Aug 31, 2017, 09:33 PM
That is great! Looking forward to have one of this... what is your latest estimate for the first batch?
Last edited by jcaguilar; Aug 31, 2017 at 10:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2017, 09:39 PM
Thread OP
End of October for first batch for retail (all the ones that will be on sale will be 1-piece wings), and End of November for the 2nd batch, which will include 2-piece models for sale. Fairly confident with the timeline at the moment.
Sep 01, 2017, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee
There will be a left-handed and a right-handed version of the 2p wings / models.

Is there any other difference other than the location of the hard point?
Sep 01, 2017, 06:28 AM
Thread OP
Yes because the wing is not split down the middle, it is split down the side similar to the Snipe. I've talked with Vladimir extensively on the 2p mechanism a while ago on why they went with an offset split, and he said they have down testing both ways and found that the offset split was lighter and simpler for the same stiffness and durability. And so we are taking their testing outcome to apply to the 2p design of the BAMF.
Sep 02, 2017, 02:07 AM
Why grow up, it makes no sense
Thomas, maybe it is just me but could you clarify somewhere the main differences between the models you are offering on armsoar.com
Or a logical step-up from a GO mini all the way to your topmodel.
For me it's not clear yet why to go for a BAMF and not a Vibe2.
Thanks Francis
Sep 02, 2017, 03:15 AM
Thread OP
Hey Francis,

Our current recommended path from start to end would be GO Mini -> Vibe 2. Once the BAMF comes out, it will likely become GO Mini -> BAMF / Vibe 2.

In simulation, the BAMF's flying efficiency (both min sink and penetration at the same given weight) is matched to the efficiency of the Vibe 2, but, with a much much higher launch potential, which means a better total performance. The only time where the Vibe 2 *might* beat the BAMF is in very light air, but that might also not be the case, depending on how light we can make the light layups. But, in 90% of the time the BAMF should be better. Will need real-world testing to verify soon.

Also, the BAMF is designed from scratch to be incredibly easy to build and maintain, which is going to be our focus for coming products. Very few parts, and every part is very straightforward. I want to minimise any potential failure points and have it as easy to build and maintain as possible, so you can just 'Bring A Model & Fly'. Spend more time flying and less time in the workshop, and reduce the intimidation factor for beginners and those who are not good at building. This is while keeping the performance level right up there. BAMF is meant to replace the Vibe series.

GO is also a good starting model in lieu of the GO Mini, it requires a bit more hands-on building, but is always in stock. And, the GO 2 is a good cheap way into a 1.5m fully molded model with solid core. Performance isn't quite as good as the Vibe series, but is considerably cheaper, and is more than good enough as an entry model and get into thermal soaring, while teaching you the basics of DLG assembly/maintenance.

Hope that gives a good idea of the rundown!

Thomas
Sep 02, 2017, 04:50 AM
Why grow up, it makes no sense
Very clear for me Thomas, my choice is made. Looking forward to the pre-order waiting list :-)
Thanks for the quick reply. I am a very straightforward guy so if i am allowed to summarise (i did not add the Arctus since i do not know if it is your design so if i am wrong please tell me where it should be added):

GOmini >
GO >
GO2 >
Vibe >
Vibe2 >
BAMF

Please correct me if i am wrong and i will edit my post
Sep 02, 2017, 05:10 AM
Thread OP
I would say the GO Mini is higher performance than the stock GO, and GO is higher performance than the GO Mini with after market (for example, Vibe) tails.

Arctus is designed by Mattias Hammarskiold from Sweden, it's an incredibly easy to fly model and very good for light air. Huge wing, but launches well about the same as the Vibe). It's currently my best 'dead air' model, but we sell very very little of them... people are probably scared of the big wing, haha.

No pre orders for BAMF, I feel bad for the delay with the GO Mini for delivering the pre-orders, so we will sell the BAMF as it comes in. I am still thinking what kind of promotion to do for the first batch customers... I think I will include a free BAMF jersey with each model in the first batch Dye sublimated awesomeness, I will have some soon to try.

*edit - I haven't done comparative testing between the GO Mini and GO 2 for performance data. Personally, the GO Mini flies very similar to the 1.5m model (when tuned), but for sure a 1.5 m is going to fly more similar to a 1.5 m model, and that is what GO 2 customers usually are looking for. GO Mini to me feels more alive and dynamic, definitely more 'fun'. Maybe I'll do a comparison later if I have time but not too far up my priority list at the moment.
Last edited by ThomasLee; Sep 02, 2017 at 05:28 AM.
Sep 05, 2017, 10:51 AM
Adam
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee
Arctus is designed by Mattias Hammarskiold from Sweden, it's an incredibly easy to fly model and very good for light air. Huge wing, but launches well about the same as the Vibe). It's currently my best 'dead air' model, but we sell very very little of them... people are probably scared of the big wing, haha.
I hope to own one some day. It is rudderless after all . I think it would match my way of flying better than the high AR models.
Sep 09, 2017, 05:48 AM
Thread OP
Have started production on the tails while we finish up the molds for the wings/tails

Weight is great, and they tell me it's very stiff. Can't wait to fly them once I'm back.
Sep 10, 2017, 10:12 AM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Cool name isn't it? I started a club name with BAMF a while back. Bay Area Model Flyers.
Oct 14, 2017, 07:32 PM
Thread OP
Well I guess the bamf should be a mandatory model for all the bamf club pilots!

Fuselage is just shy of 30g with a nice stiff carbon-reinforced nosecone. Destructive testing places initial cracking at around 2.75KG and complete failure at about 4KG. Our goal is to push initial cracking past 3KG, coupled with the smaller Wing area and lower weight, as well as short boom, it should be very strong.

First wing should be pulled tomorrow a small delay but Im glad were almost there, more pics soon.
Oct 14, 2017, 08:25 PM
aka: Pauly Knuckles
How can I get one of those awesome shirts in post #68??
Can't wait to see this plane!
Oct 14, 2017, 11:55 PM
Thread OP
I’m planning on including one with every plane for the first batch or two of models
Oct 15, 2017, 02:43 PM
finally you get a nice looking pink!!!!! Fuse looks cool man,

Quick Reply