Official 2017 Team USA F3B Thread & BIG Raffle JULY TICKET DEAL EXTENDED! - Page 10 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by aussief3b, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 10, 2017, 11:00 AM
Usedbombistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling
Round 6 has the drops applied. Penalties can't be dropped.

The tree I landed in after an official missed my base A turn and I had to go back, was thought to be in the ambiguously defined safety area on Monday. On Tuesday, they clarified the safety area and it did not include the tree. Unfortunately it was too late to protest and the CD denied our request to drop the penalty after asking other team managers their opinion. . .
I don't follow why they would ask other team managers at all. They have a vested interest in the penalty remaining in place. The jury is supposed to be the only deciding group for protests. I don't understand how the CD can enforce a penalty for something that is no longer a penalty. That's not being consistent in applying the rules for all competitors.
Last edited by Doug Cronkhite; Aug 10, 2017 at 11:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2017, 11:30 AM
F3B and F3K
Results for today, including round 7 duration and distance.
Tom and I both fared comparatively okay against one of the Herrigs in each distance group.
Speed of round 7 starts tomorrow at 8am, I am up as 5th starter. Hoping for some wind, as the thermal motor kicks in about an hour later.

Reto
Aug 10, 2017, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
I don't follow why they would ask other team managers at all. They have a vested interest in the penalty remaining in place. . .
That is exactly what Glauco told him. . .
The jury wasn't involved (directly) because we were/are under the impression it was too late to file a protest. . .
Aug 10, 2017, 11:54 AM
Team JR Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetoF3X
To your questions:

@ Doug: We rather think that the helpers look askew over the lines in this direction. Some do not bother to reseat themselves and look over their shoulder.
Are you kidding? At a WC??

Tom
Aug 10, 2017, 01:23 PM
F3B and F3K
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson
Are you kidding? At a WC??

Tom
We found out that one direction was pretty accurate ( the one I referred to as the Valley), the other one had a noticeable variability in the beeping. It was not always bad, so it was not the sight itself. As Tom mentioned, we took this into tactical consideration when flying on this side of the course. The other side (the valley) was problem free to very far distances in our experience.

I would not take it as an excuse for our distance performance, but especially in some of Tom's runs it played a factor.

Recap of Mike and Tom's distance flight in round 6:

Mike had Joe Wurts and Bernard Flixeder (the current leader) in his group. We launched first when there was indication of lift and Joe tried to join too, but his launch was bad. Mike went on alone to start laps downwind. It looked decent and we sticked with it.

Bernard and Joe launched upwind, for a while did not look good, but then got better air. It was for a long time unclear how it would shake out, and there was not enough time for either one to relaunch. In the end Mike got 19, and Bernard and Joe tied for 23. Joe had a bit more altitude at the end and made lap 24, however he ran out of time. This was crucial for Bernard to keep the lead.

In Tom's run, he had Martin Herrig and John Skinner in his group. Tom launched early, took some air downwind, but we found it was not good enough to win. We came down to relaunch and saw that Martin was doing well far upwind. Tom launched with little left to the 4min mark and we had to enter the course where he ended up with his zoom, which was not far enough upwind. He found a good lift band, but he was lower than Martin. Tom flew a faster pace and let his plane rip, the turns came fine at both ends and he flew very efficient.
He got 22 laps to Martin's 24. We think that relaunching a bit earlier could have helped, especially putting him on course where we wanted him to start.

Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Aug 10, 2017 at 02:47 PM.
Aug 10, 2017, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys. Stick to your guns
Aug 10, 2017, 07:24 PM
Team USA F3F Member
Awesome dudes!!! Keep going!!!

Unfortunate about the safety thing. That really hurts. I'm sure you've already tried to figure out a way to protest it...

Sounds like really tough conditions for everyone!

Thanks for the updates Reto, and the videos Gordon!

t
Aug 10, 2017, 08:36 PM
Hey dudes keep pushing! Thanks for the updates. We are watching and with you!
Aug 11, 2017, 01:42 AM
F3B and F3K

Distance grannie -finally

Good morning Guys

Right on Kyle, we fight till the last flight!

I was up fifth in the early morning speed that started at 8am, cloudy, just a slight crosswind. I got a good launch for the weak conditions and flew a tight 15.9s run. Mike followed later with a smooth run, a bit long on the first B, but the second one was dead on, a 16.7s. We put some time on guys directly ahead of us, so far so good.

Best time was a 15.38s by Jürgen. It has been quite even condition during this morning speed round, the fairest for speed of the whole WC so far.

We started the last round, Mike and I scored grannies in duration (10:00 and 100). Tom was up first in distance and loaded heavy, since there was strong crosswind. He got on course last, and was not the highest, but the fastest. The air was not great and Tom was down early, whereas Tim Kullack kept the altitude to finish 2laps ahead of Tom.

I took note and loaded light. Launch was great and I kept it above the rest. We let it rip, but kept height to be in a position to finish the four minutes even in crap air. I won the group one lap ahead with 21 laps.

With that, we have a full set, Tom got a 1000 in speed, we all got 1000s in duration and finally in the last round also a distance 1000.

We finally also figured out how to fly distance here in marginal conditions ( low lap count). In most cases, you have to start slow and keep altitude, so that you have more options ( either good air coming or survive crap). This is in opposite to what I am used, you normally loose if you fly sluggish at the start ( you cannot catch up the laps you did not fly). We always took the fast pace and where then unable to react to changes at the end.

Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Aug 11, 2017 at 03:00 PM.
Aug 11, 2017, 07:58 AM
Rock on, we are watching!
Aug 11, 2017, 11:00 AM
F3B and F3K
Okay, worlds is over, Bernhard Flixeder is world champion, Andreas Herrig second and Johannes Kirschke third.
Preliminary results are here:

http://lomcovak.cz/wp_cze/wp-content...17-Jesenik.pdf

The last inverse speed round was flown in mostly dead air, with occasional thermals. We did not get any and we settled on 17s in slightly schmuck air.

The race for the top saw similarly crap air. Krischke beat Andreas Boehlen with a 16.32s ( Böhlen got a 16.92) and moved to third place. Böhlen had only a lead of 4 points on Krischke, so he would have had to match the 16.32s to stay on the podium.
Andreas Herrig flew a 16.18s, then Bernard a 17.13s, which was enough to win.

Not the exciting fast runs we were hoping for, but nevertheless a nail biter.

Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Aug 11, 2017 at 02:59 PM.
Aug 11, 2017, 11:44 AM
Thanks Reto for keeping us up to date. I really enjoyed your reports.
Congrats to you all!
Enjoy the final dinner and I wish you all a safe trip home.
Maarten
Aug 11, 2017, 04:18 PM
Thanks Reto, Gordon, and all for sharing the B WC with us all. Congratulations to the US team. You guys are awesome.
Aug 11, 2017, 05:13 PM
I'm your huckleberry
Great Job USA Team!!

Bob
Aug 11, 2017, 05:24 PM
Panda Panda Panda Panda Panda
You guys are all aces in my book. Hats off to you all for keeping your heads up, sharing the stories here, and representing us well.

Ryan