Mar 23, 2017, 06:43 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Stinson SM-2

I was working on another project and got a little frustrated with it, it was a bi-plane and the struts were driving me nuts. I put the project away for awhile and started two other projects. While I am ready to start back up with the bi-plane I want to try to finish this project first.

I remember buying the November '83 issue of MAN just for the Stinson article. I bought the plans and never started. While I was perusing an r/c plans web site the W.R. Stroman Stinson plans popped up. I had to order them again but this time I set a goal to finish this plane.

The plane was designed as an electric motor F/F plane. I think with today's electronics it will be perfect for R/C.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2017, 10:26 PM
As they say, a picture sells. I've looked at that model countless times on outerzone. Would be a really nice vintage subject to build. I have a 3" set of spoked wheels that I built some years ago also, that would be perfect for model.
http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2624
Mar 24, 2017, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
The more I look at it, the more I think it is a cool looking plane. I think the 3" wheels would work
The plan calls for 2.25". You could also enlarge the plans to about 54" for the 3" wheels. At that size you could add a lot of cockpit detail.
I don't have a lot of pictures of the main part of the build-its all pretty basic. The inside of the cabin calls for card stock for the walls. I used gray as the outside will be black and silver.
The ribs were laser cut, thankfully since there are a lot of them. The two holes in the ribs that get attached to the fuselage are for alignment of the wings. I thought Id use toothpicks but the holes are to small. I'll adjust them when the wings are built.
Mar 24, 2017, 05:34 PM
Thread OP
Two pictures of the mostly completed landing gear. The spring section will be added later to make covering easier. This part of the project took hours and I had to start over multiple times.
I was almost done and had one more to do when my wife said why don't you anneal those first.
It will make bending a lot easier. What! I had no idea all these years I could have annealed the wire first to aid in bending. I heated up the wire where I wanted to bend it for about 5 seconds, cooled it off and (WOW) the wire bent much easier.
I had to change the length of the wire coming out of the wing rib by about 8-10 mm (sorry for the mm) so that everything aligned.
So, right now I am very happy with the landing gear. It's not perfect but pretty close.
Mar 24, 2017, 06:04 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Nice tidy build.....moving along nicely.
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Mar 24, 2017, 09:51 PM
Looks nice. The strong, scale landing gear structure is a nice benefit also.
I figured the 3" wheels would probably be a bit large for scale, at the plan size. Interesting that when I looked up the subject, I didn't find any photos with uncovered spoked wheels on an SM-2. I would still use them though, as they look perfect on the subject photographed for the article.
More trivia, it looks like someone used this model's scheme for a simulator model:
http://www.avsim.com/pages/0910/GAS/Stinson.html
Last edited by AntiArf; Mar 24, 2017 at 09:58 PM.
Mar 30, 2017, 09:05 PM
Thread OP
Back at it tonight. I looked at that avsim website. Really gives me some ideas for the cockpit. I think some sort or wood paneling would have been nice on the walls. Maybe I can put some on the floor. I looked all over for the 2+" wire rime wheels but can't find any that are good quality. Also I think that for scale looks I should go with the Williams-Brothers wheels.
Mar 30, 2017, 09:11 PM
Thread OP
Finished up the bottom of the fuselage. Left out the 3 stringers that will run the length of the bottom because I have to plan on battery, Rx etc placement first.
Mar 30, 2017, 09:16 PM
Thread OP
Also looking at avsim I noticed that the plans were missing one of the wheel "wires". It goes from the main landing gear strut to the fuselage. You can see it on the first picture. So I had to cut out part of the gear and make a new piece for the left and right side.
Mar 30, 2017, 09:21 PM
Thread OP
Couple of pictures on the gear and I had some WW1 wheels @ 2.5" just to see how they look.
Mar 30, 2017, 09:27 PM
Thread OP
I started thinking about the doors after looking at what a great job Dennis did on his Monocoupe. I really liked the hinges but don't think I can do that on this plane so I'll have to come up with another idea. That got me thinking about the windows. I bought a small router last year ( they are not for sale anymore, unfortunately ) and did some experiments. I liked how they turned out so I moved forward. Lot of work though!
Mar 30, 2017, 09:39 PM
Thread OP
The frame was sanded down and now when I cover the outside the window will be slightly recessed.
Mar 30, 2017, 09:42 PM
Thread OP
Oops, forgot the pictures.
Last edited by Kingfisher24; Mar 30, 2017 at 09:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply