Explore new (old) forms of flight! :) - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Brainstorm, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 04, 2017, 10:21 AM
I just wanna fly, fly, fly
Discussion

Explore new (old) forms of flight! :)

Open your mind, and broaden your horizons! Explore new (old) forms of flight!

While I spend most of my time in the multi-rotor section of RCG, I enjoy exploring different facets of model aviation. Fixed wing is also where I started out, when I built a Graupner "RC UHU" sailplane as a teenager. Here are a few RCG sub-forums that I like to read, which have inspired me to try out new and old aspects of our hobby.

Free Flight -- Free flight (FF) is where model aviation started, long before any kind of remote control. Incredible craftsmanship makes FF models light as a feather. Whether you launch them by hand, catapult (like a slingshot), or harness the power of a rubber band to spin a prop, FF is mesmerizing and a ton of fun.

Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models -- Long before the current micro quad craze, intrepid modelers were building incredible micro RC planes from scratch and in all kinds of shapes. Fascinating and hugely inspiring!

Love the idea of converting a FF model to indoor RC, as user glider90 did with his Hyper-Lite Bipe below:

Micro Ready-to-Fly -- It doesn't get any easier than picking up a ready-to-fly (RTF) micro foam plane, even more so now that we have electronic stabilization. If you haven't tried fixed wing RC "out of the box," I highly recommend it!

Hand Launch Sailplanes -- Flying the winds without a motor is the closest we can get to soaring like the birds. Launching straight up from flat ground, i.e. without the help of a hill or cliff or winch, just seems special and surreal. While I only have a Whipit for now, Discus Launch Gliders (DLG) got me hooked and are just plain cool.

Electric Sailplanes -- Motorized gliders offer an easy entry into the world of gliders and sailplanes. Can't find a thermal to carry you aloft? Just crank up the throttle! And once you have enough altitude to feel comfortable, cut your engine and the prop will fold flat against the fuselage.

Model Aircraft & Drone Advocacy -- I think it's critical for all RC model fliers to keep abreast of regulatory developments, no matter what type of models we like to fly. Unfortunately, the MA&DA forum has become a viper pit of trolls and Debbie Downers. Makes things look unnecessarily bleak, when the future of RC model aviation remains quite bright.

There you have it! Endless ways of enjoying flight and finding new recreational and educational pursuits.
Last edited by Brainstorm; Apr 05, 2017 at 09:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2017, 08:54 PM
the people squad
Brainstorm, those links you posted are gold! There is so much to explore. Thank you.
It is such a great idea to "hot rod" some of these older concepts and make use of modern efficiency and miniaturisation.
I'm inspired to fit some basic light electonics to my old rubber powered model

My late father used to love the super slow indoor rubber powered planes where the prop turned so slowly you could see it
I wonder what he'd think of a tiny brushed motor buzzing away!

We all started somewhere, for me it was rubber powered Keil Kraft planes, like "Senator" and "Gypsy", built up on the workbench, covered with tissue paper strengthened with dope. We would use surgical rubber to power them, and wind them up with a drill. "Senator" flew astonishingly well, it was a great introduction into the hobby.

Senator:

Later I was to get involved in free flight sailplanes, then rc sailplanes. I used to salivate over the Graupner "Cumulus" sailplane. I ended up with a lovely "Ricochet" plane designed by a Melbourne man Ralph Learmont. From there I built up a Graupner "Ametuer" a 3 channel small powerplane, then other powerplanes from there. This was all in the 70s and 80s.
I have a yearning to return to the thermal soarers; it was such a graceful and relaxing way to fly. I recently bought myself a cheap dlg for the exercise...

I was very fortunate to have experienced the hobby back in the days where construction was such a big part of things, now we can retrofit some mods to reignite the passion
Last edited by schrodingers cat; Jun 28, 2017 at 06:31 AM.
Jul 21, 2017, 06:47 AM
the people squad
I've been on a bit of a journey looking through some of my builds from yesteryear, and I'm thinking I might rebuild another version of "senator" above and utilise a rudder control. here is a great video of a bloke with his rubber-powered plane, flying in close quarters to town, catching thermals, and yet being able to bring the bird back with just rudder control.

Flying Aces Sky Gull oldtime rubber RC - flying (4 min 40 sec)
Aug 13, 2017, 07:59 PM
I just wanna fly, fly, fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrodingers cat
There is so much to explore. Thank you.
It is such a great idea to "hot rod" some of these older concepts and make use of modern efficiency and miniaturisation.
I'm inspired to fit some basic light electonics to my old rubber powered model

My late father used to love the super slow indoor rubber powered planes where the prop turned so slowly you could see it
I wonder what he'd think of a tiny brushed motor buzzing away!
Apologies for not responding sooner, Schroedinger's Cat! While I've continued dreaming about many possibilities, I completely forgot about my blog post.

Building and flying rubber-powered FF models is becoming a lost art. You are lucky to have learned the ropes with your father! I only recently discovered FF, as there is a local group here, the DC Maxecuters, which has an annual indoor FF flying event and is working to preserve the art of FF for future generations. Unfortunately, I really haven't had much time for any flying hobbies recently.

From FF models, it's only a small step to micro RC. Control electronics and batteries have improved tremendously. Given proper attention to weight savings, most vintage FF planes can become suitable candidates for RC conversion. I am personally most fascinated by the featherweight "penny planes" and similarly filigrane and slow-flying models. The easiest first step will be to resuscitate an FPV Vapor I bought on closeout sale some years ago. Then I can worry about scratch-building something more sophisticated later.

In terms of sailplanes, I am fascinated by modern discus-launch gliders. Specifically, I've followed development of the GO Mini 1m DLG by ArmSoar with great interest. While I hope to get one eventually, it nonetheless poses the same challenge for me as larger quadcopters -- I have to drive a long way to find an appropriate open space to fly safely and legally.

Maybe I should just stick to making paper airplanes instead...
Aug 14, 2017, 04:33 AM
the people squad
Ha yes indeed

It's been great, I made a buddy on this thread, gossie is a really nice and helpful bloke, and has a Senator like mine

I have a dlg I'm yet to build and I also just recently bought one of those cheap kids balsa rubber powered planes. I was thinking I might try to power it with an electric motor and use some linear sliding micro servos..... Of course a Vapor would be much better

Funny, we think alike