Mar 31, 2017, 05:27 AM
Hi,

More information about Weicell foam would be good to hear Price, availability, machining,...

to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2017, 05:36 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbox
Buy A Maid and F

Bad Ass Model Flyers

Big Awesome Mad F**ker
You need to calm down and tone it down. Getting out of hand. May buy your wife a leash soon.
Mar 31, 2017, 05:39 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyo
Hi,

More information about Weicell foam would be good to hear Price, availability, machining,...

It is used the same way as Rohacell. Aero+ will sell it, there is usually around 3 weeks lead time. Comes in two versions, light 25-28KG, and heavy 28-32KG (Nick please correct me if I'm wrong on the weights). Pricing is similar to Rohacell.
Lighter and smoother than epoxy. Smooth surface gives better surface finish and less epoxy soaks into the outer layer of foam cells.
Mar 31, 2017, 05:45 AM
AERO+
I'm collecting data and price list from factory, will open another thread once we are ready.
Mar 31, 2017, 09:49 AM
Aurora Builder
Rohacell is available in a HF version that has similar grain structure to XPS for little extra cost. Trouble is the market is small so usually best to order in quantity ($3k minimum usually from Evonik). I suspect shipping will make larger pieces of Weicell difficult, though I am interested in the 25-28kg version. Will send an email Thomas.
Mar 31, 2017, 11:44 AM
Blind Hawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbox
I'm collecting data and price list from factory, will open another thread once we are ready.
Will be anxiously watching for this....

Rj
Mar 31, 2017, 06:06 PM
Took me a few seconds to grasp the name, but I like it. Let's see if its performance matches its namesake.

Just out of curiosity, is the wing Vibe-based or new? I've always said that I can't imagine a better overall performing wing than the Vibe's. Other wings have different advantages and disadvantages, but overall the Vibe is just plain awesome.
Mar 31, 2017, 07:09 PM
Adam
Wow. Nice... but I...

Better Ask the Mrs First... before buying another plane.
Mar 31, 2017, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
The wing is new aerodynamically, but the goal is not new: a Vibe wing that launches significantly higher.

I played around with a lot of airfoils and in the end the Synergy 2 by Gerald Taylor was very close to what I wanted (Honestly, the S2 is wicked in simulation). I then took the S2 and played around with it... changing it and changing it until the more I changed it the worse it got (aw shucks), in the end I used a slightly tweaked S2 paired with our wing design.

The wing area is approx 18.5-18.6 dm^2, a fair bit smaller than the Vibes, in fact it's about halfway between an XXLite and NXT. In the past we felt smaller wings will increase launch height and speed making the plane more dynamic, but give up in other areas such as L/D, min sink, tolerance to turbulence, handling, etc. The cool thing is, we were able to get the wing to perform ON PAR in the gliding phase with the Vibe (a 225 grams-ish BAMF will match the sink rate AND L/D of a 245 grams-ish Vibe/2), but much lower drag overall, less wetted area, and consequently a much higher launch. I can't comment on handling yet, but with the shorter fuselage and oversized stab, I think handling will be a pleasure. That will need to be confirmed by real world testing.

Our initial goal will be around 220-230 grams AUW, but the model is designed to perform exceptionally all the way to 180 grams aerodynamically. Realistically I am not sure how low we can go yet, but the new materials in the past few years have really made it so much easier to get to lower weights. Vibe 2 will still be king of light air because the incredibly lifty wing paired with such a low wing loading. Based on our computed data right now BAMF will be our go-to model (on initial expected flying weights) once wind moves a little bit and the air becomes a little reactive.

The ease of build, ease of transport, ease of assembly on field, I hope will be appreciated by people like me who just want to fly. Linkages and structure is very straight forward (even the 2-piece wing assembly) to minimize down-time and maximize play-time.The performance so far from computer simulations should be nothing short of amazing, with a clear launch advantage that should bring a smile to beginners and advanced pilots alike.
Mar 31, 2017, 07:28 PM
No really, it doesn't have one
You had me at Synergy 2!
Mar 31, 2017, 07:43 PM
Loving the S2 wing idea so far. The proof will be in the pudding. I understand that the S2 can be a tricky foil to work with. Expect lots of mixed reviews.

For me personally, 2-piece wing isn't a big factor. In fact, it probably makes it less desirable, as there are more connections to be made. Unless people are traveling, fewer pieces = simpler. But I understand it from a marketing perspective. I'm sure in the end I'll still be in line for a BAMF-er.

Last edited by DrewV; Apr 01, 2017 at 05:10 AM.
Apr 01, 2017, 12:44 AM
plays with toy planes
This is the holy grail as far as I'm concerned. What's your target AUW?
Apr 01, 2017, 03:35 AM
Thread OP
Thanks guys!
I am not too worried about the setup for the S2, but that will require some real world testing once prototypes are in the air. The Vibes were based on the Edge foils but are gentle as a sheep.
Initial target will be 230 grams, initial production target around 220 grams, with standard layup.
Apr 01, 2017, 05:29 PM
Will this be 4 in the pod?
Apr 01, 2017, 08:12 PM
Thread OP
4 in the pod, fuselage is a essentially a space optimized version of the GO Mini fuselage: longer to fit the 1.5m platform, slimmer, and still very easy to build. Wings are less than 8.6mm at the thickest part, at the moment there are no servos possible to be installed into its wing.

Quick Reply