tattle tale blinks green LED with glitches in flight - Page 2 - RC Groups
Aug 08, 2017, 10:58 PM
Garland
Yeh I have my batt wires strapped under and actually touching the 8 channel RX. No other of my XPS installations do that.

I will make changes and report back. Its so refreshing to get help from the owner himself! This why I have been very happy XPS customer since 2008ish!!

I have flown helis for many years but can't solo a rc plane yet! Im very excited to tweak my wires and finally solo this trainer! I think I'm on right track now! But I also will check orange led and power off like ya said!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2017, 09:26 AM
Garland
I powered everything on till I could move servos and then unplugged power from RX with TX left on. Plugged back in the RX always blinks orange and tattle tale stays solid green. I did find a damaged aileron plug almost letting the contacts touch which I fixed. I moved RX and wires and made some tweaks so I will try to fly this again!

http://www.big-mick.com/uploads/edit...gqmld1knrd.jpg

http://www.big-mick.com/uploads/edit...drany87ig5.jpg
Aug 15, 2017, 09:09 PM
Garland
Close call last flight

Plane still glitched/ failsafed 3 times during its last flight! Damn! I thought i had it fixed!

Did y'all know up elev with left rudder failsafed together will instantly KILL all lift under the left wing??? Who's the ass that set that up?? (me!)

I fought it each time that last flight with my failsafes trying hard to lose altitude and crash me each glitch! My instructor Brett couldnt get my neck strap disconnected so he asked to fly it then stepped in and grabbed my Tx and pulled my face over his shoulder! Two grown ass men standing WAY too close to each other! He landed it like a boss!

I had a few heart attacks during that flight. But it lives on to get this right and solo this plane! Im putting all blame right now in my molex 8 pin shunt thingy i installed between a123 2300mah batts and rx. ..im starting from sc ratch and will post here as i go.

Positive take aways is my fuel and engine system is spot on!
Aug 16, 2017, 09:34 AM
Build more, websurf less
Garland,

I'm thinking also that a molex connector conveying critical power to the airborne electronics in a vibrating plane might be a possible trouble spot.

Good luck with sorting it.

Paul
Aug 16, 2017, 09:58 AM
Garland
Yeh i added my 8 pin molex shunt idea to my heli which was reliable till then....it failsafed on heli pad, all coontrols hold wngine to idle, slow mo tipping over with its XPS 10 channel blinking orange..minor damage slow headspeed luckily.

Wait let me be honest that heli slowmo tipped ovr two times in 2 weeks! I didnt realize some molex pins vibed out till after second crash.

This happened same day as exciting plane flight
Aug 19, 2017, 02:56 PM
Garland
Ok the lil wood rx shelf I had made onto the airplane frame sidewall (pic somewhere here) was only partially glued down. So I had my 8 chan Rx strapped to shoddy shelf! I said Im now going through this plane meticulously!

Im making a SOLID Rx mount (LT-40 didnt have a good spot at all for the rx in the plans build) Im moving it as high as I can in the plane. Im giving the older tech 8chan XPS its best chance to blow my socks off in this plane like it always have in my helis!

I know I can just swap in a RFU or nano right now and most likely be issue free due to their newer tech. But I'd still wonder why a 8chan didnt work in my plane? Would the newer XPS tech just be a "band aid" over my problem?

So if doing things by the XPS book gets my 8 channel happy then I KNOW a RFU or nano will be extremely happyin my new RX location yes?
Aug 19, 2017, 03:12 PM
Build more, websurf less
Garland,

Yes, if the 8ch is happy, so will the Nano and RFU. I had my 8ch XPS receiver on a shelf high up in the fuse just under the wing in a plane similar to an LT-40 and it worked well.

Note that you need another device called the X10+ to work in conjunction with the RFU. The RFU has a single output that plugs into the X10+ and the X10+ in turn provides connections to the servos. The X10+ is also where you connect power for the receiver and servos.

The Nano includes servo output pins.

Paul
Aug 19, 2017, 07:19 PM
Garland
Thanks Paul! I have nanos, a X10, and a RFU new in package here. I will probably install a nano in this plane later as I think a RFU is over kill in a trainer plane.

If I can get a 8channel happy then Id prefer that choice.

Ok I made my shelf and Imade a window so I can see what my RX is doing! Let me know what ya'll think on my install!
Aug 19, 2017, 09:42 PM
Build more, websurf less
Looks good - except maybe for that windshield. If the windshield film is metallic in any way then it will impair the reception of the receiver antenna - which appears to be surrounded by it.
Aug 24, 2017, 12:20 PM
Garland
Thanks Paul! I think that silver decal is standard LT-40 fare included with kit. I doubt the silver has metallic in it but I will range test this and if it does then I get new sticker from Sig which are black windows now!
Aug 25, 2017, 04:59 PM
Garland
Ok today I'll resolder all the module pins on my 8U and 9C radios. These radios have been good to me but they never have seen a service dept and I bought them in 2001. Spending almost 100$ Each to have them looked at (not parts or any possible repairs) when they worth less then 100$ doesnt make $$ sense. So the last thing I do to them will be cheap insurance on their module pins by resoldering all of them.

I just bought this brand new! Hitec Aurora 9! But XPS is closed a few weeks moving so no module for it yet! BAD TIMING ON XPS PART!

What ever glitch I am having I will find and fix it!