RISE Vusion House Racer 125 RTF - RCGroups Review

RISE recently joined the indoor FPV game with the Vusion House Racer 125. In ready to fly form, one box includes everything you need to "turn your house upside down! Follow along as I take a closer look at the HouseRacer

Splash

Introduction

Size :120mm
Weight:2.4 oz
Transmitter:RISE J2000 2.4GHz 6 channel
Battery:1s 650mah
Motors:Brushed
Monitor/VRX:Tactic FPV-RM2 40 channel with DVR
Typical Flight Duration:6-8 minutes
Available From:Tower Hobbies and fine hobby shops everywhere
Price:$179.90

RISE has been really active in the multirotor world lately, with the introduction of several exciting quads aimed at racers and bashers alike. The Vusion House Racer 125 RTF is no exception. A complete package with everything included, it is well packed in a box that doubles as a carrying case and contains everything you need to get started with indoor fun. The all-in-one flight controller/ESC/RX combo is already installed and requires nothing other than calibration before it is flight ready. The included brushed motors are perfect for an indoor quad and have plenty of punch to put a smile on your face! The monitor features a built-in VRX, as well as a DVR and fits nicely in the included goggle housing, and the included transmitter also has an attachment point for the monitor, if you prefer to fly that way.

Kit Contents

• Vusion House Racer
  • 25mw Raceband vtx/camera combo (built in)
  • Tactic FPV-RM2 monitor VRX combo with DVR
  • Tactic FPV-G1 Goggle housing
  • RISE J2000 6 channel 2.4 GHz transmitter with monitor holder and auto flip button
  • One (1) 1s 650mah flight battery
  • USB charger for flight battery
  • 4 "AA" batteries for the radio
  • Extra props
  • Wall guards
  • Screwdriver
  • Manuals

Assembly

There isn't a lot to say here, the quad comes ready to fly. The only thing you might want to add are the additional wall guards that help to keep you from getting tangled up in indoor obstacles. You may also choose to mount the monitor/VRX in the goggle housing, but that is a simple affair. Alternatively, you can use the monitor holder mounted to the radio if you want to be able to keep an eye on your surroundings.

FPV

Included in the RTF set is the really neat Tactic FPV-RM2 monitor/DVR/VRX display. This is a 40 channel monitor with built in DVR. It uses micro SD cards (not included) and comes with a 3dbi whip antenna. The connectors ar RP-SMA, so you can easily change out the whip for an antenna of your choice. The resolution is 480x272, and when used with the included FPV-G1 goggle housing, provided a good image from the quad. The monitor also has a built-in 1400mah battery, which charges through a usb micro port. It is PAL and NTSC capable, so when you aren't flying, you can keep an eye on what you friends are doing.

I did find the headset was a little tight on my big ol' noggin, but but not to the point of being uncomfortable. The housing also has an adjustable focus lens, to aid in clarity for those of us with bad eyes.

The quad features a 25mw, 40 channel VTX unit, with a 600TVL camera. The combination works well, though I did find that the camera prefers to have a decent amount of light to deliver a good image. That was simple enough to deal with, though, I just turned on the lights in the rooms I was flying in, and had no problems. The video link was pretty solid for me. I did have a little static in a couple of places, but my house is full of equipment operating on both 2.4 and 5.8, so that is to be expected. This unit performs as well as any other similar gear I have used here at home.

Flying

RCG Reviews the Vusion HouseRacer (2 min 27 sec)

One thing I noticed is that the House Racer has to be bound before every flight. It's a fast process, however, and didn't cause me any problems. You just have to turn on the radio, and within 5 seconds, power up the quad. A flashing "Link" indicator on the radio will go solid, and the quad will beep when you are ready to go.

The first thing you want to do is calibrate the gyros and accelerometers. You do this by placing the quad on a level surface, and putting both sticks in the bottom right corner. When the LED on the quad starts to flash, release the sticks. When the LED stops flashing, you are ready to fly! The calibration process is pretty fast, and I would recommend doing it before each flight.

There are 3 flight modes to choose from:

• Stability 1(Roll and pitch limiteds to 30 degrees, self leveling)
  • Stability 2 (Roll and pitch limited to 45 degrees, self leveling)
  • Rate (no roll or pitch limits, no self leveling)

After you select a flight mode (via thew switch on the upper left of the radio) you arm the quad in a manner that will be familiar to anyone who has flown multirotors in the past: Throttle down, and rudder right. The motors go to a flight idle, and you are ready to fly. Just be aware that the quad will auto disarm if you don't move the sticks for 3 seconds. To disarm manually, you simply throttle down and rudder left.

Flying the HouseRacer is a joy. I found it to be a very responsive, fun aircraft. It's pretty durable too, which is a good thing, since I bounced it off a lot of things in my small house. Its pretty fast, especially for an indoor machine, and the control response is solid. On high rates it flew much like a 250 sized quad, and I didn't really want much more of anything. The yaw response was quick, and pitch and roll felt good also. Flight times are right on par with what is advertised, 6 to 8 minutes depending on how hard you push it. That alone is a huge plus in my book, since it gives you more "smiles per charge" than some other platforms intended for indoor use.

The radio is comfortable, though I would have preferred to have adjustable length sticks. If you are a thumb flyer, however, you won't have any issues. I did feel like the gimbals were a little close together, but after a few minutes, it didn't bother me at all. With the monitor in place, the radio is a little top heavy, but I don't think it made a difference in how everything felt. The adjustable bracket made it easy to strike a balance between weight distribution and viewing angle, and the included sunshade helped to eliminate any glare from the room lights

Conclusion

The House Racer 125 RTF is a great value, especially for those just getting started in FPV. Having the option to use goggles or a monitor is handy, and having a built in DVR let's you re-live all of your flights. Flight performance is great, and battery life is impressive. It might be a little big if you live in a smaller house or apartment, however, but the solid design will allow the quad to take a beating and come back for more. The entire package stores easily in it's box, and makes for a quick "grab and go" kit to take to show off to friends. I really fell like this would make a great "spec" class racer for clubs who have access to an indoor flying facility, or a group of guys who have access to a large basement or conference room. I do have one warning, though: Get more batteries! You are going to want them!

Pluses and Minuses

Pluses

• Complete package in one box
  • Responsive flight envelope
  • Long flight times
  • Takes a beating!

Minuses

• Might be a little big for smaller homes
  • Transmitter lacks adjustable sticks
  • Only comes with one flight pack

I would like to thank Hobbico for supplying the House Racer, Matt Gunn for his editorial assistance, and my wife for letting me terrorize the house, and not getting mad when I hit everything in sight!

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Apr 13, 2017 at 07:40 AM..
Apr 12, 2017, 10:02 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Clever looking package. DVR, Screen that can be used as goggles too. The lack of adjusting options, like the radio, and FC settings, might be a deal breaker when you are used to tinkering with firmware and rates, PID settings, etc. But on the positive side, a combo like this makes it easy to try out FPV without having to study for hours.
Apr 12, 2017, 11:32 AM
MN WATTS Master
Faster Tim Faster! Looks like something my boys would love to terrorizes our house with! Hehe
Apr 15, 2017, 07:09 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Recorded video quality seems to be very good.
Apr 15, 2017, 04:52 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
I have been very happy with the recorded video. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it does quite well!
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
Apr 15, 2017, 05:43 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Very nice , from what I can see from the video its actually better than most of the DVr's I've seen which is quite impressive, I can't see much if any pixeling and the colours were quite nice, I would like to see some outdoor/indoor light/dark just to see the recorded VI's and how the processor handles the transition , but, just going by that video I think its pretty good.
If I could throw a bone out to Tactic ? I would suggest a screen with an 800x400/480 screen resolution and a HDMI port for linking to a PC and drone racing league.

I would give that an 8 out 10 and my own equipment 7 and I love mine lol
Apr 19, 2017, 09:36 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
I was in the market for a new DVR, or monitor with DVR. After checking out this review I went ahead and ordered the FPV-G1 and RM2 combo. Can't hardly beat it for $84 shipped.
Latest blog entry: Hobbymate X130 Build & Review
Apr 30, 2017, 09:42 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Clever looking package. DVR, Screen that can be used as goggles too. The lack of adjusting options, like the radio, and FC settings, might be a deal breaker when you are used to tinkering with firmware and rates, PID settings, etc. But on the positive side, a combo like this makes it easy to try out FPV without having to study for hours.
Another positive side YOU ARE NOT FORCED TO USE CLEANFLIGHT/BETAFLIGHT TO FLY THIS MODEL . And that is why I own and enjoy this one. Like you said, "without having to study for hours."
May 01, 2017, 06:47 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
I gotta say, it's a great little package. As far as ease of use goes, this thing is awesome.
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!