3-25-17 Dan Johns Day - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by mfwilliams, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 29, 2017, 10:23 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Discussion

3-25-17 Dan Johns Day

Larry Squire sent me this email concerning last Saturday's flying on the hill. As you know, one of our most devoted club members, Dan Johns, passed exactly one month ago, on 2-25-17. At this time, I would like to share with you Larry's message. Most assuredly, Dan is sorely missed, Mike

March 25, 2017, from now on will be known as "Dan Johns Day."

Today was a "10"  in the 70 s, wind 10 to 20, and thermals everywhere. A very big turnout as we got 3 new members. all of them very good pilots and flying great planes.
Around 11 oclock Jamie came with a truckload of Dans planes.Our plan was to have the guys come over and pick out what they fancied and give it a new home and if inclined,make a small donation in Dans name.
I am collecting and will send to Dans brother Mike, who has been working with us to distribute Dans "treasures".
 We paused and we took time for a minutes silence in Dans honor and when our little ceremony was over there were 2 of Dans planes in the air. I got a strange feeling somehow Dan was enjoying from up above. 
We still have a few planes left if any one was not able to come today. 

A lot of the guys came up to me and said they are going to miss Dan and respected him for his expertise,
friendliness,and most of all his ability to solve technical problems.Last but not least, Dans tent was like
heaven on those 90 degree days. 
Our friend is irreplaceable. RIP ,and my best friend is gone,  Larry
to remove ads between posts
Mar 30, 2017, 07:54 AM
Registered Taranis User
For many years I wished that I had lived closer to Dan because we had a lot in common and I would have hung out with him a lot more.

One thing that impressed me about him is that, although all of us like to tell stories, Dan's stories were especially interesting and memorable. He had a variety of hobbies, did a lot of traveling, and had many novel experiences during his lifetime.

Here's my opinion on Dan's Day, which I've emailed to Larry and the group:

Quote:
Larry,

If the object is to yearly commemorate that day then we should recognize it as the fourth Saturday of March, else our club members won't be gathered together for it until the year 2023.

But better, in my opinion, would be to recognize the fourth Saturday of February, the day that Dan died.

Mike
Latest blog entry: Taranis: LiPo Fuel Gauge!