Apr 03, 2017, 06:18 PM
Pro Semi Driver
Thread OP
Discussion

Johnny's Motley Crew rebuild

Hey guys, thought I'd start a build thread on this project. So, this boat right from the box with some small strut adjustments got me 31.9mph. That's just not gonna do it for me. 70+mph is where I want to be at, so here we go. Step #1: remove everything from the tub, then remove the tub.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2017, 06:24 PM
Pro Semi Driver
Thread OP
Step #2: Everyone seems to use the epoxy pour into the sponsons up front. I do it differently. Can't get a good pic of it, but I poured 67 grams of Alumilite 610, 6lb. density, 2 part foam from the sponson tips up about 2 1/2" into the deck. I used this stuff on another build and it made the nose of the boat hard as rock and added a little necessary weight. That's as far as I got. I have to do a final sanding of the remainder of the hull inside. I'm waiting on carbon fiber and resin now.
Apr 03, 2017, 06:57 PM
Steps? What steps?
These hulls are thin and brittle, and adding carbon only makes stress risers at the edge of the carbon. The hull will eventually break along these lines if crashed at 70 mph. If you can completely cover the inside with carbon and overlap the edges then you may have a more bullet-proof hull.

My major input on the design of this hull was the tunnel floor design. A flat surface from the opening to near the transom moves the center of lift rearwards, making the hull more stable at speed. It will still need an air dam at the front of the tunnel and the CG moved forward to balance the lift.

You can add more and more power and get to 70+ mph, but it will not be reliable at that speed. Still, it can be fun, especially if you don't mind retrieving a flipped boat.

Apr 03, 2017, 08:25 PM
big ignore list/drama is dumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
Hey guys, thought I'd start a build thread on this project. So, this boat right from the box with some small strut adjustments got me 31.9mph. That's just not gonna do it for me. 70+mph is where I want to be at, so here we go. Step #1: remove everything from the tub, then remove the tub.
Quote:
Step #2: Everyone seems to use the epoxy pour into the sponsons up front. I do it differently. Can't get a good pic of it, but I poured 67 grams of Alumilite 610, 6lb. density, 2 part foam from the sponson tips up about 2 1/2" into the deck. I used this stuff on another build and it made the nose of the boat hard as rock and added a little necessary weight. That's as far as I got. I have to do a final sanding of the remainder of the hull inside. I'm waiting on carbon fiber and resin now.
Sweet go get that 70!
we love these boats in NAMBA and I have seen a few done up with CF and they ROCK !
good luck with the build and keep us posted
Apr 03, 2017, 10:24 PM
https://youtu.be/gJ-3-https://youtu.be/gJ-3-F6BMNI
Apr 03, 2017, 11:49 PM
Master of some
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55
no worky
Apr 04, 2017, 03:39 AM
Pro Semi Driver
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zozer
These hulls are thin and brittle, and adding carbon only makes stress risers at the edge of the carbon. The hull will eventually break along these lines if crashed at 70 mph. If you can completely cover the inside with carbon and overlap the edges then you may have a more bullet-proof hull.

My major input on the design of this hull was the tunnel floor design. A flat surface from the opening to near the transom moves the center of lift rearwards, making the hull more stable at speed. It will still need an air dam at the front of the tunnel and the CG moved forward to balance the lift.

You can add more and more power and get to 70+ mph, but it will not be reliable at that speed. Still, it can be fun, especially if you don't mind retrieving a flipped boat.

That's the plan...360 degree carbon fiber. Between that and the foam up front, I feel pretty confident she'll live after flipping.
Apr 04, 2017, 03:41 AM
Pro Semi Driver
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55
Sweet go get that 70!
we love these boats in NAMBA and I have seen a few done up with CF and they ROCK !
good luck with the build and keep us posted
Thanks man! I'm gonna go for it and see. This hull will be a chance to really work on my cf skills. It will either work or fail. I'll be sure to have plenty of flotation in it lol.
Apr 04, 2017, 03:33 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fweasel
no worky
Try this link:
Aquacraft Motley Crew FAST 73.3 MPH (1 min 50 sec)

Regards, Jan.
Apr 04, 2017, 04:32 PM
Pro Semi Driver
Thread OP
Yeah that's the vid that got me going on this project!
Apr 04, 2017, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fweasel
no worky
sorry, I was trying to link it from my phone

Quote:
Thanks man! I'm gonna go for it and see. This hull will be a chance to really work on my cf skills. It will either work or fail. I'll be sure to have plenty of flotation in it lol.
will be following close

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled
Try this link:
https://youtu.be/gJ-3-F6BMNI

Regards, Jan.
thanks for fixing that!
Apr 23, 2017, 11:52 AM
Pro Semi Driver
Thread OP
Got the inlay done in the hull and hatch. Going against the grain and used Adtech 820 epoxy resin instead of West Systems. We'll see how much better it really is down the road.
Apr 23, 2017, 11:55 AM
Pro Semi Driver
Thread OP
If anyone is wondering, I only ran strips of the cf across the hull so I wouldn't have an issue with the stuffing tube being installed already. If anyone thinks this will cause an issue, please say so and I'll try to do one continuous piece from front to back over what's laid down.
Apr 23, 2017, 05:00 PM
Steps? What steps?
While one piece is preferred, but your method should be almost as well. I race this hull in NAMBA's P catamaran class with the AQ 1800 motor at 48 mph, runs great!

Apr 23, 2017, 05:48 PM
Pro Semi Driver
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zozer
While one piece is preferred, but your method should be almost as well. I race this hull in NAMBA's P catamaran class with the AQ 1800 motor at 48 mph, runs great!

I hope so! I'm banking on the performance of the epoxy. Wow, how did you get 48 with the stock motor? I couldn't get over 32.

Quick Reply