This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 04, 2017, 09:57 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Cheapest Micrometer money can buy ?

Cheapest Micrometer Money can buy ? (0 min 42 sec)

Quite possibly the cheapest micrometer money can buy !
Metric – 0 to 25mm ( analog )

Operation is a little on the rough side ( not the smoothest in operation ) ..
I did some cleaning and oiling and the micrometer is a lot smoother now .
For the princely sum of $8.76 ( Ozzi bananas ) I just did not know what to expect .
Since I recently acquired a 25mm gauge ( 24.995mm ) , I did a quick check to see how bad the accuracy might be ..
I figure if its going to be out , it will most likely show at the end of the measuring spectrum .. ( The further from 0 the greater the error ? )

My Mitutoyo digital micrometer say’s 24.995 mm and the cheap as a McDona;ds take away order Micrometer say’s ….. 25.005mm ..
That is + 0.01mm @ 25mm against the Mitutoyo …
The Mitutoyo set me back a weeks wages several decades ago , and the Cheap as Maca’s Chinese Micrometer was $8.76 Ozzi … ( $6.62 USD )

The Cheap as chips micrometer was very repeatable ( got the same measurement time and time again )

The only problem is the lack of smoothness ..
The one thing a micrometer has to be besides accurate is smooth ( to get nice repeatable measurements ) ..
And that is where these fail some what ..
If you are an experienced hand at using Micrometers , then it may not be an issue for you ..
But if you are not really adept at picking up on problems with measuring , then this particular sample might be problematic ..

The 0.01mm variance against the Mitutoyo @ 25mm is neither here nor there .. It is an acceptable variance for the tools tolerance . If you need a certified Micrometer , you would not be buying the cheapest micrometer money can buy ? ( Would you ? ) But for the hobbyist , these are probably accurate enough .. ( Just depends on those nasty variables ) And if you have never owned a decent measuring tool , then these might be good to learn with ..
( Who can’t afford $6.62 USD )
I certainly did not buy these to replace my Mitutoyo , but I was very interested in seeing what you got for your maca’s money !

to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply