Simple Noob question about FrSky Taranis X9D Plus and S6R Rx - RC Groups
Mar 29, 2017, 07:19 AM
Question

Simple Noob question about FrSky Taranis X9D Plus and S6R Rx

I'm a total Noob here. Just purchased a FrKsy Taranis X9D Plus and a FrSky S6R rx.

I've watch many videos and read many pages on OpenTx and OpenTXU. I've made good progress. I've got the Rx bound and it's moving servos, so I'm getting up to speed, but I'm missing something regarding telemetry.

My Q: I'm not getting any RSSI or Rx voltage telemetry. The telemetry screen says "no data". Any ideas what to check?

Taranis FW 2.1.9
S6R FW Version : 161226
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2017, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottand1000
I'm a total Noob here. Just purchased a FrKsy Taranis X9D Plus and a FrSky S6R rx.

I've watch many videos and read many pages on OpenTx and OpenTXU. I've made good progress. I've got the Rx bound and it's moving servos, so I'm getting up to speed, but I'm missing something regarding telemetry.

My Q: I'm not getting any RSSI or Rx voltage telemetry. The telemetry screen says "no data". Any ideas what to check?

Taranis FW 2.1.9
S6R FW Version : 161226
Have you clicked on discover or search new sensors on telemetry secrren? Click on it and you will see the sensors , after stop the process. they will remain in memory and after you can also add new "virtual" sensors for calculated values.
Mar 29, 2017, 11:34 AM
I'm looking for the RSSI and Rx batt voltage that are "built in" to the S6R receiver. I believe they should appear automatically once the Rx is bound, but maybe this is where I'm going wrong....

In any case, "discovering new sensors" doesn't yield anything either
Mar 29, 2017, 12:40 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
I'm looking for the RSSI and Rx batt voltage that are "built in" to the S6R receiver. I believe they should appear automatically once the Rx is bound, but maybe this is where I'm going wrong....

In any case, "discovering new sensors" doesn't yield anything either
They appear when sensor discovery is run (until then the Transmitter is not paying attention to them), then they need to be setup in the Telemetry section so you get display.
Mar 29, 2017, 12:43 PM
Also the RX has to be powered on and bound for the Telemetry discovery to work.
Mar 29, 2017, 09:55 PM
I do have the Rx (S6R) bound and turned on, but I don't see any RSSI values or RX battery voltage.

If I run "Discover new sensors", nothing seems to happen (I run this when the Rx is turned on). I can toggle this back to "Stop discovery", and back and forth forever, but discovery never seems to happen. I have no other sensors attached to the SPort... I think I'm missing something more basic...

First, I'm assuming the S6R is like any "X" Rx in that I get the RSSI and Rx battery voltage by default. At least that's how I read the FrSky description of the S6R features. Am I right thinking this?

Could it be some basic radio or model setup to activate telemetry? I read that telemetry is model specific and I've been up and down the model setup screens...

Thanks
Last edited by scottand1000; Mar 29, 2017 at 10:32 PM. Reason: typos
Mar 29, 2017, 10:16 PM
wrong doc sorry...
Mar 29, 2017, 10:31 PM
Nothing in the manual indicates that the S6R supports telemetry... I don't have on one and I haven't really looked into it so I can't say for sure.

http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/vie...Manual-S6R/S8R

RSSI is available from a pin on the RX and there may be a way to convert and send that as a value over an OSD

Edit: well skimming this...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...elemetry/page6

It seems maybe it does...
Last edited by pressalltheknobs; Mar 29, 2017 at 10:42 PM.
Mar 29, 2017, 11:09 PM
I know, I'm confused now...

The FrSky website lists the S6R FEATURES&SPECIFICATION:

"Built-in RSSI PWM output (0~3.3V) on board"
"Built-in battery voltage sensor"

The S6R manual lists:

"With RSSI output on board..."

But, as pressalltheknobs indicates, the S6R/S8R manual lists:

"Built-in RSSI PWM output (0-3.3V) (S8R only)"
Mar 29, 2017, 11:40 PM
It's a normal X series receiver as far as telemetry goes. Normally once the receiver is successfully bound you can discover sensors and see the RSSI and Rx voltage as telemetry values on your transmitter.

You are saying that isn't happening. If you connect servos or something using SBUS to the Rx do you see normal operation?

The X8R has an additional RSSI output port for connection to an OSD or FC (for example).
Mar 30, 2017, 12:18 AM
The S6R doesn't have a SBUS connector as far as I can tell. It does have a SPort connector though. I do have a PWM servo connected to CH1 as a test, and that is functioning properly.

I thought the S6R was similar to an "X" receiver too. But then I looked at the S6R/S8R manual, and it is indicating something about RSSI that is "S8R only". On the FrSky site, there is a "S6R" manual as well as a "S6R/S8R" manual. The two manuals seem to be saying different things. But maybe I just don't understand what I'm reading...
Mar 30, 2017, 09:01 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
The S6R doesn't have a SBUS connector as far as I can tell. It does have a SPort connector though. I do have a PWM servo connected to CH1 as a test, and that is functioning properly.

I thought the S6R was similar to an "X" receiver too. But then I looked at the S6R/S8R manual, and it is indicating something about RSSI that is "S8R only". On the FrSky site, there is a "S6R" manual as well as a "S6R/S8R" manual. The two manuals seem to be saying different things. But maybe I just don't understand what I'm reading...
What's unique to the X8R and S8R is a RSSI PWM output on the RX to feed a FC (on the RX8R this output is replaced by an SBus input from the remote receiver). With the S6R (and the X4R and X6R) you need to assign RSSI to a channel from the TX and use up a servo output (or SBus channel on the X4R-SB and X6R) to send RSSI to the FC .

All the X & S series receivers except the XM/XM+ will send RSSI and RX Voltage to the TX.
Mar 30, 2017, 09:54 AM
mawz,

Thanks for the explanation! This is what I was looking for. So the S6R is capable of sending RSSI and Rx voltage.

Do you have any idea why I don't see RSSI & Rx voltage on my Taranis Plus screen? It says "no data". I've tried "discovering new sensors" but this didn't help, didn't do anything. I kinda of thought once a X or S series Rx was bound successfully, I would see RSSI and Rx voltage automatically. I guess I'm doing something wrong in the radio or models setup... Sorry about the dumb question; I'm on steep learning curve here...
Mar 30, 2017, 10:10 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
mawz,

Thanks for the explanation! This is what I was looking for. So the S6R is capable of sending RSSI and Rx voltage.

Do you have any idea why I don't see RSSI & Rx voltage on my Taranis Plus screen? It says "no data". I've tried "discovering new sensors" but this didn't help, didn't do anything. I kinda of thought once a X or S series Rx was bound successfully, I would see RSSI and Rx voltage automatically. I guess I'm doing something wrong in the radio or models setup... Sorry about the dumb question; I'm on steep learning curve here...
If you go to the Telemetry page, after running discovery, do you see RSSI and RxBatt on the list, like this?

Ignore the extra sensors (that's a simulation of a ship that has a Vario and ESC telemetry installed, so I have some extras)
Mar 30, 2017, 10:50 AM
mawz,

taranis FW 2.1.9
S6R FW 161226
The S6R is bound, it moves a servo, and it is "on" when I search for new sensors

In the model setup screens, I don't see any sensors on the list. When I try to discover new sensors, it's as if "discovering new sensors" doesn't do a thing. I can toggle it back and forth ("stop discovery") but nothing ever seems to happen when I do this.

I don't find any such choice as "find new sensors" on the telemetry screen itself.