Rane 2017 - RC Groups
Mar 28, 2017, 01:59 PM
Janne Lappi, F3A Team Finland
Data

Rane 2017

Hi all,

Here we present you our newest F3P design “Rane 2017”. This model was flown by Finnish pilots Janne Lappi, Iiro Lehto, and Kimmo Kaukoranta in the F3P World Championship 2017 in Strasbourg. This is the fourth iteration of the Rane designs and incorporates several changes from the previous 2016 model. We are very pleased with the flying characteristics of this model. All maneuvers in the 2016-2017 schedules can be flown with ease.

The class F3P has developed rapidly in the recent years and modern high-end F3P planes and equipment are not easily available. Therefore we decided to share some of our knowledge on building F3P planes. Building competitive F3P planes doesn’t need to be made too complicated and difficult. All you need is good materials, correct techniques, and a lot of patience. Below we share the drawings of our plane along with some building tips and pictures.

Building

We use van Dijk Pultrusion Products (DPP) carbon fiber. It is good quality and they have a nice range of different diameters. In the model drawing the diameters of carbon fiber rods (and tubes) are presented. The curved parts were laminated using the heat shrink tube method. We used four 1K carbon tows pulled inside 0.8 mm heat shrink tubing.

A very important building material is the glue. Gluing the carbon fiber rods is easy once you have good quality thick CA glue. We recommend using BSI Maxi Cure (available from Hobbyking for example) and some CA activator (foam safe is fine). The glue joints are strong enough to hold everything together. Tying the joints with kevlar thread or similar is not necessary once you have good glue.

Control surface hinges are made using 0.7 mm carbon tube and 0.28 mm carbon rod. One hinge consists of three pieces of 0.7 mm tube and one piece of 0.28 mm rod. The 0.28 mm rod is glued in the outer 0.7 mm tubes. The 0.7 mm center piece is rotating on the 0.28 mm rod.

For covering we use 3 micron mylar and contact glue, both available from the Russian F3P guru Alexey Lantsov. Spray contact glue such as 3M 77 also works fine but is slightly heavier. The color scheme is airbrushed with stencils made of thick paper. The scheme is included in the drawings. The first step is to apply the white base paint to make the model less transparent. Be careful and avoid adding a lot of weight by applying too much white paint. We have used different kinds of water based paints and they usually work fine. Just use something that is designed for airbrush use and thin it properly.

Once the parts have been covered and painted, the assembly of the model begins. The first step is to glue the lower vertical fuselage to the horizontal part, and add the bracings (see the pictures). It is best to first add the carbon sticks, and after that the kevlar threads to support the wing. The aileron servo and linkages, the landing gear, and the lower canaliser should be built before gluing the upper vertical fuselage.

The aileron servo is installed behind the ailerons as you can see in the pictures. This achieves better linkage geometry with the backswept aileron hinge line.

Equipment

For equipment we recommend modified EMAX servos and modified ESCs which are further described in the thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ips-and-tricks.
Our motor system is Kimmo 1s system with 15x8W balsa propellers. This system is unfortunately not available at the moment because Kimmo doesn’t have time to produce them. Thus we recommend using Glavak 1s or Lantsov 1s system. Both are very nice quality and will work without any problems. We use only small air brakes attached on canalisers because our wide propellers provide effective braking. With Glavak and Lantsov systems you might want to have larger air brakes to achieve sufficiently slow downlines.

Below you can see detailed pictures of the model.

We hope our information package will help and encourage people to build new carbon fiber models. Just get some carbon and start experimenting - soon you will find out how to build. Our planes are quite carefully finished but it is not necessary at all to be able to fly. We hope to see many Rane 2017 flying in the next season

Happy landings!

Janne Lappi & Iiro Lehto
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2017, 03:23 PM
Senior to who? Member
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I'm just starting my first try at a coax drive build and was thinking of building a Colibri but this is a bit more current.
Mar 28, 2017, 03:34 PM
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
fantastic build! Thanks for providing info and detailed photos!

Free
Mar 28, 2017, 05:09 PM
Janne, Thanks for sharing. I could not open files on my Mac but was wondering if you showed CG location?

Vince

One more thing, Is Kimmo going to show how he built your props?
Mar 28, 2017, 05:16 PM
Senior to who? Member
So ordering boron on Sunday was a smart move I guess, I had no thought of using it on CF, however with 200' of it, I might as well.

Can you tell us the size of CF used for bracing(the smallest braces)?
Mar 28, 2017, 10:33 PM
Learning to crash
Thats just insane, and beautiful. Very nice!
Mar 29, 2017, 01:56 AM
Janne Lappi, F3A Team Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossup
So ordering boron on Sunday was a smart move I guess, I had no thought of using it on CF, however with 200' of it, I might as well.

Can you tell us the size of CF used for bracing(the smallest braces)?
I don't recommend using boron for Rane 2017. It is difficult to use and the weight saving compared to 0.28 mm carbon is minimal.

Aileron bracing is 0.5mm and elevator bracing is mixed 0.28 and 0.5. Fuselage bracing is 0.28 mm in the back as you can see the bracing is on both sides, under and top. The rest of the fuselage bracing is 0.5 mm.
Mar 29, 2017, 09:55 AM
Flying>Life
There's a good chance that you guys will being seeing a balsa version of this plane sometime next season
Mar 29, 2017, 11:55 AM
Senior to who? Member
Or maybe two assuming I can learn enough of Josephs building techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephSzczur101
There's a good chance that you guys will being seeing a balsa version of this plane sometime next season
Apr 12, 2017, 05:54 AM
Thank you very much for sharing the plans with us!!! Really appreciate it!
As I was looking at your pictures very closely I saw the placement of the aileron servo. Why did you choose this method over the "traditional" way?
The plans are printed and I will start building soon for the next season ;D
Thank you very much once again for sharing these awesome plans!

Frederik
Apr 12, 2017, 06:36 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanneL
[
The aileron servo is installed behind the ailerons as you can see in the pictures. This achieves better linkage geometry with the backswept aileron hinge line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederik H.
As I was looking at your pictures very closely I saw the placement of the aileron servo. Why did you choose this method over the "traditional" way?
Because of the swept hinge line the geometry would not work well with the servo in front.
Apr 12, 2017, 06:38 AM
Ah ok, sorry, should have read more closely ;D
Apr 19, 2017, 10:01 PM
Janne, I have a couple of questions:

In your building techniques you said with good glue you didn't need to wrap joints with kevlar. I have never wrapped any of the bracing joints, just used thick CA. But did you mean that you didn't need to wrap the joints in the basic "flat" structure? That would save so much time!

I was able to download and view your drawing but it was dimensionless. Could you give us one or more reference dimensions? One on the fuselage and one on the wing. Please.

Would you comment on CG location.

Thanks, Vince
Apr 20, 2017, 10:14 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Pretty sure the drawing is 1:1, with one drawing unit = 1 mm.
That gives a span of just under 850mm
If (like me ) you would rather work in inches scale it down.
Apr 21, 2017, 01:14 AM
F3A Team Finland
Yes, the drawing is 1:1 - just make sure you don't accidentally scale it when printing like I did with the T-cans...

Also Janne and Iiro only wrapped the most important joints when building the flat surfaces. Their planes seem to hold together rather well regardless. I did wrap practically all of the joints in the flat parts though but that takes a lot of time.