Apr 03, 2017, 01:38 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Thread OP
Help!

Setup needed for light 120cm flying wing

Hello everyone,
I am wise enough now to see when my knowledge is too limited to make a good decision, and so I am asking you guys to help me out here.
The situation: A few friends of me and I own EPP flying wings that we have tons of fun with when we go slope soaring a couple of times a year. We would like to be able to fly as well when there's no wind at the slope, or when there's no slope at all. So we figured that an EDF would be a good solution, as the spinning parts are covered and combat without damage would still be possible. We plan to leave the existiang planes as they are, and to build an assembly consisting of an EDF, the battery, and the ESC. This assembly can then be fixed on the wing and connected to the RX if the need arrives.
The performance does not need to be awesome concerning speed, but it would be nice if decent climbs would be possible. The whole thing should be lightand not have too much wind resistance in order to not degrade the overall flying characteristics too much. The EDF should run on 2s LiPo and not need more than 15A. All parts should be able to be shipped to Germany, so Hobbyking, Banggood, Ebay etc would be nice.
The flying wing has a wingspan of 120cm and a weight of 260g right now.
Plans:
http://www.extremflug.de/seite100.htm
A video from a guy who built one as well:
Mini Beach Sloping with Freebaze_NT (2 min 43 sec)

Here you can see how light and maeuverable it is, I would like to retain these characteristics.

I have had a brief look here at Hobbyking's selection:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hardware...m-to-69mm.html

What do you think of the EDF 40?
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/edf40-wi...assembled.html

Thanks in advance,

Julian
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2017, 04:54 PM
It will all come down to the weight of the battery, EDF and speed controller. You might find it hard to keep it below 60 g and still have a reasonable power endurance.
That 40 EDF will give you, at best, 120g thrust so the question is will that wing fly with a thrust at 1/3 of its all up weight.
Probably but the EDF will be at close to full power all the time and thus will have very little extra thrust available to climb.
EDFs are notoriously inefficient when compared to using the same power with a prop. You would have up to 4 times the thrust available (or use 1/4 the power) with a prop when flying at such slow speeds.
Apr 03, 2017, 09:23 PM
Difficult to get an EDF to give adequate 'combat' performances.. at all.
Stick a prop on it...
Normal... Wing Combat planes actually get less damage than one would think.
First of all one has to hit another combatant model.
Usually this happens from sheer accident rather than intent.
Besides, Wings are truly disposable items. Not being 'precious' is their forte.
Apr 04, 2017, 06:09 PM
I would think any of the cheap 50mm fans would be fine. You'll end up with a fast powered glider. If you want serious vertical performance go for a light weight 64mm set up.
Apr 15, 2017, 10:55 AM
Awesome plane. Are there plans?

You could also prop it and build a protective ring around the prop..
Apr 16, 2017, 09:34 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Thread OP
Yep, plan is mentioned in the first posting.
I once built a version with a Prop, it worked really well, but I also want to try an EDF for the coolness factor.

Quick Reply