Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Charsoon 100W 10A Magical Core MINI LCD Battery Charger Review

We take a look at the Charsoon Magical Core Charger System with its unique modular design that can charge nearly any battery.

Splash

What's in the Box

The Charsoon Magical Core Charger system is the most unique charger I've ever seen. The main box, called the Magical Core is the brains of the unit. It's a tiny box that has the touch screen LCD unit on the top and a micro USB and main power port on backside. The left and right sides have slots that you use to install optional Cubes that allow you to charge batteries. Banggood sent me One Magical Core, two A Cubes and one C Cube along with a 12V 10A Power Supply.

The A Cubes are for normal lithium batteries with 2-6 cells. These can be Lipo, LiFe and LiHV packs. The cube only has a balance port so you won't be connecting the main power leads to the charger, just the balance lead. The B Cube is for charging smart batteries such as ones that come with DJI and other drone companies products. The C Cube is a 4 port USB unit that can charge 5V 2A devices and the D Cube is used for charging common 1S lipo batteries.

Specifications

• Input Voltage: 11-18V
  • Charge Power: 50W x 2
  • Max Charge Current: 5A x 2
  • Balancing Current: 800mAH
  • Battery Type Supported: Lipo, LiFe, LiHV
  • Battery Cell Count: 2-6S
  • Discharge Power: .5W-Cube A / .3W-Cube B
  • Size: Magical Core - 95x67x35mm / Cubes - 60x67x35mm

Pricing

• Magical Core Charger: $29.99
  • Magical Cube A: $12.99
  • Magical Cube B: $13.99
  • Magical Cube C: $9.99
  • Magical Cube D: $12.49
  • Power Supply: $12.49
  • Total price of combined items used in review: $78.45

Links

Setting Up and Using the Charsoon Magical Core Mini Charger

When you first get the charger, you'll be surprised at how small the main unit and the little cubes are. They are small, but it starts adding up to a very long train once you add more than a few cubes to it. It will actually handle up to 16 cubes! Here's the caveat though, it can only charge two batteries at a time along with a USB device if there is enough juice left. The main Core supplies 50W of power to two Cubes at the same time at up to 5A for each. You can have more cubes attached and batteries connected, but they will not charge until one of the initial two cubes have finished charging, then the core will switch power to a new cube and start charging.

Before you can use it, you want to get familiar with the menu screens and bind and label the cubes you have purchased. When you first power up the Core, the screen has a lot of info on it, but it's pretty simple once you go through it. The top bar shows the input voltage, which menu screen or Cube the readout is for and either CHG for charge or STO for storage. Below that you will see the Voltage, Amperage, mAh put in, charge time, and battery type. Below that is the individual cell voltages. On the left is a settings icon you can touch to get into the settings menu.

Click the settings icon and you'll be at a screen that you can set the battery capacity and charge rate as well as set a time limit for the charge and adjust the screen brightness. At the top left is a page icon you can use to get to the next menu screen. On the next page you can set the battery type to Lipo, LiFe and LiHV depending on the battery you want to charge. You can also set it to charge by an amp rating you set or by the C rate, as in 1C, 2C, 3C charge rate. Also on this page is the button to change it from a charge mode, to a storage mode.

Click the page icon again and you'll be at the binding screen. You only want one Cube connected at a time when binding. You can assign that cube a number and the light on the cube will turn from white to a green/yellow color when bound. They provide number decals to place on each cube with the number you assigned it. Once you have your cubes bound, you can swap them on and off the main charging core and place them in any order or side you want. They are hot swappable. Charging begins soon after you connect a battery with the light on the cube changing to red during the charging process. You can monitor the status on the screen and you can swipe the screen left or right to view the status of the the second battery if you are charging more than 1 at a time. When the charge ends, the light on the cube turns blue and it says "Finish" on the right side of the main core screen. If you have other batteries charging, the screen will automatically move to showing the status of the 2nd battery.

