Gladius Ultra HD 4K Underwater Drone - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Gladius Ultra HD 4K Underwater Drone

Gladius is one cool FPV submarine. It's designed for flying through the water like an airplane and it has a 4K camera for recording video and taking photos. It's controlled via a special controller that uses your smartphone and an app to see the live video feed.

Splash

4K Remote Video Submersible Drone

Gladius is one cool FPV submarine. It's designed for flying through the water like an airplane and it has a 4K camera for recording video and taking photos. It's controlled via a special controller that uses your smartphone and an app to see the live video feed. This looks like an absolute blast to drive and will be useful for much more than just as a hobbyist activity.

The camera system on board has the ability to shoot 1080P or 4K video and can take 16MP still images. It features low light sensors and employs custom image quality algorithms to ensure great looking images under the water. There are two 1200 Lumen LED lights on the front as well to help light up the scene. The Gladius is tethered to a wifi buoy with a standard length of 30M, but can be upgraded to 100M. The buoy floats on the surface and transmits the live video feed in 720P HD to your smartphone up to a distance of 500M away.

Gladius can fly through the water with grace at up to 4 knots with precise control and extreme maneuverability. It utilizes 4 independent thrusters to allow propulsion in any direction and it has two built in batteries that provide 3-4 hours of runtime. The small size of the unit makes it very portable and easy to travel with. It only weighs 6.6lbs and is easily packed up into an optional travel case. Controlling the unit is done from a cool looking slide out remote unit that houses your phone. It looks a lot like the Nintendo Switch and makes controlling the drone a cinch for anyone.

The Gladius underwater drone is an indiegogo project that started out with a funding goal of $30,000, which they quickly achieved. They are currently well over the funding goal at nearly $78,000 raised with 25 days left. There are several purchase options and you can get the base unit at just $599. This looks like it will be one of the coolest and most affordable underwater drones on the market. Backers can expect to start receiving units in just a few months in June of 2017.

Check out the Gladius Ultra HD 4K Underwater Drone Here.

Mar 27, 2017, 12:11 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Its tethered (which ok), and the cell phone needs a sun-hood?
other then that, its a start:-)

your gonna be SOL if that cable tangles on reefs or seaweed of some sorts....lol
Last edited by rclab1; Mar 27, 2017 at 01:59 PM.
Mar 27, 2017, 12:22 PM
It has to be tethered, you couldnt afford a control system that is made for underwater remote control.
Mar 27, 2017, 12:55 PM
RCG Admin
Sort of tethered. Just tethered to the wifi buoy floating on the surface. You can be up to 500M away from that with your phone and controller if I'm understanding that correctly.
Mar 27, 2017, 01:43 PM
Every underwater remotely controlled vehicle I have ever seen on TV was tethered to the boat.

This thing is cool.
Mar 27, 2017, 01:46 PM
That bouey can be further away (more RC Link range) if they didnt use wifi,
but I guess they had to for 'consumer' market.

If they have a option normal RC control with that bouey-----> RC Tx,
then I'd be on it. Hope it happens.
Its pretty cool that that it broadcasts 720p quality feed to viewing monitor
Mar 27, 2017, 01:46 PM
any chance this comes with attachments such as a robotic arm? i'd hate to hack it and add a robotic arm from a Radio Shack Armatron toy. Other than that, this is just a novelty. I could use one with a robotic arm to pick up stuff off the bottom of my local pond, such as a cover to one of my RC boats that sank last week. It would be better if it could use a regular RC transmitter too. using the "smart phone device attachments" looks stupid
Mar 27, 2017, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingone
any chance this comes with attachments such as a robotic arm? i'd hate to hack it and add a robotic arm from a Radio Shack Armatron toy. Other than that, this is just a novelty. I could use one with a robotic arm to pick up stuff off the bottom of my local pond, such as a cover to one of my RC boats that sank last week. It would be better if it could use a regular RC transmitter too. using the "smart phone device attachments" looks stupid
I agree, but it follows the DJI mavic mantra.
I could never FPV using my 1 year old cell phone
Tablet may do though

p.s.
hope the Controller has a HDMI out, to attach HeadPlay/FS goggles....

Tutorial Video of Gladius (3 min 9 sec)
Last edited by rclab1; Mar 27, 2017 at 01:58 PM.
Mar 27, 2017, 04:39 PM
Submarines, etc.
in all honesty, this thing really needs to be moved to the ROV section, its not really an r/c submarine....
Mar 27, 2017, 05:22 PM
Novice Flying Machine Mechanic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingone
It could be more than just a novelty.
The same way small aicraft can be used for real work this could be used for search and inspection, just off the top of my head.
Mar 27, 2017, 08:00 PM

Price

What is the price of this?
Mar 27, 2017, 09:14 PM
3Dog Modeling
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongler
What is the price of this?
It states above "$599" on Kickstarter.
Mar 27, 2017, 09:15 PM
3Dog Modeling
so a couple of things...

How do boats see it so they don't plow over the wifi bouy? That thing is flat on the water!

What are the rules about being around swimmers? they could easily get tangled in the cord as could divers...

Will be interesting to see where this lands.
Mar 28, 2017, 06:33 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Quote:
so a couple of things...

How do boats see it so they don't plow over the wifi bouy? That thing is flat on the water!

What are the rules about being around swimmers? they could easily get tangled in the cord as could divers...

Will be interesting to see where this lands.
I would think the simple answers are "don't use it where it might get run over by a boat", and "don't use it where it might entangle a swimmer", but I suffer from a debilitating condition called common sense.
Mar 28, 2017, 12:07 PM
3Dog Modeling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece
I would think the simple answers are "don't use it where it might get run over by a boat", and "don't use it where it might entangle a swimmer", but I suffer from a debilitating condition called common sense.
ROFL!! So do I but my concern is for those that seem to lack it and continually affect the lives of those with it!