Mar 27, 2017, 09:25 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Build for upcoming SMALL event (Now building Bokkie Mk II)

Running a little short on time at this point, but I'm hoping to put together a 1/2A House of Balsa P51. Looks like I might have snagged one of the last kits around ---> http://www.activepowersports.com/kits-scale-0-19/

Looks like my order is processing ok and hopefully I won't get a backorder status from them. I also ordered a new in box throttled Norvel .061 for the plane off eBay which hopefully will make for a sweet and fun little combo.

Question about SMALL for anyone who has been before... would that plane and engine be sort of typical of what people bring out? I saw some pics of past events but I think I only saw Cox engines! I loved my Cox's back in the 70's and 80's but now the Norvels seem to be altogether better with their proper mufflers and throttles.

Also I'm not a real proficient pilot, but I take it SMALL is a fun-fly and not really a competition type of event? I wouldn't want to go and just find myself in the way of the real pilots, but if it's mostly about making laps around the field I can definitely handle that.

And another thing, I have a New Era III just about finished up with a .25 on the nose. I guess up to .25 is welcome but would that plane be sort of out of place there? Might be fun to bring more than one plane and the mini pattern plane might be sort of interesting since it is a classic non-arf plane.

Would appreciate any feedback before I whip myself into "serious mode" to get my stuff ready in time and drive 5-1/2 hours to the event.
Last edited by TexasWade; Mar 30, 2017 at 09:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2017, 09:47 PM
Barnwell, SC
You will see Cox, Norvel, OS, PAW, OK, and others. the only competition is to see who has the most fun. Great bunch of guys (even the Texans). Please come and look up TLAR Engineering bunch otherwise known as the Mammoth Spring Mafia. A great time is guaranteed!
I'm finishing up a Sharkface and plan to get a couple of more glow FF ready.
.25 is welcome and I'll probably have one with me that a friend wants to sell. Plus I'll fly 1/2A, .25 and .36 control line.
See thread and follow links to previous years. You'll have fun!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ville-Arkansas
Last edited by hfenn; Mar 27, 2017 at 09:50 PM. Reason: additional information
Mar 28, 2017, 06:48 AM
The only competition at SMALL is to see who can have the most fun !!
Please attend and become a 12 year old again.
Mar 28, 2017, 12:27 PM
Thread OP
Sounds really good!

Now hopefully my kit and engine will show up... kit status changed from "ready to ship" to "pending" though. Seems like if everything was good to go it should have gone to "shipped", so Houston, we might have a problem. Also no shipping notice yet going on 2 days after the eBay purchase which is a bit behind the curve there. Seller has only like 12 feedback which makes me a bit nervous too. Paypal will iron it out if needed but hopefully the selller will come through soon.

On the other hand, I scored a good looking Tee Dee .09 that ought to be here by the weekend and I've been perusing plans at Outerzone. Actually I sort of have my eye on the Super Sportster 20. I could have a plan printed out scaled to about a 38"-40" wingspan and be building by this weekend if my P51 kit doesn't pan out.

The New Era III just needs a clear coat of butyrate and will be ready to go next week. So unless she has a disasterous maiden flight, I'll definitely bring that one to SMALL along with whatever new plane I can throw together
Mar 28, 2017, 01:26 PM
There will be plenty of planes for you to fly if things don't work out on delivery dates.
There usually will be in the neighborhood of 300 planes. If you see one you want to fly, just ask.
Mar 28, 2017, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWade
Sounds really good!

Now hopefully my kit and engine will show up... kit status changed from "ready to ship" to "pending" though. Seems like if everything was good to go it should have gone to "shipped", so Houston, we might have a problem. Also no shipping notice yet going on 2 days after the eBay purchase which is a bit behind the curve there. Seller has only like 12 feedback which makes me a bit nervous too. Paypal will iron it out if needed but hopefully the selller will come through soon.

On the other hand, I scored a good looking Tee Dee .09 that ought to be here by the weekend and I've been perusing plans at Outerzone. Actually I sort of have my eye on the Super Sportster 20. I could have a plan printed out scaled to about a 38"-40" wingspan and be building by this weekend if my P51 kit doesn't pan out.

The New Era III just needs a clear coat of butyrate and will be ready to go next week. So unless she has a disasterous maiden flight, I'll definitely bring that one to SMALL along with whatever new plane I can throw together
If you scroll down the page on this forum you will see that I am building a super sportster 20 scaled down to 75%. I have a TD .09 that I am putting on mine too. It was an easy build and turned into a rock solid airframe. I just need to cover it now and install the radio. Mustang or no mustang, I would highly recommend building the super sportster if you have a mind too. It would be cool for there to be a couple of these built and flying just to compare notes!

Mike
Mar 28, 2017, 03:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmwahl
If you scroll down the page on this forum you will see that I am building a super sportster 20 scaled down to 75%. I have a TD .09 that I am putting on mine too. It was an easy build and turned into a rock solid airframe. I just need to cover it now and install the radio. Mustang or no mustang, I would highly recommend building the super sportster if you have a mind too. It would be cool for there to be a couple of these built and flying just to compare notes!

