Apr 03, 2017, 11:17 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

BLHeli_32 - Power to perform

BLHeli_32 is the third generation BLHeli code, following base BLHeli and BLHeli_S.

BLHeli_32 runs on an ARM 32bit MCU, initially it will be on a Cortex-M0 running at 48MHz, but there are MCUs out there that can run a lot faster.

So what can the increased MCU speed do?
First of all, it can run input signals with lower latency at faster rates.
Dshot up to at least Dshot1200, and at rates up to at least 32kHz is now supported.

Secondly it allows packing of more functionality.
- Like programmable pwm frequency, up to 48kHz, that can run motors even smoother, and also allows for moving of small but potentially disturbing humps in the throttle response. All ESCs have these bumps, with BLHeli_32 they can now be moved in the rpm range, to a place where the system has low sensitivity to them.

- Like auto timing. Which is not the option to choose if you’re after max power. But if you want the most efficient running with very good robustness against desync, it is the perfect choice.

- Like voltage and current limiting. Which is implemented in the code, and will be supported on some ESCs. Voltage limiting is desirable for fixed wing crafts. And current limiting adds protection against ESC failure.

- Like programmable brake on stop force. Which allows control of the braking of fixed wing props.

- Like improved direction change in bidirectional mode.

- Like more to come in the future. Such as setup from the FC by using Dshot commands. Such as telemetry functionality. There is room to grow performance and functionality.

There will be a range of BLHeli_32 ESCs coming out soon, from a number of manufacturers.
First out is Airbot, with their Wraith32 Plus:
Name: Wraith32_Plus_1.jpg
Views: 952
Size: 289.7 KB
Description: Name: Wraith32_Plus_2.jpg
Views: 928
Size: 286.8 KB
Description:
A 6S powerhouse that supports voltage limiting and current limiting as well as a bright RGB LED.

And the Wraith32:
Name: Wraith32-1.jpg
Views: 941
Size: 249.3 KB
Description: Name: Wraith32-2.jpg
Views: 863
Size: 231.1 KB
Description:
A smaller 6S version that also supports voltage limiting and current limiting as well as a bright RGB LED.

Airbot will also release a smaller Wraith32 Mini without current limiting and LED.

These ESCs will be available soon, as well as more to come from several other manufacturers in not too long .
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2017, 11:20 AM
Apr 03, 2017, 01:00 PM
Any plans to release the code?
Apr 03, 2017, 01:06 PM
Team AlienWarpSquad
Link to this thread added to ßF wiki's Dshot page.
Apr 03, 2017, 01:17 PM
looks great. keep up the hard work.

ESC ARE NOW SHIPPING IN THE USA

http://www.readytoflyquads.com/35a-w...bit-blheli-esc

http://www.readytoflyquads.com/50a-w...bit-blheli-esc
Last edited by witespy; May 14, 2017 at 11:21 AM.
Apr 03, 2017, 01:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehertz
Any plans to release the code?
This time it will be closed source.
Apr 03, 2017, 01:37 PM
Thread OP
And this is a snapshot of what BLHeliSuite currently looks like:
Name: BLHeli_32 Suite.jpg
Views: 4636
Size: 162.6 KB
Description:
Apr 03, 2017, 08:14 PM
What is landing :O
Aw man so looking forward to this !
Thanks for your continued hard work for the community !
Glad to see you (may ?) make some money out of it
P.S. do the airbot wraiths mentioned above support telemetry ? I can see a tiny pad next to pwm and ground
Apr 03, 2017, 10:04 PM
WOW!!! Was on the ropes about getting new esc. Was hoping the 32 bit esc will start coming out. Great job keep it up. Really looking forward to telemetry on esc.
Apr 03, 2017, 11:14 PM
Congrats on another milestone with your BLHeli series software, Steffen.

Any chance average end-user can get affordable license to run the software on existing 32bit ARM cortex ESCs? I'm running these ESCs on some builds and am finding them less likely to encounter mid-throttle twitch than BLHeli_S ESCs for whatever reason. I'm sure I'll get some BLHeli_32 ESCs in the end but will be interested to compare same hardware different software.
Apr 03, 2017, 11:47 PM
z33
z33
wow! good job
Apr 04, 2017, 01:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro123
Aw man so looking forward to this !
Thanks for your continued hard work for the community !
Glad to see you (may ?) make some money out of it
P.S. do the airbot wraiths mentioned above support telemetry ? I can see a tiny pad next to pwm and ground
Telemetry is not yet supported by the FW. But is surely on the list of future functionality.
Apr 04, 2017, 01:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Miata
Congrats on another milestone with your BLHeli series software, Steffen.

Any chance average end-user can get affordable license to run the software on existing 32bit ARM cortex ESCs? I'm running these ESCs on some builds and am finding them less likely to encounter mid-throttle twitch than BLHeli_S ESCs for whatever reason. I'm sure I'll get some BLHeli_32 ESCs in the end but will be interested to compare same hardware different software.
BLHeli_32 will not be available on other hardware than BLHeli_32 dedicatad ESCs. Maybe, Chris, higher pwm frequency may help mid throttle twitches? Or reduced max acceleration - BLheli is generally very snappy. From what I have read, twitches are happening on KISS 24 too. Anyway, I'll be happy to work with you to dig into what may be causes for such twitches.
Apr 04, 2017, 02:14 AM
Too bad can't run BLHeli_32 on existing 32-bit ESCs but I'm sure I'll get my hands on BLHeli_32 ESCs some day. This mid-throttle twitch I'm talking about is on BLHeli_S ESCs not BLHeli. I don't want to dwell into off-topic stuff too much so I'll probably continue on the BLHeli_S thread.
Apr 04, 2017, 07:40 AM
What about other OS'es than Windows? Will BLHeliSuite finally support macOS and Linux for BLHeli_32?

Quick Reply