Jul 20, 2019, 09:00 PM
I have modified the landing gear for the Tarot IronMan650 and built a 6s3p Li-ion 18650 battery pack. The battery is 10,500mAh and rated 3C (30A). It weighs in at 585g and is 105x70x65mm. With this battery the AUW is 1465g. I made 2 flights this morning in a light 3Kt breeze. the first was 0.21hr and the second was 0.025hr for a total hover time of 0.236hr. The total restored charge was 2765mAh and the total logged mAh was3696. I have added the log files and photos to a Google Drive folder here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zf...qXeB8s27pJGhKk
I have also attached a zip of the shorter flight log and a screenshot of the BLHeli-32 setup to this post.

The CW motors were running hot, and had ~1740PWM, while the CCW motors were cool and running ~1480PWM
The motors are Turnigy MultiStar Elite 3508 268KV spinning 17" props.
At this point I am not too concerned with precise calibration of the current logging. I am satisfied that it is roughly 11A total which is about 1C for the battery. What bothers me is the odd difference in motor/prop performance and the 40 to 50A spikes in battery current in the logs. The props look like reasonable mirror images, and there is nothing obvious to cause the difference. I noticed a small divergence in the currents on earlier flights. The craft has crashed about 5 times, and I can't rule out toasted motors or ESC transistors. I am seeking opinions on the BLHeli-32 setup on the Bardwell 4in1 30A ESC. I have read the BLHeli manual, and I have searched for setup suggestions for a slow turning low KV motor. The parameters in the attached BLHeli screenshot are derived from some suggestion I found online, but I have no confidence in them, and I am at a loss to know what to adjust.

I am very pleased with the modified landing gear and will gladly share details in its construction.

Suggestions greatly appreciated,
Phil
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2019, 01:18 AM
Thread OP
Strange that there are such differences between the motors. Some comments to your BLHeli_32 settings:
- Low RPM Power Protect is off, which is correct for these low kv motors
- Demag Compensation can probably preferably be set to Low, but it may not make a difference
- Motor timing is most probably too high. For efficient running, Auto is probably the best
- You may experiment with PWM Frequency. These large motors may run better with lower frequency, but the optimum efficiency point is hard to predict
- Setting Sine Modulation Mode to On may give you a few percent better efficiency
Jul 21, 2019, 06:36 AM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by servantelectron
I have modified the landing gear for the Tarot IronMan650 and built a 6s3p Li-ion 18650 battery pack. The battery is 10,500mAh and rated 3C (30A). It weighs in at 585g and is 105x70x65mm. With this battery the AUW is 1465g. I made 2 flights this morning in a light 3Kt breeze. the first was 0.21hr and the second was 0.025hr for a total hover time of 0.236hr. The total restored charge was 2765mAh and the total logged mAh was3696. I have added the log files and photos to a Google Drive folder here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zf...qXeB8s27pJGhKk
I have also attached a zip of the shorter flight log and a screenshot of the BLHeli-32 setup to this post.

The CW motors were running hot, and had ~1740PWM, while the CCW motors were cool and running ~1480PWM
The motors are Turnigy MultiStar Elite 3508 268KV spinning 17" props.
At this point I am not too concerned with precise calibration of the current logging. I am satisfied that it is roughly 11A total which is about 1C for the battery. What bothers me is the odd difference in motor/prop performance and the 40 to 50A spikes in battery current in the logs. The props look like reasonable mirror images, and there is nothing obvious to cause the difference. I noticed a small divergence in the currents on earlier flights. The craft has crashed about 5 times, and I can't rule out toasted motors or ESC transistors. I am seeking opinions on the BLHeli-32 setup on the Bardwell 4in1 30A ESC. I have read the BLHeli manual, and I have searched for setup suggestions for a slow turning low KV motor. The parameters in the attached BLHeli screenshot are derived from some suggestion I found online, but I have no confidence in them, and I am at a loss to know what to adjust.

I am very pleased with the modified landing gear and will gladly share details in its construction.

Suggestions greatly appreciated,
Phil

There is a lot going on here that I don't understand, like in the 10-23-24 log your motors show up on RCOUT 9, 10, 11, and 12 instead of 1, 2, 3, and 4. The current plot looks terrible. I have never seen anything like it. Its looks like high frequency noise.

The MEAN Current is 14A and the Mean voltage is 22 V for a MEAN power of 322 Watts. Dividing the AUW of 1465g by 308W we get a g/W of 4.756 , which is total crap. For an aircraft this light I would expect a much higher g/W...

I ran an Auto Analysis and it shows no motor data at all.