Final Thoughts

The Charsoon Magical Core charging system is a neat little charger that can grow to be more functional with optional cubes as you need them. It's somewhat limited since it only has 50W of power for each of the two channels, but that should accommodate most batteries until you start getting into high cell count and high capacity packs. If your batteries have a different balance connector like Thunder Power uses, then you'll need to buy or make an adaptor for those batteries to connect. The touch screen display looks nice and has a nice readout to it and touching the buttons works well. What didn't work that well for me was scrolling back and forth between screens to view the charge status of the batteries. It worked, but it was finicky and slightly frustrating after being used to how smooth and accurately smart phones scroll through screens.

The charger seems affordable at $29.99, but you have to add a power supply and at least one Cube to be able to charge anything, so at a minimum you'll be spending $55.47 to be able to charge one lipo at a time. If you start building a long train of cubes, the price goes up and this long train of a charger will start being cumbersome on your workbench as the length increases. Overall the charger does what it is designed to do and I like innovative design. I would prefer physical buttons instead of the touchscreen, but for what it is and does, I'd say this is a good value and worth looking at if it suites your needs.

Apr 03, 2017, 05:13 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Modular diy-esque charger.

I like!
Apr 03, 2017, 07:49 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Well it's something different, that's​ for sure.

When dealing with lipos, though, I'd much rather have them Charlater, or better yet, Charnever.
Apr 06, 2017, 01:26 PM
100% electric since 1990
I'd like to see 200 watts per side. That would be awesome.

Does this unit come with an adapter with alligator clips? For use with a direct 12v battery?
Last edited by twest; Apr 06, 2017 at 01:33 PM.
Apr 06, 2017, 02:30 PM
RCG Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by twest
I'd like to see 200 watts per side. That would be awesome.

Does this unit come with an adapter with alligator clips? For use with a direct 12v battery?
Yeah that would be more like it! No other connectors included for power, but it wouldn't be hard to find/make a set for it.
Apr 10, 2017, 11:19 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
Interesting system. Looks like something from Star Trek by its design be interesting to see what other additional moduals may be made for it
Apr 11, 2017, 10:29 AM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
I wouldn't buy anything from Bang good
Apr 11, 2017, 12:00 PM
I've placed 109 orders from Banggood over the past 3 years and they've been nothing short of fantastic. Apparently others have very similar experience as mine given their outstanding 9.1 out of 10 rating on resellerratings.com.
Apr 11, 2017, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
I've placed 109 orders from Banggood over the past 3 years and they've been nothing short of fantastic. Apparently others have very similar experience as mine given their outstanding 9.1 out of 10 rating on resellerratings.com.
ditto oops
Apr 11, 2017, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
Fair enough, I wouldn't use a charger that is that unusual and unknown to the RCG community here without very close supervision.
I read so many reports here of malfunctioning chargers damaging batteries etc
Apr 11, 2017, 01:56 PM
FPV = out of body experience
Seems kind of klunky for the amount of functionality. I really don't see the point.
Apr 11, 2017, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroma
Seems kind of klunky for the amount of functionality. I really don't see the point.
+1 agree w/ Kroma

Go up to reply #3, funny name for a company that makes chargers.
Apr 11, 2017, 08:13 PM
RCG Staff
Status update: Been charging a few packs on this thing daily and it seems to do a great job so far. No overcharging and balancing the packs well. The only thing I've had an issue with is the 50w max limit. I had a 3S 5000 I wanted to charge at a little over 1C and the charger only went up to 4A when I had it set for 7A. Then I remembered it's only 50w so it couldn't put out any more than that on a 3S. I like the screen display, I like just plugging in the balance lead, but it's really only good for smaller capacity packs unless you like slow charging. Overall, still pretty happy with it.
Apr 15, 2017, 05:00 PM
It reminds me of a space ship design from some 1970's or 1980's movie and I can't think of what is. It's not Silent Running, 2001 or 2010, The Black Hole...definitely not anything Star Trek.
Apr 15, 2017, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey
It reminds me of a space ship design from some 1970's or 1980's movie and I can't think of what is. It's not Silent Running, 2001 or 2010, The Black Hole...definitely not anything Star Trek.
When I see white plastic with black trim (or white Kia Souls) , I think of Imperial Storm Trooper armor

There was some sort of linked together spaceships in one of the Alien movies, was that it?
Last edited by Zerts; Apr 28, 2017 at 09:32 AM.