My RC autogyro prototype - RC Groups
Mar 26, 2017, 09:24 PM
Discussion

My RC autogyro prototype

I just recently got interested in flying rc models again after getting a friend hooked into the hobby. I built a successful but horibbly underpowered rc autogyro about 15 years ago. This is actually my second prototype. I originally tried to fly it with rudder, elevator and throttle control with a small wing with dihedral thinking I could make a trainer so newbies could fly it. prototype number one actually flew but would flip inverted at random times. my guess is the 2 blade rotor is very unstable. So I fitted tilt control, thinking tilt control would solve my problems It was literally the hardest thing I have ever flew, being slightly underpowered and underrotored didn't help either. I built the whole thing out of dollar tree foam board, bamboo skewers, and packing tape. I removed all of the paper from the foamboard to save weight. I am now making it a three blade gyro. If this version flys good I want to make a final version with carbon fiber instead of bamboo skewers.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2017, 10:13 PM
flying the gyrobee gyroplane (5 min 10 sec)

not to brag but I fly full scale too.
Mar 27, 2017, 09:13 PM
I finished up the 3 blade head and rotors. rotors are dollar tree foam board, bamboo skewers and packing tape. The rotor head is made from a thick tupperware lid. I did a test spinup outside and was shocked how buttery smooth it was. my 2 blade setup must have had a misaligned bolt hole because the whole airframe had a nasty vibration. I increased the rotor diameter over the 2 blade. AUW should be around 8 ounces with 2s 500mah battery. might try a flight tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
Mar 29, 2017, 09:06 PM

Success! sort of.

After doing a little digging into some of mikeys old threads I finally got the thing controllable with tip weights on the rotors. I hand launched it with full power and to my surprise it didn't flip upside down and gently landed in the grass on a straight glide path, filled with glee I gladly ripped the landing gear off and took out the rudder servo to lighten things up. Hand launched it again and the climb rate must have been 25 feet a minute, so I tried a turn and it eat up all of the 15 ft of altitude I had gained and landed on its belly. My prototype fuselage had been hotglued so much it wasn't much of a surprise that the foam was busted up. After that I thought about making it into a cyclic controlled gyro since I had a bunch of old fp heli parts from back in the day but they were either too busted up or were missing links, not even sure if they make the parts anymore. I have started on a new fuselage designed around a small kv motor. will increase the rotor diameter to 34 inches and keep all of my other angles the same. I might make a drawing if there is enough interest after the design is successful.
Mar 29, 2017, 09:42 PM
Flight of the Phoenix Model Airplane Scene (4 min 4 sec)

Mar 30, 2017, 08:51 PM
A little progress on the new fuselage. For the experts, is there any hard and set rules on how much tip weight you should use on blades? I want to increase the blade length to 17" so my assumption was I could use less tip weight because of centrifugal force. Trying to keep things as light as possible.
Mar 31, 2017, 08:18 PM
Got in a short flight on video to show it does fly. The 40 mph winds today and possibly losing orientation didn't help.
Only damage was a slightly loosened mast and the landing gear broke off. Will try again tomorrow in calm winds.

gyro (0 min 15 sec)
Mar 31, 2017, 10:16 PM
My original goal was to create an autogyro that a newbie could fly. that is still my goal. not to brag but I can fly anything rc. If I can't fly it then It need to be remodeled.
Apr 01, 2017, 09:13 PM

Success at last!

I reduced the tip weight on the blades and finally got it controllable, It still handles like a 747 but at least it doesn't flip upside down. . also made a larger diameter rotor hub out of plywood which increased the lift I got, this turned out to be a big benefit because before it flew really fast. The final version will have some beefing up in some areas that are weak, a rudder added, "turns out it does fine without it" for tighter turns. 3s power for nearly unlimited climb rate and electronic stabilization for total beginners.

scratch built rc autogyro (2 min 53 sec)
Apr 03, 2017, 06:45 PM

More Testing....

Did a little more testing and boy does it turn like **** to the right. requires full left stick just to get it back to level or it will turn upside down, not sure if this is normal. Near the end of the video I managed to hang it on the prop for a second just before hitting the ground.

Ready to start on the final version with the same pod and boom setup. Gonna use this as the flight stabilizer. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx...n-control.html

scratch built rc autogyro (4 min 10 sec)
Apr 03, 2017, 08:46 PM
another thing I forgot to mention is in my flight testing so far I haven't managed to destroy a single rotor blade. Foam with an outer layer of something to protect it is surprising forgiving. maybe I'll show how to make foam blades with an airfoil maybe not.
Apr 05, 2017, 08:47 PM

building the final version 2.0 with needed improvements

upgrades and improvements that I thought would be beneficial for newbie pilots. Slightly widened the fuselage for more battery options, Increased the strength of the mast to fuselage joint, 3s 800mah battery now standard, The boom to fuselage joint seemed to break loose on the prototype so that will be beefed up, Increased the motor down thrust, Full 3 axis gyro flight stabilization, and I may beef up the landing gear, it seemed to get ripped off alot in my testing phase.
Apr 05, 2017, 09:15 PM
If everything works out as I think it will the test pilot will be a newbie that flies a horizon hobbies sport cub s. Yo horizon are you paying attention here,
Apr 07, 2017, 08:42 PM

Ready To roll!

She is ready to go. unfortunately I didn't realize the flight stabilizer I ordered uses micro molex connectors until after I ordered it, I"m still not sure if it will auto level like safe mode does on horizon hobbies airplanes. But It just so happens I have a gyro stabilizer in my brain so you will get to see how she performs tomorrow. 3s power and now with a rudder fitted, I have a feeling this gonna fly awesome.
Apr 09, 2017, 08:46 PM
Did some flying over the weekend and I think I got all the bugs worked out. I did change over to a wire landing gear "made from a coat hanger" and I had to change the way I had the battery mounted to get it towards the firewall for pitch stability. I need to make another set of foam blades cause these are beat up pretty bad probally robbing power too. Still not totally convinced this will be a begginer gyro maybe a good second gyro, maybe that will change when I install the flight stabilizer, just waiting on the micro connectors to arrive from china.

When I tried my first takeoff from the ground I wasn't even convinced this thing would take off from the grass without a steerable tailwheel, The narrow landing gear didn't help either. to my surpise its a non event it will still roll over if you try to hog it off "did that"

I did have one surprise when I was flying it in gusty conditions today, after coming out of a spiral dive I noticed the model was pitching wildly and didn't act right, the two nuts holding the spindle shaft had somehow clamped together locking the bearings up only allowing the plywood head to spin on the metal shaft.

rc autogyro (6 min 40 sec)