Something is seriously wrong here, and I'm wondering if you have the motors connected to the wrong pins. If you can, post some pics that show us where you have the ESCs signal wires connected.
Jul 21, 2019, 08:24 PM
Thanks sskaug for the suggestions, I will play with the values.
oldgazer, the RCOUT must be redirected to 9,10,11&12 in order to do BLHeli pass through to work on the Pixhawk 2.1 Cube. I am as mystified by the graphs as you are. I have another unused set of identical motors. I may try swapping out motors next. The props on those flights were all new. I saw some divergence of the motor currents on earlier flights, but it has progressively gotten more extreme. I may try a short hover with auto motor timing. I still have not seen the ESC telemetry in the dataflash logs. I will try to get that working next, as the 4in1 ESC has a shunt for each motor. It is hard to find enough calm air here at the marina for flying an unstable craft, and my son's farm is a 2.5hr round trip. I have yet to get a successful autotune flight.

Thanks for your help
Phil
Jul 21, 2019, 09:14 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Phil,

No problem. I'm enjoying the challenge.

I'd start off by verifying that the motors are perpendicular to the frame. This will go a long way towards reducing the motor mismatch.

Second I'd look at the tune, particularly the Stabilize Roll and Stabilized Pitch D terms. Having the D terms too high will cause very rapid changes in motor PWM values which will manifest as an audible high frequency "buzz" and high motor temps.

Since AutoTune hasn't been working for you, take a look at InFlight Tuning.
Jul 21, 2019, 10:01 PM
Thanks. I am beginning to get the hang of flying. I got my private pilot license in 1967 and flew about 170 hours before family came first. I saw from the logs that I was over-controlling vertical. Another problem I have here is the limited flying space (a small parking lot bounded by water). I haven't gotten brave or stupid enough to aggressively fly this rather unstable craft, rather I expect to tame it by careful investigation if I can keep it in one piece.
Jul 24, 2019, 06:58 PM
Ham and RC Op
I just got my first BLHeli32 ESCs and cannot for the life of me get the BLHeliSuite32 to detect them through my Eagle Tree Vector flight controller. I get an error about only having v106 protocol support but require v107.

The ESCs I have are the Flycolor X-Cross 35A RGB. Any help would be appreciated.
Jul 25, 2019, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIGeek
I just got my first BLHeli32 ESCs and cannot for the life of me get the BLHeliSuite32 to detect them through my Eagle Tree Vector flight controller. I get an error about only having v106 protocol support but require v107.

The ESCs I have are the Flycolor X-Cross 35A RGB. Any help would be appreciated.
Eagletree did not implement support for BLHeli_32 yet, but there are other interface options, like a simple Arduino Nano flashed as 4way-Interface.
Aug 03, 2019, 05:23 AM
I realize this is the blheli32, not the blheli_s thread. But if you still have some blheli_s escs they just gained a new lease on life:
live rpm telemetry for the BetaFlight 4.0 rpm filter and the coming dynamic idle feature in BetaFlight 4.1.

All coded in 8051 assembler

There's a new thread here.

Short LOS flight demo here:

Betaflight 4.0, rpm filter, scooter 4", emax 1606, LOS (1 min 43 sec)
Aug 04, 2019, 06:44 PM
I crush you
Hey guys, I have a new set of the Spedix LS40 Slim ESC, but the latest stable BLHeli32 Suite won't recognize them. There is also no patch to flash them. Am I supposed to use a test code, or maybe a beta version of BLHeli32 to see these?
Aug 04, 2019, 07:14 PM
BLHeli32 suite should recognize them fine. You sure you have everything setup correctly?
Latest blog entry: My fixed wings
Aug 04, 2019, 07:32 PM
I crush you
Yeah, I mean, the motors spin up correctly, everything arms, disarms and does what it's supposed to do. But I can't get BLHeli32 Suite to recognize them so I can't change settings, timing, pwm timing, etc.
Aug 04, 2019, 07:33 PM
I crush you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmerly
BLHeli32 suite should recognize them fine. You sure you have everything setup correctly?
My only suspicion is I'm using cleanflight BLHeli passthrough for FlightOne. That's what I use for any BLHeli32 ESC, so it should work here... but for some reason, it doesn't.
Aug 04, 2019, 07:53 PM
I crush you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmerly
To rule out the Cleanflight suspicion, I flash the board with Betalfight and then connected to BLHeli32 Suite. Same problem. The ESCs connect to it, but won't read or be recognized. Bummer.
Aug 05, 2019, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchTune
To rule out the Cleanflight suspicion, I flash the board with Betalfight and then connected to BLHeli32 Suite. Same problem. The ESCs connect to it, but won't read or be recognized. Bummer.
Please be sure to use the latest BLHeliSuite32 (32.6.1.6) and also you need Betaflight with at least version 4.0.
If this doesn't help, please activate the log function (Options... Enable Log) and post the exported log.tlg (Log... save to file) here as zip.
Last edited by 4712; Aug 05, 2019 at 02:46 AM.

Quick Reply