Midwest Foam Wing - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 29, 2017, 12:25 PM
Discussion

Midwest Foam Wing

I have a Midwest Bonzo, that was built by my father before passing away a few years back. In a different thread someone asked for the dimensions of the Midwest foam wing and stab. Therefore, I am trying to document them the best I can for future use.

From my post in the ACE foam wing thread:

Attached are the dimensions for the stab. Here is how got the airfoil: Traced the tip, scanned it, placed it in CAD and created a spline, measured the root and scaled the tip to match; however the TE needs to be a constant thickness, therefore I rotated the top surface until it matched at the TE to maintain the same thickness from root to tip. The airfoil is fully symmetrical so I suppose it is a NACA series. I don't have time to go and match it up. Hopefully this gets someone else started along the process for documenting it.

Quick note on the stab. Scaling the tip to the root does not yield the proper thickness at the root. Therefore, I measured the thickness and set the tip relative to the leading edge and stretched it until it mated with the the TE dimension. The thickness now works out. I will make a template of the airfoil over the weekend and validate the profile.

The Wing: This is a little more difficult as the Midwest wing was one piece and finding the airfoil is a little tricky as my tips are finished. Therefore, I made some templates of the root and will post what I have if someone wants to run with it.

To find the airfoil, I sanded sheet balsa until it matched the airfoil, I then traced this onto paper scanned it in CAD and made a spline. This is what you see. To find the tip all I did was scale the root to match the chord line that was measured.

Update: 3/31/2017

After looking at the RCM picts I was concerned about the stab profile. So I placed the stab upside down in the fuselage and it didn't match the saddle. Therefore at the root the profile is not symmetrical. I made some balsa templates and re-traced the root airfoil It is now attached in the REV B stab drawing. I went back and confirmed the dimensions.
Last edited by dkane; Mar 31, 2017 at 09:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2017, 03:07 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
Here are some excerpts of Midwest-related data from plans in RCM magazine
Mar 29, 2017, 03:09 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkane
Creating a place holder for two posts placed in the ACE foam wing thread.
....Will it be red with white checkers......and fast?.........
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Mar 30, 2017, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Sumner
....Will it be red with white checkers......and fast?.........
I wish! No, the Bonzo was built by my dad and he never finished it. I plan on finishing it in standard Bonzo colors. However, I am converting it to electric. I will post a pict when I get around to it. It is under a pile of other projects at the moment. Although pulling it down from the rafters made for some very good memories. I also have a partially built Q-200 that he had started as well. Both are on the bucket list.

DK
Mar 30, 2017, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80
Here are some excerpts of Midwest-related data from plans in RCM magazine
David,

This info is very interesting. Has me wondering about the validity of my measurements. However, all I can say is I have the parts and the original Midwest box that they came out of. The wing had the tips sanded so I am speculating on the overall span, but my dimensions are as close as I can measure. The stab is easy and what I have posted matches the part in my shop. I am not clear on whether or not my father trimmed the TE to accept the elevator or if that is the way it was received. If you include the .75" TE stock the root chord starts to get close. The tip dimension I can't explain, nor can I explain the span.

In any case, this is what I have and it is as close as I can get to matching the existing parts.

DK

Quick Reply