Mike
Ok Mike, that sounds pretty great to me. I already have the plan downloaded and it looks like a pretty straightforward build. I'm eager to dive in! I'll check out your build thread and will try to put together some sort of brother from another mother to your plane I suppose .
If the P51 shows up I can always hang onto it for later anyway. Same for the Norvel engine. I actually have a tracking number on the TeeDee and it's just across town so I can count on that one at least.
Mar 28, 2017, 11:17 PM
Thread OP
Already got my refund on the P51 kit, guess my hunch was right! Also I got the Super Sportster plan printed and it's not really grabbing me. So I agonized most of the evening over what else to build (I'm not the only one who does that, am I??) and mostly firmly decided on the Bokkie MK II. It's very similar to the Super Sportster but a just a touch sleeker and has a tapered wing that I like a lot. Hopefully l'll still like that one after it's printed

Anyone care to suggest what wingspan to scale it to? The original was published in 1990 (Both planes were) and specs show a 45" span and weight of 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 pounds. I don't know how radio gear in 1990 compared to today's stuff but I'm guessing I'll have a significant weight savings there. In the article, Mr Irvine mentions that his plane flew well at 2-3/4 lbs with a K&B Sportster (<--there's that word again!) .20 engine. I'm guessing that the TeeDee .09 with a throttle collar should be happy with this plane at about 39" span but if that's not a good guess I'd sure like to know before I print the plan!

Here's a link for the RCM article in case you're not familiar with the Bokkie and want to have a look... http://pulling-gz.blogspot.com/2012/...ries_5009.html
Mar 28, 2017, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWade
Already got my refund on the P51 kit, guess my hunch was right! Also I got the Super Sportster plan printed and it's not really grabbing me. So I agonized most of the evening over what else to build (I'm not the only one who does that, am I??) and mostly firmly decided on the Bokkie MK II. It's very similar to the Super Sportster but a just a touch sleeker and has a tapered wing that I like a lot. Hopefully l'll still like that one after it's printed

Anyone care to suggest what wingspan to scale it to? The original was published in 1990 (Both planes were) and specs show a 45" span and weight of 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 pounds. I don't know how radio gear in 1990 compared to today's stuff but I'm guessing I'll have a significant weight savings there. In the article, Mr Irvine mentions that his plane flew well at 2-3/4 lbs with a K&B Sportster (<--there's that word again!) .20 engine. I'm guessing that the TeeDee .09 with a throttle collar should be happy with this plane at about 39" span but if that's not a good guess I'd sure like to know before I print the plan!

Here's a link for the RCM article in case you're not familiar with the Bokkie and want to have a look... http://pulling-gz.blogspot.com/2012/...ries_5009.html
Sweet plane. If it were me and I were scaling it for an .09 I would go with 85% scale and end up with a 38" span with 188 sq in wing area. Keep it to 20 ounces or less and it should be a really fun sport plane.

Too bad about the mustang. Paint invasion stripes and stars and bars on that bokkie and if you squint just right it may pass itself off as something similar!

Mike
Mar 29, 2017, 07:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmwahl
Sweet plane. If it were me and I were scaling it for an .09 I would go with 85% scale and end up with a 38" span with 188 sq in wing area. Keep it to 20 ounces or less and it should be a really fun sport plane.

Too bad about the mustang. Paint invasion stripes and stars and bars on that bokkie and if you squint just right it may pass itself off as something similar!

Mike
Sounds like a good plan. Pass on the invasion stripes though. I'll save those for the P51 that I will eventually build one way or another. I'm seriously thinking about doing the tiger stripes like the one in the article. Seems I have kind of a thing for sticking with the old original paint schemes. I did my New Era III pretty close to the original as well. Looked too cool for me to not do it!

Mar 29, 2017, 04:01 PM
Nitro User
Neat I flew a .20 size New Era back in late 80's good stable
grooving plane. Had a canopy and pilot figure.
Mar 29, 2017, 10:57 PM
EB-66C Team Member
TWade- IMHO, SMALL is the BEST model aviation event in the country. Lots of characters, lots of cool models...and lots of fun!

Looking forward to meeting you at the event.
Mar 29, 2017, 11:11 PM
Yep. Get to SMALL. Fly your planes. Find yourself.
Mar 29, 2017, 11:34 PM
Thread OP
Awesome guys, thanks. I got my Bokkie printed out and have started going through my stuff. Looks like I only need to buy a couple sheets of balsa, one roll of monokote and some misc hardware stuff to make it happen. And some servos. Think I'll treat myself to a set of Hitec HS-65HB's for this plane.

Definitely looking forward to going to SMALL this year =)
Mar 29, 2017, 11:46 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Here's one of my many favorite videos by Tee Bee and his son Nick....inspirational viewing! Just two months away!
SMALL 2015 (10 min 8 sec)
Last edited by xplaneguy; Mar 30, 2017 at 12:46 AM.

Quick Reply