Mar 29, 2017, 11:16 AM
Question

Vector powerup

I've two vectors. The first one I've had for a year or so. The second one I've had for a couple of months.

They both work beautifully once I've powered them up. The snag is that they both take a few off/on cycles to get them to boot up successfully - the second vector takes a lot more tries than the first one to the point of being a pain.

The symptoms of not booting up ok are:
1. Swatch colours - they show up as multi-barred rainbow effect boxes rather than one colour.
2. The video screen is not centred/sized correctly. The outer edge of the picture is missed off.

My fix is to disconnect/reconnect the battery. It seems the faster I do this the more likely I am to get it booted up ok - which I know is a brilliant way of blowing up circuitry!

I'm using big (8000mAh, 10C) 4s batteries.

Anyone else seen this? Any suggestions to fix it?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2017, 04:35 PM
because rust never sleeps....
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotsSummer
I've two vectors. The first one I've had for a year or so. The second one I've had for a couple of months.

They both work beautifully once I've powered them up. The snag is that they both take a few off/on cycles to get them to boot up successfully - the second vector takes a lot more tries than the first one to the point of being a pain.

The symptoms of not booting up ok are:
1. Swatch colours - they show up as multi-barred rainbow effect boxes rather than one colour.
2. The video screen is not centred/sized correctly. The outer edge of the picture is missed off.

My fix is to disconnect/reconnect the battery. It seems the faster I do this the more likely I am to get it booted up ok - which I know is a brilliant way of blowing up circuitry!

I'm using big (8000mAh, 10C) 4s batteries.

Anyone else seen this? Any suggestions to fix it?
Sorry no, but. As you have two which are doing the same thing, it could be something common to your setup.

Is the problem easily reproducible? If it is, it would make fault finding a lot easier.

You dont say what type of aircraft you are using, but if one with servos, are you driving the servos from the same supply as the vector ?

Other things to try.
Remove everything from the Vector that you dont need to check to see if the fault is there (like servos, rx input, rssi input, GPS bus, etc). If is suddenly starts behaving properly start adding them back until it start playing up again,

Secondly, try a completely different specification battery, like a 3s with lower mah and higher C rating for example.
Mar 30, 2017, 09:06 AM
Thanks for your thoughts.
I've done as you suggested and tried to isolate the cause through trial and error. I've disconnected parts of the circuit and I've tried 3S/65C and 4S/60C batteries - no joy.

I've found there are just two ways I can make it power up ok.
The first way (as I've already mentioned ) is to rapidly disconnect and then reconnect the battery - this always works as long as I'm quick enough. Not great for circuits though.
The second way is to disconnect the Mobius (used for FPV & recording and supplied from Vector) and connect a board camera instead. With a board camera it all powers up ok with my second Vector.

The odd thing is that my first Vector also very occasionally fails to boot up in the same way but a lot less often than my second Vector. My first Vector has always used a board camera.
Whats odder is that no one else seems to have seen the same issue.

Heyho. Looks like a feature I'll have to get used to.
Mar 31, 2017, 03:05 AM
Perhaps you could post a schematic of the way it is wired, and what the current limits are on any BECs in the circuit.
Mar 31, 2017, 12:53 PM
(Attached is a photo of the Vector circuitry before installation into plane)

For both my Vector planes the BEC I've used is an Overlander rated as continuous 5A and max 7.5A. I've tried it with and without its inductive toroidal ring (for smoothing its output) - no difference. I've also just tried a generic Chinese BEC of unknown rating - no difference.

The BEC feeds the servo side of the Vector and also the L9R receiver via the sbus connection.

The only thing I haven't tried in my experiments is disconnecting the servos - but they are a pain reconnecting to the Vector and I kinda need them all anyway. The planes both use 7 servos but they are small'ish non-digitals.

I give up trying to find a better fix than a rapid recycled reboot to get the Vector to come up properly. Its not ideal but it does work. I reckon the problem is down to the Mobius sucking too much current on the powerup transient and I'll just have to live with it.
Mar 31, 2017, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotsSummer
(Attached is a photo of the Vector circuitry before installation into plane)

For both my Vector planes the BEC I've used is an Overlander rated as continuous 5A and max 7.5A. I've tried it with and without its inductive toroidal ring (for smoothing its output) - no difference. I've also just tried a generic Chinese BEC of unknown rating - no difference.

The BEC feeds the servo side of the Vector and also the L9R receiver via the sbus connection.

The only thing I haven't tried in my experiments is disconnecting the servos - but they are a pain reconnecting to the Vector and I kinda need them all anyway. The planes both use 7 servos but they are small'ish non-digitals.

I give up trying to find a better fix than a rapid recycled reboot to get the Vector to come up properly. Its not ideal but it does work. I reckon the problem is down to the Mobius sucking too much current on the powerup transient and I'll just have to live with it.
As you are connecting the BEC to the servo side of the Vector, then I think you can forget about everything which supplied by the BEC.
It sounds as if you are describing a brownout situation at startup. Assuming the Vector(s) is OK, then that leaves us with just a few components.

The Vector is fed from the current sensor. Possible that the current sensor 5v regulator is faulty, but that is not likely to be affecting both current sensors, and as you have the same fault with two sensors we should probably forget that.

The other things which are powered from the Vector supply are
GPS
Airspeed sensor
vTx
Camera

There are documented current limitations for all of these. But for the fault to be common to two systems would be unlikely unless you are using the same model camera or vTX and that design is drawing too much current momentarily. Or, perhaps you have been testing both Vectors on the bench with shared components and one of them is just faulty.

I would begin by testing with the bus cable disconnected, and then look to camera/vTX.
Mar 31, 2017, 04:42 PM
I've already tried disconnecting the Vector bus cable from the GPS and airspeed sensor - still didn't power up ok.

I'm using the same type of vTx in both planes. I've already tried disconnecting it on powerup and then reconnecting it afterwards - still didn't power up ok on the second plane while the Mobius was connected.

The only thing that has made a dramatic difference is to do with the camera. Replacing the Mobius with a board camera allowed my second plane to power up successfully first time over a number of tries. But as I've said - my first plane does not have a Mobius and it does fail to power up sometimes but only very occasionally.

The most confusing faults are where two causes occur together. Maybe the vTx and the Mobius both pull a lot of current on the startup transient and maybe the Mobius more so. Maybe using both together is just too much 100% of the time.

Sadly I don't have another type of vTx to try.
Mar 31, 2017, 11:35 PM
Try removing the UBEC and power the entire setup with the Vector PSU.
Apr 01, 2017, 11:38 AM
I believe the current draw of 7 servos would exceed the 1A max of the Vectors 5v supply - so I need a UBEC in the circuit somewhere.

I have just done an experiment where I've taken the supply to the UBEC from the PSU output rather than direct from the battery. No surprises - fails to powerup in the same way.