View Poll Results: Would you buy a set of tiny/micro gates like this?
Yes, definitely. More time in the air. 0 0%
No, I'd just build 'em myself. 1 50.00%
Maybe, if they had flag/mesh instead of foam. 1 50.00%
What was the question? (don't care, don't need 'em) 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Mar 24, 2017, 10:08 PM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

NEW 2017 MultiGP Micro & Tiny Whoop classes (DIY practice/race gates less than $80)

Many already know but...
MultiGP announced 2 new quad racing classes for 2017, the Micro and TinyWhoop classes!!

I have a Tiny Whoop and an Eachine Aurora 90, it just so happens MultiGP announced two classes that each of these quads qualify for, so...

Details of new classes are at http://www.multigp.com/page/FPV-racing-classes
3S/4S Class gates are 60" x 60"
Micro Class gates are 30" x 30"
Tiny Whoop class gates are 19" x 19"
This works out to roughly:
1/2 size for Micro
1/3 size for Tiny Whoop
So you can adjust the UTT course lengths, gate sizes, and practice!! (at least that's what I thought)

I thought 1/2" PVC would make light, durable gates able to break down and fit in a bag, they sell all the necessary PVC parts everywhere, plus they sell foam insulation made to fit.

Tees can make feet for concrete and indoors, which can be taken off at the field and slid over 3/8" Outside Diameter rebar, steel or aluminum tube with one end pinched flat, or something similar pounded into the ground.

I also thought that 1/2" Couplers would allow me to extend 19" gates to 30", covering the Micro Class as well, so I went to Home Depot.

I ended up putting end caps on the feet tubes so they did not wobble from the Tee connector in the middle, very stable on hard ground.

All the UTT tracks use 5 gates, most races have 5 gates or more plus some flags to make the flight path interesting, so I thought 5 gates and UTT track practice first, figure out the rest later.

I cut up PVC and built the 5 of the 19x19 gates first, cut foam 1/2" pipe insulation to fit, then created the extensions to make them 30x30 and cut more foam for the extensions. Done and done.

I used foam pipe insulation made to fit the PVC, so the lengths I list below are adjusted and tested so that the opening is exactly 19" tall and wide.

19x19 gates:
Each gate used two 1/2" Tees and two 1/2" Elbows.
The sides were 18", the top was 19", the feet were the leftover 5" and 6" pieces.
(I bought 24" lengths of 1/2" CPVC because it was easier to carry and put in the car)
30x30 gate extensions:
Then I cut the extensions to make sure the gates were 30" inside opening for Micro class.
This required two 11" pipes for the sides, and one 12" pipe for the top.
Each gate used three 1/2" Couplers.
I left the foam off the extensions in the photo to make them easier to see.
--
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply