Apr 02, 2017, 05:08 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

New guy here got some questions for you all - Thanks

I have always loved offroading in trucks and suv's, but it can be expensive. So I bought my kids some rc cars and I just fixed one of them today, basically swapped out the esc from the working car with broken strut mount, to the truck with a bad esc. They are super simple but the open wheel design and the speed of these rc's is not a good mix, things break.

It got me thinking about how building my own or buying a scale model 4x4 rc rig.

Is it better to build a slow and steady rock crawler with good 4x4 system, or go into speed jumping. At first, I dont want realism in terms of looks, or having true'ism such as a functional transfer case and axles.

But I want something bullet proof that will not break.
Im kinda digging this
Making Wheel Wells - The Cheap & Easy Way! Only PENNiES to Construct.. | RC ADVENTURES (17 min 57 sec)

RC ADVENTURES - Beast 4x4 with a Cormier Boat Trailer - Traxxas Spartan Speed Boat in Tow! (6 min 26 sec)

RC ADVENTURES - CHEAP! Gorilla Tape Wheel Wells! ALTERED BEAST 4X4 - Rebuild BV8 - (9 min 7 sec)

as I like older stuff, Jeep Cherokee's, 4 door army jeep JK, older trucks, rock crawlers.
I guess what I am saying is I need something practicle, that can do jumps and rock crawl, go in the mud and water.
That is what I am looking for.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2017, 02:48 PM
Not sure there is something that looks scale and still can do high speed and jumps. I bet someone else will jump in. I might be forgetting something!
Latest blog entry: Life Updates :)
Apr 04, 2017, 10:20 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
If you want something that has scale looks, and is capable of a little bit of speed and jumping I would look into a rock racer. Something like the Vaterra Twin Hammers, or Axial Yeti. You can modify those to your hearts content, and use a large variety of optional bodies for a more realistic appearance, but they are also made to go faster than a typical crawler.

If those are more than you are wanting to spend, there are a few more budget friendly options. The WLtoys 10428, the 10428 A, and the 10428 B are both clones of the Vaterra Twin Hammers and both can be fitted with parts, and hop ups from that rig but cost much less initially. Any of the WLtoys rigs can also be fitted with your choice of optional bodies. Modding, modeling, and upgrading can be just as fun as driving. Welcome to the wonderful world of RC!

Quick Reply