Mar 31, 2017, 01:57 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

DJI is releasing an RTF racer (DJI Spark)

Just found this, DJI has built an RTF Racer, complete with gimbal. It looks like a stripped down miniature Mavic.

http://www.quadcopterguide.com/dji-s...ked-fpv-racer/
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2017, 03:28 AM
Oh boy, wouldn't take long to explode that bad boy...
Mar 31, 2017, 06:31 PM
I don't think it is a racer. That would be irresponsible of them to put such fast and dangerous quads in experienced hands. Also, why would a racer have a gimbal? I think it's a competition to the selfy drones that have emerged.
Apr 01, 2017, 01:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchbuildrc
I don't think it is a racer. That would be irresponsible of them to put such fast and dangerous quads in experienced hands. Also, why would a racer have a gimbal? I think it's a competition to the selfy drones that have emerged.
That is the Mavics job. The gimbal is only 2 axis, it is always oriented in the pitch of the drone. It also appears to have 2 cameras so it may be sterio vision.

I suspect that they want it to be able to do two roles, race and be a lower price selfie drone.
Apr 02, 2017, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9245
That is the Mavics job. The gimbal is only 2 axis, it is always oriented in the pitch of the drone. It also appears to have 2 cameras so it may be sterio vision.

I suspect that they want it to be able to do two roles, race and be a lower price selfie drone.
Please kill me.....

The LAST thing we all want is DJI giving its fanboys RACING DRONES (hate that label btw). I think it will be a nightmare of people who don't know what they're doing shooting these things around the park and exclaiming that they're "drone racers" when they are clueless about the hobby.
Apr 02, 2017, 07:00 PM
Go Hawks!
I think the spark is geared, as others have said, to the selfie market.
They are taking on the Breeze.

I'd rather have two axis of mechanical stabilization versus the Breeze's electronic stabilization @ 1080p (Breeze spec for the electronic stabi)

With regards to the possibility of it having two cams, I think one is the primary vid/pic cam and the other was a convenient place to put an avoidance sensor, possibly a dual role. Keep it from being too close to the selfie subject, and also to keep it from hitting other objects.
Apr 03, 2017, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38
I think the spark is geared, as others have said, to the selfie market.
They are taking on the Breeze.

I'd rather have two axis of mechanical stabilization versus the Breeze's electronic stabilization @ 1080p (Breeze spec for the electronic stabi)

With regards to the possibility of it having two cams, I think one is the primary vid/pic cam and the other was a convenient place to put an avoidance sensor, possibly a dual role. Keep it from being too close to the selfie subject, and also to keep it from hitting other objects.
It actually looks like there is one cam and the wider lense that looks like it's for two cams is so that the camera can shift back and forth to provide a "3rd axis" yaw stabilization. Super smart idea

Quick Reply