimmed and Incorporated trims, but you never did in-air leveling.
That means throughout the vid when you're flying level the AHI was indicating a
nose up-stance. When center cross is on the AHI line, the plane is actually going down
rather quickly. You don't have "Disable Altitude hold when amps below X" enabled, but
but having "Allow RTH from low alt" disabled has exactly the same effect when RTH is triggered.
When RTH engaged, it knew it couldn't hold alt with the motor off, so it disabled altitude
hold and switched 2D. In 2D mode it levels the plane with the AHI so the plane pitched
down toward the ground.
Last edited by Daemon; Jun 04, 2017 at 11:04 PM.
Jun 04, 2017, 11:05 PM
Anyway... Rare windless evening.. 110+mph run across the flats.
Flat Out (1 min 56 sec)
Jun 05, 2017, 12:00 AM
-NEFPV-
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740

The air frame is a tough little bugger. I was certain as I was walking through the desert looking for it that I'd find parts everywhere... Was stunned to hear the ESC beeping as I walked from the last GPS location I could see on the DVR video (very thankful for that - without it I'd NEVER have foung the Goblin) in the direction it was travelling. On initial inspection the only issues with it seem to be some dents/wrinkles in the left wing leading edge. Otherwise it looks fine. Anything else that I own would have been destroyed in a crash of this magnitude. It'll likely fly again without any major repairs.

Anyway, still a fan. Just learned a lesson the hard way today I think.
Glad its ok. I'm betting the reinforcement you made to the wing tips helped keep them from getting messed up. Hope you get her back in the air soon. Hot air should take out the wrinkles.
Jun 05, 2017, 12:03 AM
Wandering IT geek
The center of the dots are 31mm from the leading edge. My vector in just barely visible (a sliver) if you look straight down into the inside of the fuselage. The 4200 mAh battery is pretty close to it but could move back a bit more.

Hmm.. thought I did level in air at some point in the flight but what you've said makes sense. Maybe I did and just got the in air level position wrong. I'll level it next time out.

Thanks for all the help btw. I am curious what you're using for video editing. I don't think Windows Movie Maker can blur out parts of a video and after watching yours I think blurring the gps location isn't a bad idea...
Last edited by ronin4740; Jun 05, 2017 at 10:02 AM.
Jun 05, 2017, 12:08 AM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
Ready Made R/C Strix Stratosurfer (3 min 39 sec)

This is from my new Strix Stratosurfer. Now to get my Goblin setup to just blast right through my buddy like a missile next time..... LOL!
Jun 05, 2017, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Thanks for all the help btw. I am curious what you're using for video editing. I don't think Windows Movie Maker can blur out parts of a video and after watching yours I think blurring the gps location isn't a bad idea...
I use Sony Vegas 10. It's not as advanced as something like Adobe Premiere but a lot more capable than Windows Movie Maker.
I haven't upgraded to newer version of Vegas because stabilization (used in my HD vids) has become less
flexible and works more poorly with high motion FPV vids.
Jun 05, 2017, 07:30 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Deamon, I usually don't care for FPV videos, but your last one was very good! High quality and fast, low flying.
Jun 05, 2017, 05:53 PM
Just wondering... Whats the 2 random pieces of black sandpaper in the packet for lol? Just noticed them in my Goblin box.
Jun 05, 2017, 06:00 PM
Wandering IT geek
Grip tape. Put them on each side of the Goblin where you'll hold it to throw it. Trust me - you'll want to do this!
Jun 07, 2017, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Grip tape. Put them on each side of the Goblin where you'll hold it to throw it. Trust me - you'll want to do this!
Ah cool, thanks for clarifying i had no idea what they were for lol.
Jun 07, 2017, 01:34 PM
Wandering IT geek
It looks like the crash broke the wing joiner - it has a crack on two sides running from the end to the center. I've used medium ca to repair it but don't really trust the repair.

Unless someone can state that this is an acceptable way to repair it I'm going to have to get a replacement..

Anyone know where I can get one? It looks like it's .8mm x 8mm od hollow carbon "tube" measuring 15.75" long...

Drat. Was going to fly it tomorrow...
Last edited by ronin4740; Jun 07, 2017 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply