Mar 27, 2017, 06:19 PM
If it flies I like it.
Thread OP
Discussion

RBC Kits F9F Cougar

Has anyone built the RBC Kits F9F Cougar? It is a perfect size for me, using a 90mm EDF unit. Just wondering what the RTF weight is with a 6S 5000 mah LiPo; what retracts folks are using; how hard is it to build; how well does it fly? Any USA dealers that have the kit?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2017, 05:28 AM
I guess you will have to wait.
The first kits are in delivery . So I think you will not get an answer yet

Mine is also on the way

Toby
Mar 29, 2017, 10:28 AM
If it flies I like it.
Thread OP
I didn't realize the kits weren't out yet. Maybe you can do a build log on yours so we can all see how it goes together! I imagine the shipping cost to get a kit sent to the USA is probably a lot. I like the size - it will just barely fit through the hatch on my Honda Fit. I wonder how much it will weight when completed with retracts?
Mar 29, 2017, 10:40 AM
Pro Hoarder
The prices at RBC are very good. I was looking at a few of the kits .Shipping wasnt bad at all. Send them an email and they will answer very fast
Latest blog entry: In flight
Mar 29, 2017, 11:07 AM
If it flies I like it.
Thread OP
I'm a fan of Korean War era jets (I was born in 1952) and really like the F9F Cougar. I like the SkyEMaster 61" span ARF, but by the time one gets the LG, power system, and radio in it you are looking at almost $3K invested. That's just too much for my modeling budget. No one makes a good 80 - 90mm Cougar as far as I know (mixed reports on the RC Lander 70mm and the HK 90mm), so the RBC kit looks like the only alternative. Granted, it would end up costing a lot more than something like a Freewing EPO foamy, but still way less than the big 61" SkyEMaster Cougar.
Apr 02, 2017, 02:57 PM
Big gov never Works
This kit would make for a great high power 68mm EVO. Kept light and no gear. bungee. I did this with the Panther. It came in at 4# vs 6-7# for the 90mm system.

Fuzz
Apr 02, 2017, 08:02 PM
If it flies I like it.
Thread OP
Yep, saves weight for sure. Been there; done that with the RBC F4D Skyray, and Jepe Pyranha. Got tired of setting up the bungee and not being able to do touch and goes. Want retracts this time around.
Apr 03, 2017, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotdogX
No one makes a good 80 - 90mm Cougar as far as I know (mixed reports on the RC Lander 70mm and the HK 90mm), so the RBC kit looks like the only alternative. Granted, it would end up costing a lot more than something like a Freewing EPO foamy, but still way less than the big 61" SkyEMaster Cougar.
Jet Hanger Hobbies has a kit, which is slightly larger with a 47" wingspan It's been flown with a 90mm Midifan. Obviously more expensive than the RBC kit, but you're getting a fiberglass fuselage and full ducting.

http://www.jethangar.com/Aircraft/Cougar/F9F8.html
Apr 03, 2017, 11:33 AM
If it flies I like it.
Thread OP
RGBvr,

I am familiar with the JHH Cougar. I also gets expensive by the time you get the retracts and all the rest of the components needed. And of course you do have to build it. I'm hoping Freewing will come out with an 80mm Cougar one of these days.
Aug 05, 2017, 06:54 AM

Building

I started to build one, slow Progress as it is summer....
As I continue I will post from time to time and share my experience.

As far as I am now, shown in the Image (2 wings partly), I found the following:
everything ok, except:
the rear wing spar AF1 is a Little to small, its height does not match height of the ribs, it has to be filled up, not much, max 1mm
the retract plates RF1: each is two 3mm plywood pieces, glued together to 6mm, but the Wood is relatively soft, so I made one of These of hard 3mm plywood and glued to one of the softer parts of the kit
Aug 06, 2017, 05:21 AM
2024 EDF Jet Jam, June 6-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotdogX
Has anyone built the RBC Kits F9F Cougar? It is a perfect size for me, using a 90mm EDF unit. Just wondering what the RTF weight is with a 6S 5000 mah LiPo; what retracts folks are using; how hard is it to build; how well does it fly? Any USA dealers that have the kit?
http://shop.rc-electric-jets.com/RBC...F9F5ZCCM55.htm
Aug 15, 2017, 04:14 PM
Just received one of these...finished marking all the parts and cutting them out. Looks a little daunting from all the pics and instructions. I'll probably do a build thread once I actually get going on it, got a couple other projects nearing completion on the build table.
I'm definitely going to need some help in specing landing gear, fan, and other stuff not included in the kit.
Aug 16, 2017, 11:47 AM
Looks like I swooped up the last one at FJU. They are showing out of stock. (Back in Stock)

all parts labeled, cut, bagged and ready to build!
Last edited by Sethorus; Aug 18, 2017 at 04:38 PM.
Aug 30, 2017, 10:14 AM
Can anyone point me to some decent affordable retracts. I bought the ones from HK they used in the manual but the nose gear failed after 5 cycles and was missing the grub screw, absolute junk but for 30 bucks I should have known. Would love to use Oleos if possible but am OK with coil springs, already have the 5/32-4mm ones from Dubro.
Specs are:
front wheel: 50mm
front gear length: 120mm
rear wheel: 62-65mm
rear gear length: 77mm
Aug 30, 2017, 10:48 AM
Pro Hoarder
Eflite!
Latest blog entry: In flight

Quick Reply