Apr 02, 2017, 12:48 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thomas,

It's really interesting how much the BAMF design philosophy is similar to the Vortex 3's design philosophy. The major difference is the wing area, the V3 is around 20 dm.
I hope this will pave the way to more 2 piece wings and set a new standard for DLG's in general.

Are you going to have internal aileron connection or leave it external like the Go mini?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2017, 05:31 AM
Thread OP
Hi Roy,

I really hope more 2 piece models come out. Simply so many reasons I like it.... cheaper to ship, less chance of shipping damage, easier to store, easier to transport, no oversize charge on airlines (which can be up too 200eur each way), you can replace one half of the wing if it is damaged... and probably many other reasons.

Aileron linkages will be external, fuselage is essentially a 1.5 meter optimised (smaller) version of the Go Mini fuselage. I am sure this will cause some mixed thoughts, and was not a decision I reached lightly.

In the past I did not like external linkages because it always seemed like an afterthought. Fuselages were not really designed to give a clean exit for the pushrod and there are no flairings for the control horns. The one that I really liked was some of the Japanese models like the Blackmagic and Hayabusa, they were external but very cleanly built and designed.

The Go Mini was a proof of concept for this fuselage/linkage design for me, and I am very happy with the results. When the fuselage and linkage is designed to be external from day 1, I was able to make it much cleaner. Since the wing/fuse intersection is relatively 'dirty' on most models, I believe the performance loss on a well-designed external linkage compared to an internal linkage design can be quite small.

Now, the advantages of this system, and why I would be compelled to do this? With the preface of the model being a 2-piece wing model, I want it to be mechanically as simple as possible, as reliable as possible, as easy to assemble as possible, and as easy to maintain as possible. I want this to be easily built by pilots of any skill level, even if this is their first composite model or DLG. Linkages and parts must be durable to avoid fiddling at the field, so that assembly is quick, and that you won't be grounded due to some mechanical issue.

Of course I will need some real-world flight testing to be sure, but the model should be a very high performing model. I think pilots of any level will be very happy with it.

Sorry for the long essay :P
Apr 02, 2017, 09:38 AM
Will fly for Bourbon
Ok, sign me up!
Apr 02, 2017, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee
The Go Mini was a proof of concept for this fuselage/linkage design for me, and I am very happy with the results.
On a relative comparison, is the BAMF fuse expected to have a smaller profile than the Snipe, for example? The Go Mini seems rather bulbous in the pictures I've seen. In any case, it'll be fun seeing this plane design develop.
Apr 02, 2017, 07:58 PM
Thread OP
Yes it will be smaller in profile than the Snipe fuse. The Go Mini is on the slightly big side to make gear selection and installation absolutely eyes-closed easy.

Dave, hope to get on in your hands soon! You'll love how it launches.
Apr 02, 2017, 10:03 PM
No really, it doesn't have one
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee
Hi Roy,

I really hope more 2 piece models come out. Simply so many reasons I like it.... cheaper to ship, less chance of shipping damage, easier to store, easier to transport, no oversize charge on airlines (which can be up too 200eur each way), you can replace one half of the wing if it is damaged... and probably many other reasons.

:P
Are you thinking of designing the fuse as a separate pod and boom, similiar to the Storm? That would make shipping really affordable. I can't wait to try out a Synergy 2 wing, Synergy is already good...
Apr 02, 2017, 10:09 PM
Thread OP
No, fuselage is 1 piece. EMS shipping with insurance will be included with the price (2-5 days to the US). Because the wing is higher AR, the fuse is comparatively shorter as well. The whole model (built) will fit into the 1-meter case we are using for the GO Mini.
Apr 02, 2017, 10:14 PM
No really, it doesn't have one
This is gonna be sweet! Are you going to offer the cases with the BAMF? How much do they cost?
Apr 02, 2017, 10:18 PM
Thread OP
At the moment $600 HKD alone shipped, or $400 HKD with a Go Mini shipped. May need to increase to $650/$450 later though because it increased the weight of the package a bit more than expected, trying to find a way to keep it at the current price right now.
Apr 09, 2017, 10:13 PM
Thread OP
Two candidates for the graphics, tried to keep it within the Aerial/Vibe scheme.
May 17, 2017, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
Hi guys, some updates to the BAMF project.
We have the 3D drawings completed. However, if you have followed the GO Mini thread, I am not feeling the confidence in proceeding with the BAMF project with the originally intended builder(s) due to delivery reliability.
We are working with another producer (that everyone should be very familiar with), more info later as things become more concrete as it's still a little fluid. There will be some changes to the structural design of the model based on input from the new producer, I think when we are ready this will be an incredible model regardless of whether you are a top competitor or a sportsman flying for fun. More soon.
May 17, 2017, 11:52 PM
Really looking forward to this project Thomas.
Money's ready and waiting.

Regards,
Paul
May 18, 2017, 09:52 AM
Watching this thread with much interest. I'm still building my Go 2 (yeah, I'm slow), but having just bought a 2-seat convertible car with a small trunk, I'd be thrilled to have a plane that fits in in it. I'd be willing to do a pre-order if you're going to go that way.
Jun 25, 2017, 11:56 AM
So, Thomas and Co., any news about this one now that the Mini seems to be coming to a happy conclusion with the pre-orders finishing up?

Thinking I may be in the market for a 1.5m in the coming months and this one looks like it might be just the right fit. Literally the right fit for my Mini's case.

Dale
Jun 26, 2017, 08:18 PM
Thread OP
We're working on the 2p system right now, we had two options namely the center split and the offset split, and right now we're doing test wings to see which is the better way to go for us. In the mean time I have continued to refine and refine the aero design, it is going to be really interesting plane to throw and fly I think, with spectacular launch performance. Once we finish 2p wing testings we will go into 3D design (takes about 2-3 weeks) and then start making molds. I *need* this for September as we're going to Japan and I swore I will never take another 1.5m model with me (I even sold my Sportube at Poway!!), so hopefully we have the 2p solved very very soon. This will not be built by the guys doing the GO Mini's. I am also disappointed in myself for the pre order delays in the mini's, and so for the BAMF I will NOT be having a pre-sale, but I will sell the first one or two batches of models at a discount for all the early adapters and loyal supporters, and those will be able to be shipped immediately.

Quick Reply