Thread Tools
Mar 31, 2017, 08:27 AM
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
Tarpon Shawn's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

Karate/Kung Fu Movie Flying YES or NO?


This is a hot topic so sorry if this already a thread.

Do we like the stylized flying around we see in Karate/Kung Fu movies? I really want to hate it, but I can't.



8 Movies off the beaten path:
http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/8-...y-havent-seen/
Mar 31, 2017, 08:33 AM
Official Old Git!
It's silly, but hey, it's fun!
Mar 31, 2017, 08:40 AM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Sun Wukong says yes.

Mar 31, 2017, 08:50 AM
Registered User
Those types of movies lost me a long time ago when they started defying the laws of physics. I mean, jumping 20 feet in the air and landing on the other side of your opponent? Seriously?

I imagine if I were to see them now flying, it would cause me to burst out laughing, followed by quick dash to the TV to spin the channel changing knob.
Mar 31, 2017, 09:00 AM
DS JUNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee
Those types of movies lost me a long time ago when they started defying the laws of physics. I mean, jumping 20 feet in the air and landing on the other side of your opponent? Seriously?

I imagine if I were to see them now flying, it would cause me to burst out laughing, followed by quick dash to the TV to spin the channel changing knob.
You just have to appreciate the time and effort that goes info all that wire work. It's not easy to do.
Mar 31, 2017, 09:08 AM
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
Tarpon Shawn's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee
Those types of movies lost me a long time ago when they started defying the laws of physics. I mean, jumping 20 feet in the air and landing on the other side of your opponent? Seriously?

I imagine if I were to see them now flying, it would cause me to burst out laughing, followed by quick dash to the TV to spin the channel changing knob.
I don't mean Superman type flying. They'll jump 20-30 feet from bamboo stalk to bamboo stalk.

Still, when done right it's pretty entertaining.
Mar 31, 2017, 09:10 AM
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
Tarpon Shawn's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
Sun Wukong says yes.

I saw this movie, but I thought the monkey stuff was a bit strange.

I know it's a legend, but I prefer my flying Kung Fu masters with less fur.
Mar 31, 2017, 09:16 AM
You know nothing....
Stuart A's Avatar
So it's ok for Hollywood to use cgi leaps and bounds in sci fi.but not for those fiendish orientals?
Mar 31, 2017, 09:25 AM
In a widow with Grumpy cat.
RCWorks's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpon Shawn
This is a hot topic so sorry if this already a thread.

Do we like the stylized flying around we see in Karate/Kung Fu movies? I really want to hate it, but I can't.



8 Movies off the beaten path:
http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/8-...y-havent-seen/
Only as long as the lips don't match the audio and there is the obligatory "My kung-fu is better than your kung-fu." and "I will kick your ."

3 flips and a short flight and you get from downtown to the mountains! and
Latest blog entry: Later peeps
Mar 31, 2017, 09:29 AM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpon Shawn
I saw this movie, but I thought the monkey stuff was a bit strange.

I know it's a legend, but I prefer my flying Kung Fu masters with less fur.
The sequel is on Netflix. It's part of a classic legend.
Mar 31, 2017, 09:42 AM
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
Tarpon Shawn's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart A
So it's ok for Hollywood to use cgi leaps and bounds in sci fi.but not for those fiendish orientals?
We're not allowed to use the term Orientals when referring to people. If you're talking about carpets? That's real. No CGI required.

Old photo:
Mar 31, 2017, 10:11 AM
No more nicotine for me!
micro_builder's Avatar
I thought it was done pretty well and fit the movie in Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon, but beyond that it usually doesnt do much for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee
Those types of movies lost me a long time ago when they started defying the laws of physics. I mean, jumping 20 feet in the air and landing on the other side of your opponent? Seriously?

I imagine if I were to see them now flying, it would cause me to burst out laughing, followed by quick dash to the TV to spin the channel changing knob.
How old is your TV??
Mar 31, 2017, 10:44 AM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
radix2's Avatar
David Carradine's Kung Fu is the only version I like.
Mar 31, 2017, 03:09 PM
In a widow with Grumpy cat.
RCWorks's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix2
David Carradine's Kung Fu is the only version I like.
Good thing he was a man of peace other wise he would have been kicking a lot more in that series.
Latest blog entry: Later peeps
Mar 31, 2017, 03:34 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Depronicus's Avatar
No.

I will never watch "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" because of it.

The concept of suspension of disbelief is important. The flying makes it impossible to suspend your disbelief. In the context of a martial arts movie it's just too much to ask.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools