Apr 13, 2017, 10:42 AM

Hubsan H507A GPS FPV Waypoint Follow Me Drone Flight Test Review

Whoops, didn't see this post before posting elsewhere. But as this seems to be the main post for it, here are my thoughts on it again

This little GPS camera quadcopter has advanced features such as waypoints, follow me, and circle position, all controlled via your smartphone.

and here is its flight demonstration
Hubsan H507A GPS FPV Waypoint Follow Me Drone Flight Test Review (22 min 56 sec)

Pros
- Uses your smartphone in conjunction with the "X Hubsan" app to provide full control. The app may be found here on Google Play and here on itunes . And as seen in the video, the app is also available in English (not sure what made people think that it was only in Chinese?).
- Advanced control app with many features.
- 720p camera provides relatively good video.
- True waypoint flying via GPS. If flying in remote locations (with no data signal), you can download maps or satellite views to your phone or tablet via the app while at home, using your home WiFi (saves on data usage). Just connect to your home WiFi, open the app in map view, and scroll to the locations that you intend to fly. Zoom in to desired resolution of the map as needed. The maps will be saved to the app's cache for later use, and will automatically load when at that location (see above video at 5:24).
- Follow me feature follows the GPS in your smartphone or tablet to allow follow me selfies.
- Circle position will circle a user set point of interest on the map.
- Well under 250 grams. Does not require FAA registration.

Cons
- App is not fully covered in the instructions. It takes quite a bit of practice to understand all the advanced features of the app.
- Range of the waypoints seem to limited by remaining battery power.
- Flight time is only about 5 minutes with its 550mah battery. Again, you'll need to practice with the app to minimize fiddling with the controls which wastes time. I apologize for my fiddling in the above video, but it does demonstrate that this app is not trivial.
Last edited by t00nz843z; Apr 13, 2017 at 11:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2017, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aben71
Yes,I have tested this quadcopter in the same open area I have flown both the 501s and 502e and had no gps issues,I think the majority of the problem is that my smartphone is not so good and being that this quadcopter is 100% smartphone operated it is not useable for me at the moment.
did you ever find out if your smartphone needed cellular data to fly with gps ?

Edit: just read post #31. t00nz843z reports that you can download the gps maps using your home wifi & hubsan app so that you won't require cellular data during flight
Last edited by sylvestor2002; Apr 13, 2017 at 11:09 PM.
Apr 14, 2017, 06:04 AM
R/C Superfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvestor2002
did you ever find out if your smartphone needed cellular data to fly with gps ?

Edit: just read post #31. t00nz843z reports that you can download the gps maps using your home wifi & hubsan app so that you won't require cellular data during flight
Yes,I noticed that on his post,that is good news
Apr 17, 2017, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Yes,I noticed that on his post,that is good news
The reviews don't seem to good. This guy said he had trouble finding the correct Hubsan app to download. Here's his youtube review. The quad did not seem to work properly, so either he got a defective unit or maybe he's using the wrong version of the app ?
Apr 17, 2017, 07:14 AM
R/C Superfan
I also had trouble finding the app at first,it is now easy to find at least on goggle play as the X hubsan app.

I suspect some of these early release test model my be buggy,I got my very early on and it actually had no instructions included.I am curious nif a firmware update my be needed.

There is one last drawback to this quadcopter to consider and that would be flight time.If everything was to work properly the flight time is very short and this can be very limiting to the gps features that this quadcopter and app feature.

In my opinion the better idea would be to pass on this model and save money to get the H501A which looks to work very well Same app but brushless motors bigger battery,works with H501S controller and has both wifi and 5.8ghz fpv,much better choice
Apr 18, 2017, 09:56 PM
Quote:
I also had trouble finding the app at first,it is now easy to find at least on goggle play as the X hubsan app.

I suspect some of these early release test model my be buggy,I got my very early on and it actually had no instructions included.I am curious nif a firmware update my be needed.

There is one last drawback to this quadcopter to consider and that would be flight time.If everything was to work properly the flight time is very short and this can be very limiting to the gps features that this quadcopter and app feature.

In my opinion the better idea would be to pass on this model and save money to get the H501A which looks to work very well Same app but brushless motors bigger battery,works with H501S controller and has both wifi and 5.8ghz fpv,much better choice
Have you contacted Hubsan to check if you have to do a firmware update ? Hubsan is a pretty big company. I can't see them selling the H507A if people are going to have so many issues with them. Maybe this explains the reason why the H507A release date keeps getting extended as they are probably working out the bugs ?
Apr 20, 2017, 04:28 AM
Quote:
The reviews don't seem to good. This guy said he had trouble finding the correct Hubsan app to download. Here's his youtube review. The quad did not seem to work properly, so either he got a defective unit or maybe he's using the wrong version of the app ?
Like the H501A using the same Appz, the APK must be download standalone (Google "X-hubsan") and language settings turned into "English (US)" ...
Latest blog entry: Youbi XV-130 130MM FPV Racer
Apr 20, 2017, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
Like the H501A using the same Appz, the APK must be download standalone (Google "X-hubsan") and language settings turned into "English (US)" ...
Is this the correct app ?
Apr 21, 2017, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Is this the correct app ?
Yes correct
Latest blog entry: Youbi XV-130 130MM FPV Racer
Apr 28, 2017, 10:59 PM
Quote:

Any luck getting your quad flying ?
Apr 29, 2017, 10:45 AM
R/C Superfan
Unfortunately not,same issues every time,shelved it for now
May 05, 2017, 01:34 AM
Banggood Staff
Quote:
Unfortunately not,same issues every time,shelved it for now
Hi buddy, I've aleady reflected your situation to Hubsan. They'll contact with you via email soon. Also you can contact with their CS.
May 05, 2017, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGWell
Hi buddy, I've aleady reflected your situation to Hubsan. They'll contact with you via email soon. Also you can contact with their CS.
Do you know when this quad will be ready for sale ?
May 05, 2017, 08:17 AM
R/C Superfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGWell
Fantastic,thank you
May 07, 2017, 09:05 AM
shx
shx

X4 H507A problems

Hi Guys.

I'm having problems with Hubsan X4 H507A. I just got it from Aliexpress and I am experiencing problems with starting it. I recently found this movie
Hubsan X4 STAR H507A - Not fly and strong whistling (1 min 13 sec)
- I have exactly same issue here. 11 satellites, Everything looks good and is well bind and... it doesn't start. One red diode is constantly on. When quad is not in the range of satellites it starts without a problem (if you switch off the safety feature). Please help.

PS. I live in Europe, Poland.

SXH