Mar 31, 2017, 07:04 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Build Log

SE 5 Swap Pod Series

Another little plane to add to my "Swap Pod" series ... designed to be built from Hobby King 5mm sheet foam (or similar)

Specs

Wing Span: 680mm
Length: 550mm
Weight
Airframe, no battery: 330 grams
1000/3s battery 90 grams
1300 Bolt Battery: 120 grams
Flying weight with 1000 / 3s battery: 420 gram
Motor: Turnigy L2210-1650 Bell Style Motor (250w) or similar
Prop: 8 x 4.5
ESC: Turnigy Plush min 30A
2 x 5 or 9 gram servos
One sheet of 5mm Hobby King foam

C of G ... 30 mm from leading edge of top wing

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 11, 2017 at 09:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2017, 10:41 AM
Looks great. Looking forward to seeing the maiden!
Mar 31, 2017, 12:14 PM
Looks great.
Apr 01, 2017, 07:03 AM
Hadn't quite finished trimming it when I noticed the wind had dropped so shot out to the park for the maiden

Weight now:

Airframe, no battery: 330 grams
1000/3s battery 90 grams
1300 Bolt Battery: 120 grams

Flying weight with 1000 / 3s battery: 420 grams

First flight was almost a disaster ... it was a bit tail heavy .. very surprising .. anyway moved the battery to the front of the hatch and it was fine .. I was about 20 mm out (3/4")

Needs a bit bigger wheels to fly off grass ... video soon ,,, and YES ... it does what it was designed to do, it flies slow and close so will be good to fly on a small park .. second video I was flying close and low ... BUT ... s4!t its fast on full throttle

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 01, 2017 at 07:56 AM.
Apr 01, 2017, 09:23 AM
Not real sure whats happening to my video editor and you tube ... I have has 3 goes at uploading this video and now its 14 minutes long and BLACK for the last half which shouldn't be there anyway

Anyway, the video is about 8 minutes long and thats it, so the black screen can stay there .. sorry guys, best I can do .. Maybe I can do better with the second flight video

Lockey

Maiden of Mini SE 5 (14 min 35 sec)
Apr 01, 2017, 09:59 AM
Second flight, hope the video is a bit better

Lockey

SE 5 Second Flight (8 min 22 sec)
Apr 01, 2017, 10:03 AM
awwww Lockey, she's adorable
Apr 01, 2017, 10:04 AM
Those first few moments must have been a bit 'buttock clenching'!

It looks a lovely little flyer, the dog will enjoy chasing this one around the garden!
Apr 01, 2017, 10:14 AM
When cows fly!
Nice little NASCAR airplane.....Likes to turn left Great little plane Lockey! Good job
Apr 01, 2017, 10:17 AM
Thanks guys ... yes Adam it was a bit of a worry when I first put her in the air .. my bum cheeks did flutter a bit

Anyway she is a dream to fly .. with the CG set a little further forward

Quote:
Likes to turn left Great little plane Lockey! Good job
You know I cant turn right David especially when I'm flying so low

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 03, 2017 at 06:21 PM.
Apr 03, 2017, 07:17 PM
The plans are now available at some website or other...

https://www.lockeysrcplans.com

I've printed them and cut out all the plywood pieces. My plywood was a bit warped so hopefully it will be ok as the pieces ar.e quite small. If not I guess I'll have to unbend it or get some more.

My batteries are a tad chubbier than Lockeys', but they'll fit in standing on edge. I might just get the recommended one.

This is all I've got so far. Foam cutting starts tomorrow (unless my paint for the Taube arrives.

Edit: Also came across a couple of photos of a model Dornier 335 I made for the kids. How about it Lockey, a swap pod at both ends!
Last edited by scorchythebear; Apr 03, 2017 at 07:30 PM.
Apr 03, 2017, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchythebear
The plans are now available at some website or other...

https://www.lockeysrcplans.com

I've printed them and cut out all the plywood pieces. My plywood was a bit warped so hopefully it will be ok as the pieces ar.e quite small. If not I guess I'll have to unbend it or get some more.

My batteries are a tad chubbier than Lockeys', but they'll fit in standing on edge. I might just get the recommended one.

This is all I've got so far. Foam cutting starts tomorrow (unless my paint for the Taube arrives).
Adam, I see you have gone with the flat bottom roll over wing .. good choice mate ...

By the way mate, the battery is designed to fit under the pod, otherwise you would have to remove the pod every-time the battery needs to be changed

Also the receiver is a fixture in the plane, otherwise it would need to be setup again for each plane you swap it to

The swap pod is really only to swap the motor/prop and the ESC (as these are normally the most expensive parts)

Lockey
Apr 04, 2017, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
By the way mate, the battery is designed to fit under the pod, otherwise you would have to remove the pod every-time the battery needs to be changed
Oops, of course it does!

That's what the hole is for to route the battery cable. Note to self: Look at the bloody build photos...
Apr 04, 2017, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchythebear
Oops, of course it does!

That's what the hole is for to route the battery cable. Note to self: Look at the bloody build photos...
You will also need a short extension servo lead to go from the (fixed) receiver to the ESC power/throttle cable so the pod can be removed

Adam ... if you haven't already started the fuselage can I recommend that you add about 20 mm to the front of the fuselage ... more room to get the battery in and further forward to balance it easier ... if you like I will draw up the mods and put them on a PDF

Flew it 3 times today with the same size battery and the 3rd flight it did the silly looping that it did on the maiden flight which sort of tells me it is right on the borderline of being tail heavy and needs the CG a little further more forward .. I can't really believe it needs to be almost at the front of the top wing to balance the CG

First flight was with the CG 53 mm from the leading edge of the top wing, other flights were with the CG at 35mm and it seems it needs to go a tad further forward again ... to be safe

More videos to follow soon

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 04, 2017 at 03:38 AM.
Apr 04, 2017, 04:00 AM
Cheers Mate. I haven't started the fuselage yet so I'll add the extra 20mm. No need to redraw the pdf

Adam