Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 10, 2017, 08:48 PM

compiling a parts list for the budget minded

I'm trying to come up with a list of everything you will need to build my model minus power plant and other electrical gear. I used the gws gearbox just because I had two on hand. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/power-sy...x-eps-c20.html I couldn't find the gearbox alone and 15 bucks is kinda steep for a newbie I think. If you can use the brushless motor to power the model I may be on to something.

So far this is what I have come up with on my parts list, keep in mind this is stuff you can find at walmart and dollar tree. I'm still adding to the list so this post might get edited.

3/8x3/8x10" spruce 2 pieces "any light weight softwood can be used except balsa"

gws gearbox

1 sheet dollar tree foam

1 coat hanger

2 Popsicle sticks

hot glue gun/glue sticks

Thick tupperware lid "needs to be flat without and warping

Velcro to attach your battery

bamboo skewers

packing tape

I sketched out the dimensions and angles of the pod for my own use but if it helps your free to use it.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2017, 10:48 AM
Hi RedBaron,

After reading about your testing/flying/rebuilding/test flying adventures, I thought of something I did when I was doing the same things with a new gyro design that may help you: I replaced the landing gear with a carbon arrow shaft purchased at Walmart for $4. I put it in the location LG normally goes. It is horizontal and perpendicular to the fuselage. I painted the tips red for visibility and then all testing was done with hand-launch takeoffs.

This prevented tip-overs on landing as well as help with orientation in the air. It saved me lots of repair work. When the bugs were out, it came off and regular LG put back.

Cheers,

Russ
Apr 11, 2017, 08:42 PM
Thats a good idea russ thanks mate. I think I got the bugs worked out for me but It might be different when I hand the controller to someone else.
The Landing gear stance needs to be widened a bit and I thought of painting the wheels different colors for orientation.

Here's an alternative to the gws gearbox rotor head if you have access to a drill press. bearings and bolts salvaged from fixed pitch helis.
Apr 11, 2017, 09:04 PM
If there is enough demand, I have dabbled in the idea of turning this into a kit, bind and fly, or kit version I'm not sure
Apr 11, 2017, 10:02 PM
kits will go for $ 100 BNF version will go for $200, stop making china great again?
Apr 12, 2017, 09:02 PM

making your own foam blades

this is how I do it without a hotwire cutter. First step cut your blanks out to the correct size, mine are 12.5 " x 1 7/8" wide. Take the paper off both sides, for some reason its comes off easier on one side. The side that is roughed up the most will be the top side. hot glue your bamboo skewer to the leading edge , tacking it in place in a few spots will be fine, the packing tape is what will hold permanently in a later step. careful not to add to much glue that will make sanding harder later on. Do the same for the tip weight. I used a section of 1.5" clothes hangar wire. Now mark a line 3/4" back from the trailing edge on both sides of the top of the blade and use a straight edge to draw a line, this will be your sanding line. with a razor blade carefully cut away some of the trailing edge careful not to go past the line you just drew and not to cut away to much of the tip of the trailing edge. For now your on your own on finding the correct blade holders. Not all tupperware lids are made the same. . you will know you got the right stuff when It seems brittle when you try to cut it with scissors "which is why you shouldn't use scissors to cut it" and it should be around 1/16" thick. A sliver of bamboo skewer glued to the back edge of the blade holder seems to give just enough negative for easy spin up without too much lift lost.

Although it seems like a lot of work after these are covered with packing tape they are surprisingly durable. maybe tomorrow I will show you the finishing process.
Apr 12, 2017, 09:35 PM

squirrel moment

this just warms my heart!

Helicopter Fishing (4 min 53 sec)
Apr 13, 2017, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBaron_RC
this is how I do it without a hotwire cutter. ,,,
Very nice. Thank you!
Apr 13, 2017, 08:00 PM

finishing the blades with tape

To finish the blades you need 2 inch wide packing tape, start at the rear top with the first piece of tape carefully working the tape around the trailing edge and to the bottom. Strive for no wrinkles, the more wrinkles you get the worse the performance will be. Take the second piece of tape and slightly overlap the top piece of tape working it down the leading edge and under the bottom. Their may be a gap between the tape at the bottom that is fine.

To balance your blades find the spanwise cog by marking the point where the blade will balance on a pencil, this is the point where you will add more tape for balance if you need it. My scale didn't measure any weight difference so I left it alone. My blades weigh a little over 7 grams a piece.

Bolted up the new set of blades this evening for a quick test to make sure all my work paid off, These new blades have less tip weight and they are really sporty, you can now do barrel rolls on command , Sorry I didn't film any video with the new blades. I put them aside for a spare until I wear out the originals. Trying to come up with a new name for my autogyro, thought of calling it Chippy. Anyone thinking of getting started in rc autgyros stop thinking and just do it, you don't know the fun your missing.
Apr 13, 2017, 08:21 PM

Chippy the little autogyro that could...

Another flying session this time in completely calm conditions, towards the end of the video I explore the slow flight envelope. Remember gyros don't stall.

My scratch built autogyro (9 min 50 sec)
Apr 13, 2017, 08:58 PM

flight times

just an fyi, I am getting 8-9 minute flight times hotdogging it for the camera on a 3s 800mah pack, Leisurely lofting around should give you even better flight times on the setup I am using.
Apr 13, 2017, 09:29 PM
for those intimidated on scratch building pm me for a pre flown kit that is trimmed.
Apr 15, 2017, 09:07 PM

Chippy Version 2.0

I found some areas that needed improvements, Chippy 2.0 now will have a gear that is widened and moved forward to prevent roll overs and nose overs. The mast to fuselage joint finally beefed up to my liking. I noticed today when flying in gusty conditions under high alpha flight I ran out of elevator power and couldn't lower the nose to recover and ended up hitting the ground hard nose down. Elevator size will be increased. Rudder size will be increased for those that like to whippit . less tip weight on the blades for easier handling. The rotor head is now all hand made with a price of just a few bucks for 2 bearings and a couple m3 bolts. I still haven't received my micro connectors "from china" so I could try out my flight stabilizer receiver, this will make it fly like AS3X in horizons planes from what I can gather.
Apr 15, 2017, 10:24 PM
I have carefully studied toms crane fly, " god rest his sole" and Mikey's work, my ultimate goal is to create a parkflyer style autogyro that can be made with common materials, sporty looking easist to fly when it comes to gyros.
Apr 17, 2017, 08:52 PM

Gathering materials

I have been gathering materials so I could make a couple kits. I have found a flight stabilizer that I think will work the way I originally intended. How great would it be to let a newbie steer a autogyro around the sky like a rc car and then later stabilization could be turned off with a switch after the newbie was baited with the hook in his mouth.

I need a little help, if anyone can tell me the size of the bearings in the gws gearbox, you will be an eternal friend.