Feb 01, 2018, 12:00 PM
Garland
Thread OP
Thanks for the advice ferret! I appreciate that! I prob shouldnt say sermos as these really are Anderson powerpoles. One is prob the generic of the other. I plan to solder each contact even though I have the special crimper tool. And I wil check each APP plastic housing.

Good point ferret as it is now batteries have short 28guage lead and futaba plug deep in the pane where I cant reach them.. with 16guage wire they can have longer leads to the open near RX and 1 APP connector or so. Less extensions, less connectors, more reliability!!

I know XPS and a few here doesnt like deans ( deans coming off my plane also) are APP ok? I know there good/bad in any choice
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2018, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia
Thanks for the advice ferret! I appreciate that! I prob shouldnt say sermos as these really are Anderson powerpoles. One is prob the generic of the other. I plan to solder each contact even though I have the special crimper tool. And I wil check each APP plastic housing.

Good point ferret as it is now batteries have short 28guage lead and futaba plug deep in the pane where I cant reach them.. with 16guage wire they can have longer leads to the open near RX and 1 APP connector or so. Less extensions, less connectors, more reliability!!

I know XPS and a few here doesnt like deans ( deans coming off my plane also) are APP ok? I know there good/bad in any choice
I tried everything under the sun, I finally settled on the XT60's and silicon covered wires.
Feb 02, 2018, 09:10 AM
Build more, websurf less
28ga power lead is too small to deliver enough power to servos in a standard-size plane. 20ga high-quality stranded wire and high-quality RC connectors will be fine. Keep power cable runs less than 6-8 inches if possible.
Feb 03, 2018, 02:08 PM
Garland
Thread OP
Thanks FlyingW! Last year I wante to fly this and maybe didnt think certain things through on this plane. I hope it never sounded like I point blame only at XPS as that never was my intent. This plane is prob only still alive due to XPS failsafe despite of my build choices!

I will update this every step as I fix and please follow along with any advice as I now others know more then me on stuff.

My net step is to open each pack and resolder all leads to the Rx with 16guage wire. I ahve some 20 gauge servo wire but I think over kill wire wouldnt hurt here.
Aug 09, 2019, 02:16 PM
Garland
Thread OP
Crashed this plane recently . I need to be honest here and I rushed the range check. Tattle tale was blinking green <I set this during failsafe and 8chan rx was solid red then also ... so I cycled radio power to get the green rx led I wanted, called the range test good and gave my A9 radio to my flight instructor and started engine. I did wrong here and mostly knew it but I wanted to fly. Not my smartest choice I'd say.

Instructor sped down runway and took off plane. It got to 20ft up and at the exact end of the runway the engine cuts off and it noses straight up vertical real beautiful like! <I failsafed this also .. engine to off with a elevator kick up

Instructor then calmly flips plane on its back for a very low unpowered loop and he almost lands it but suffered minor front wood damage.

Hitec A9 radio
Twin 2300mah A123 packs
8 Chan rx

I did many range checks slowly after this crash. It failed each with tattle blink green in less then 125ft.

I bound rx to my spare A9 radio and it failed also in less then 125ft.

So this rx has acted up on twin A9 radios a 9C and also 8U radio all XPS gear was checked by the XPS factory before this flight. This rx did a whole lot right despite myself I'm not sure what the prob is

I would like to still hopefully ask for help and will post pics and more this weekend after work
Last edited by Ghia; Aug 09, 2019 at 05:05 PM.
Aug 10, 2019, 06:14 PM
Please do post pics of the installation. The receiver needs to be at least 1 foot off of the ground when you do the range test, and of course wires and such away from it.

Range, as in the transmitter module power/antenna, is not the issue. If it was, you would only get a few feet in the range test. When you release the PROG button, the range will be 41.2 times whatever the range was in your range test. So if you got 10 feet max, the max range would be 412 feet. 50 feet would give you about 1/2 mile, etc.
Aug 11, 2019, 08:08 PM
Garland
Thread OP
Thanks JD! Here is installation photos
Aug 11, 2019, 11:13 PM
So, what angle fails the range test? Do you have the failsafe set for the channel that the Tattletale is plugged into set as PWM OFF? Do you have the failsafe set for 2 seconds? I am trying to understand why your Tattletale is flashing.

What hopping mode are you using? You are conducting the range test with the transmitter antenna ON, correct?
Aug 12, 2019, 11:21 AM
Garland
Thread OP
Plane was range tested on asphalt, radio antenna was installed and cocked at a 90deg right angle to the aircraft's right broadside during test.

All fail safes set for 2 secs. engine failsafe to idle, elevator chan failsafe to kick nose up, tattle channel set to failsafe pwm off.

I believe I in full hop mode and I sent all my XPS gear off a good while ago and paid for version 3 upgrade <I can check this at home

thanks for any help JD!
Aug 12, 2019, 07:23 PM
What is the height of the receiver itself when you are doing the range test? You may have to put the aircraft on a box to get the receiver the minimum of 1' off of the ground.
Aug 12, 2019, 10:59 PM
Garland
Thread OP
I know my TX LED green flicker is very fast on connection so thats the latest and greatest version right? And if I remove RX batt power, RX LED slow flash orange. So i think im at version 3 something. So ALL my XPS gear is the same.

Id say Im pretty close to the 1 ft above ground rule. I can sure range test this plane on a box or bench at the field thats no prob JD...but can it be that simple? Im thinkin I got major probs inside my Hitec that require major surgery on my antenna wires.

I also think maybe nitro engine vibes have killed the antena tip of this 8 chan Rx cause it might have touched the wing rubber band rod on the plane even though its padded otherwise. But this RX works fine in all other tasks! It will talk to XDP, failsafe, bind to TX etc. Im just not sure.

I think I will put this 8 chan RX back in plane just as it was installed. Range test it like I did on the ground and video it I bet it fails that again....then put it on a box or bench and it should pass?? I hope it wil!
Aug 13, 2019, 02:11 AM
What do you mean about your Hitec requiring major surgery? Are you using a modified Tx module?
Aug 13, 2019, 05:57 AM
Garland
Thread OP
Yes JD I use these antena wires inside my hitec A9 radios. I just bought 2 new sets from you. I think it might be part of my prob maybe I dinked up in there. I will post pics once I open my radios up. But did I dink up 2 A9 radios installs?? I dunno but maybe...
Aug 13, 2019, 01:38 PM
Ugh.. yeah, that definitely can cause a range issue if you damaged the u.FL connector when placing it on the RF module.

Quick Reply