Thread Tools
Apr 05, 2017, 04:58 PM
Registered User
Can't wait for a 32 bit 4 in 1.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2017, 05:02 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowtape
The closed source thing is unfortunate. Alas, finally the common family of ESCs goes 32bit. This 8bit stuff needs to die.
It is really sad, but since the processor is a 32 bit ST job and you have the processing overhead to program in C, it is now much easier for the community to develop open source code for these esc's! too bad about blheli_32 going the way of kiss.
Apr 05, 2017, 05:02 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianGoesPro
depends on what you "define" as the roots... at least here in Europe the big brands like Graupner, Futaba and Co which definitely are part of the RC roots (before 2.4ghz) here in Europe were and are far from open source... not sure about the rest of the world (and when they "started the hobby")
Haha true enough, but sad nonetheless.
Blheli has been the best available option for ESCs and that now goes closed source. With other things we still have a (mostly?) open source option i.e. OpenTX for transmitters, Betaflight and so on.
Apr 05, 2017, 05:11 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog
Can't wait for a 32 bit 4 in 1.
Me too. Or even something like the Airbot Asgard AIO FC with 32bit ESCs
Apr 05, 2017, 05:16 PM
Novice Flying Machine Mechanic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskaug
This time it will be closed source.
Can you say why it is closed source now?
No judgement on my part just curious.
Apr 05, 2017, 05:23 PM
Registered User
JulianGoesPro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337flite
Can you say why it is closed source now?
No judgement on my part just curious.
Money, and I am not blaming anyone... I am the last guy to ask for someone that is known for good work to not get paid for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarhopper
Haha true enough, but sad nonetheless.
Blheli has been the best available option for ESCs and that now goes closed source. With other things we still have a (mostly?) open source option i.e. OpenTX for transmitters, Betaflight and so on.
True! BLHeli made a big jump for us in quad performance I am so glad it exists

...but think about it... there is no one really gaining from it's openness... well... you could argue RS2K would have never implemented OneShot to it (and later MultiShot) which both again made big jumps for us quad guys... but knowing how seriouse the BLHeli guys are I am sure we will still see improvments coming like before so no downside from my point of view... just hopefully the devs can become "full time guys" and be even more "on the edge"
Apr 05, 2017, 05:23 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianGoesPro
depends on what you "define" as the roots... at least here in Europe the big brands like Graupner, Futaba and Co which definitely are part of the RC roots (before 2.4ghz) here in Europe were and are far from open source... not sure about the rest of the world (and when they "started the hobby")
Also big difference between a manufacturer having closed source software/firmware for their product (that is only to be expected), vs an open source project that supported multiple different boards/manufacturers going closed source. That is like saying Betaflight from 3.2 onward or the Linux kernel from 4.12 onward will now be closed source. Oh and yeah it is a complete rewrite.
Apr 05, 2017, 05:37 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianGoesPro
...but think about it... there is no one really gaining from it's openness... well... you could argue RS2K would have never implemented OneShot to it (and later MultiShot) which both again made big jumps for us quad guys... but knowing how seriouse the BLHeli guys are I am sure we will still see improvments coming like before so no downside from my point of view... just hopefully the devs can become "full time guys" and be even more "on the edge"
Diy hardware guys gain from it being open. I use blheli and blheli_s on my own escs.
I am developing esc's now based on the STM32F031C6 chips and it would probably work with blheli_32 with a little tweaking, but i'll never know.
The people who will profit the most are the esc manufacturers, they are probably in a contract now that will stop blheli_32 from ever going open source..
Apr 05, 2017, 05:49 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianGoesPro
Money, and I am not blaming anyone... I am the last guy to ask for someone that is known for good work to not get paid for it!



True! BLHeli made a big jump for us in quad performance I am so glad it exists

...but think about it... there is no one really gaining from it's openness... well... you could argue RS2K would have never implemented OneShot to it (and later MultiShot) which both again made big jumps for us quad guys... but knowing how seriouse the BLHeli guys are I am sure we will still see improvments coming like before so no downside from my point of view... just hopefully the devs can become "full time guys" and be even more "on the edge"
Open hardware and software promotes innovation, where as proprietary makes a buck for some vendors based on an innovation, at the cost of stifling overall progress..
The developer making money is a separate question, and I believe the two can coexist.
Apr 05, 2017, 05:55 PM
Registered User
Sad to see this going closed source, despite the features listed.
Apr 05, 2017, 06:00 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarhopper
Open hardware and software promotes innovation, where as proprietary makes a buck for some vendors based on an innovation, at the cost of stifling overall progress..
The developer making money is a separate question, and I believe the two can coexist.
Aye, I would donate to the blehli project if i could. He could have made money and supported innovation too.
Apr 05, 2017, 06:50 PM
Registered User
Fauropitotto's Avatar
With a built in current sensor and RGB LED, are there plans to work with Betaflight to get them to integrate with this?

It would be nice to see a next generation FC integrate with this. ESC telemetry on a next generation Betaflight board would be nice.
Apr 05, 2017, 10:15 PM
Registered User
Will Maytech ARM 32bit ESCs will be listed?
Apr 06, 2017, 12:43 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarhopper
This. This hobby has its roots in open source, and large names moving away from that is a sad sight.
How much people actually contributed to the firmware side of BLHeli? I've sure seen 8051 wizards scratch their head when looking at BLHeli source code, so it shows the lengths sskaug had to go to make things work. It even compromised DShot, going from CRC to XOR for the sake of CPU cycles.

I'm glad it's STM32 now. And a sane programming language, too, which sure helps avoiding weird bugs better.

I just hoped to have decent ESCs and an open source C base to start with for some experimentation.
Apr 06, 2017, 01:20 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337flite
Can you say why it is closed source now?
No judgement on my part just curious.
It's a good question .
From starting as a personal project to make my mCPX helicopter brushless, BLHeli as come a long way.
Some of the major milestones were when we decided to pursue the multirotor segment as well, still as a hobby project, where people flashed various (non BLHeli) ESCs with BLHeli FW. Still moderate activity and efforts. But then at some point, probably starting with the Littlebee, manufacturers started making dedicated ESCs for BLHeli FW. Which I think was a major step forward for the community, as now we have a plethora of very good ESCs for multicopters. Then there was a new milestone where we decided to pursue BLHeli_S, as smoothness of BLHeli was still inferior to other ESCs in the market. And by this time we had close to 20 manufacturers doing BLHeli_S! Supporting which is actually a significant workload. So then came the next milestone - what was next? ARM 32bit MCUs were a pretty obvious choice, as they are flooding the market from various manufacturers and are getting quite cheap. But at least for me, I was at a point where I did not want to undertake the workload I knew would come without some returns. So this is where we are now, closed source with a modest fee for some returns on the work we actually do. While still supporting many manufacturers and keeping the generally low cost profile of BLHeli.

Hopefully BLHeli_32 will also serve the community well, and bring ESC performance and the hobby as a whole even some more steps forward.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools