My RC autogyro prototype - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 18, 2017, 08:36 PM

Making hinges..

Anyone familiar with flight test build videos will understand this process, for newbies not familiar with dollar tree foam board, mark a line where you want the surface to hinge. Cut through the first layer of paper and foam careful not to cut into last layer of paper. Laying the stabilizer on a flat surface carefully flex the control surface over. Take your razor and cut a 45 degree bevel in the foam. Run a bead of hot glue into the joint and wipe away the excess glue.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2017, 08:28 PM
If there is enough interest I I can Scan the dimensions of each part, I made an exact replicate or drawing of every part. Unfortunately I am not computer savvy enough to make downloadable plans. two chippy 2.0's on the board along with plenty of spare parts , a little detail of my servo access cover.
Apr 20, 2017, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaron_RC
If there is enough interest I I can Scan the dimensions of each part, I made an exact replicate or drawing of every part. Unfortunately I am not computer savvy enough to make downloadable plans.
I am sure that there is enough interest! As far as downloadable plans, someone will help you.

Gene
Apr 21, 2017, 08:39 PM

A little color

A couple sharpies for color. Windshield is made from a drink bottle. A little detail of the rotor head.
Apr 21, 2017, 09:09 PM
In case anyone is wondering why I called the model chippy, its cause when the blades are loaded in a bank It sounds like a wood chipper running.

Phoenix Rotorcraft rotor blades, test flight on Dominator gyroplane, North Carolina (7 min 26 sec)
Apr 22, 2017, 09:07 PM

installing the guts in chippy

Using a turnigy park300 for power with a 3s 800mah flourein battery, turnigy 10amp esc, cheap $20 spektrum rx, and some three dollar nine grams servos. I found a cheaper motor from hobby king that should be the same weight but have more power.
Apr 22, 2017, 09:23 PM

flight stabilizer

This is the flight Stabilizer I will be experimenting with "shipped from china "It should install right behind the battery and get beginners hooked without being to hard to fly.

Hobby Eagle A3 6 Axis Gyro Introduction and Setup (20 min 23 sec)
Apr 24, 2017, 09:01 PM

Free rc Autogyro for a willing person

My only requirement is your a fixed wing or heli pilot looking into getting into rc autogyros or you fly autogyros currently, located in the US, frequent this part of the forum alot and are willing to assemble and a do a video review or just a flight showing how good or bad my model flies. All speculation for now but forward your resumes. I will be releasing free plans in the future.
Apr 25, 2017, 08:40 PM
Working on a set of 16" blades the original ones were 12.5". This is to hopefully make for a slower model so the beginner can easily keep up with the model. Still waiting on gear to finish these three models, one is mine the other is my copilots and the third is a spare.
Apr 29, 2017, 09:03 PM

Chippy flys great!

The final version is now complete and it seems to fly more stable than the last one when I go hands off the controls. There is one odd behavior I have found when in a full power climb going slowly the model will gradually keep pitching up till it flips over unless you intervene with forward input, not really a big deal when down low but up high this could become a problem to the newbie with flight stabilization disabled.

The rotor hub is now much easier to build with just 4 bolt holes and 3 straight cuts to form a equilateral triangle. For anyone who has never used a protractor I suggest you get one and learn to use it, If you want to build from scratch.

New hobby king 1400kv one ounce motor seems to provide plenty of thrust with a 9x4.5 prop but does seem to get unusually warm "overpropped?" It was dirt cheap at $10 so its worth a test.
Apr 30, 2017, 10:22 AM
It's all in the Blades!
Sounds like you need more down thrust Red Baron
Apr 30, 2017, 10:14 PM
Thanks mate, your right the vertical cg is much to high with my tall mast. I tested the bigger beginner blades with 10 degress of tilt and my model tried to do a loop and the blades stopped turning, lawn dart with a crumpled fuselage. My theory is the extra lift exceeded the elevator power and the mast angle should be reduced when using high lift blades. An elevator on a rc autogyro seems like blasphemy sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings
Sounds like you need more down thrust Red Baron
May 02, 2017, 08:46 PM
Dont even bother with this https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx...n-control.html Even with the gains turned up to the max It wouldn't even self correct in Gusty conditions. Can't wait to try out the hobby eagle a3 with autolevel. btw why is hobbyking celebrating communism with that may day banner!
May 03, 2017, 10:07 PM

How electronic stabilization will help a newbie

I hope my deep south accent isn't too off turning.

Electronic flight stabilization demo (1 min 29 sec)
May 05, 2017, 09:25 PM
Haven't been able to do much flight testing between the rain and gusty conditions but so far it performs like the way I hoped. Steer your self around the sky with the rudder and use the throttle for altitude control. There is no bank limits so its not idiot proof. I think adding electronic stabilization can be a big benefit to advanced pilots when testing a out of trim model.

Break away landing gear held on with rubber bands. "This always seems to be the first thing to break off or bend"

Will try to get some video video tomorrow.