Mar 23, 2017, 10:39 AM
Submarines, etc.
Thread OP
Discussion

Pistol radio

The latest output from the late nights in the workshop..

started out life as a FlySky gt3b... the only parts of that that remain are the main left and right side shell, the steering wheel & pot, the throttle stick & pot... and the button tops for the steering and throttle trim (just the plastic caps, not the actual switches)
you can grab one of these on ebay for less than $35

the rest is basically a new pc-board from a nice gentleman in south korea that makes this:
http://ar9x.net/index.php?route=prod...&product_id=57
as well as the LCD panel and backlight that he sells, and the associated accessory set. total investment there was less than $50

next i popped on over to alofthobbies.com and picked up 4 replacement rotary pots for the taranis, 4 replacement 2 position switches, and 2 replacement 3 position switches ($36). final items were a 7-way navigation wheel from digikey ($7), and a psp1000 thumbstick from sparkfun.com ($4)

added some .060 sheet plastic and some paint, borrowed the FrSky XJT module from my Taranis (or any other JR style TX module) and now i have a 16 channel capable pistol radio that will work with any of the boats, cars, tanks, hovercraft, and 90% of the submarines i own. Including the tugboats that have all the elaborate mixes and additional functions like lights and smokers. the ersky9x "firmware" that this board runs is about as powerful as the Open-TX software that comes with the FrSky Taranis, but without a lot of the bells and whistles. like Open-TX, the ersky9x firmware basically starts with everything needing to be a mix, with complex mixes being very easy to add. It also supports multiple forms of Telemetry, so the Frsky module will display data on the screen. It also supports voice (and has a speaker), so alarms ("low battery") can be triggered by telemetry values... finally, it has enough "rom" to handle as many as 64 models, and a microSD card available, so, in reality, there is enough room for hundreds if not thousands of models...

total investment of less than $150, and about 50 hours of soldering/cursing over the last 2 months. i could have saved a few dollars on the switches and pots if i knew what i needed to buy on ebay, but aloft hobbies is a nice place to deal with, shipping from them is very fast, and getting the thumbstick off of ebay would have been cheaper as well, but sparkfun is actually about a 30 minute drive from my house... and i always enjoy walking through their "showroom" to look at all the new trinkets they seem to have.
Last edited by tsenecal; May 22, 2017 at 10:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2017, 12:41 PM
I have had a 9x for about 3 1/2, almost 4 years now. It was a good 8 channel radio to begin with. Then I flashed it with er9x and added a smartieparts board and back lite, wow, so many things you can do. There is the obligatory string of adult words as you learn to program it. My brother bought a GT3C. We have moded it and flashed it with better firmware.

If you mess it up, you are not out a bunch of money with one of these radio's. Makes tearing them up and changing them another part of the hobby.

Buzz.
Mar 23, 2017, 02:34 PM
Submarines, etc.
Thread OP
buzz,

i agree completely. on a lark, after hearing about the same korean guy's ar9x upgrade board for the turnigy 9x, i bought two of the 9x on ebay, used for $40 a piece. upgrading them with backlights ($7) and the ar9x boards ($36) made them much better radios. the programming to me is not difficult at all, owning a Taranis, the programming is just the same. the cursing was created by the need to test things on the AR-Uni board, and figure out why things kept getting messed up (generally do to idiot errors on my part)

i did this for several reasons... 1) i could. 2) i finally found a need for more than 10 models on my old hitec aggressor, so i needed to find something "better". 3) i was amazed at how much money people were willing to spend on "high end" pistol radios... did you know spektrum sells a 4 channel radio for almost $500?, i knew i could make something better for much less. 4) those outrageously expensive pistol radios couldn't do as much as a $200 stick radio.
Mar 26, 2017, 09:53 AM
I was laughed at when I showed up with an iT4 pistol radio, Told it was junk yadda yadda yadda. Never an issue with it. Color touch screen, 20 model memory and really good long range signal.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-it4-to...io-orange.html

For what the guys paid for their Futaba and Spec radios, I could get mine with 15 Rx's and full telemetry sensor setups.

Buzz.
Mar 26, 2017, 04:26 PM
Submarines, etc.
Thread OP
2 things i didn't want with this: 1) touchscreen, 2) color screen. I am more than happy to have a monochrome screen... they do not need a back light to be visible in daylight... and the user interface for a touchscreen requires either wasted real-estate because everything has to be big enough to be picked with a finger sized object, or it needs a stylus that i would lose in about 15 seconds flat. other than that... the iT4 a perfectly fine radio one thing you forgot to mention that one of my fellow model boat club member likes about it is that the angle of the steering wheel is adjustable. that is the reason he owns one.
Last edited by tsenecal; Mar 26, 2017 at 04:31 PM.
Mar 27, 2017, 03:55 PM
With using both the GT3C and the iT4, I found the iT4 felt better in my hand. For me it was easier to use the screen than it was to use the little wheel to scroll through the menu's. But after flashing, it was easier to run through the menu's.

Now I need to build a oat or car to mod into a 10-12 channel monster to follow your lead in the super mods of the GT3C

Buzz.
Mar 27, 2017, 04:26 PM
Submarines, etc.
Thread OP
the navigation wheel i bought for this

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...345-ND/2627684

has 4 direction buttons, a scroll wheel, and a center button, so its not too far from the navigation built into the gt3b and gt3c, but with the single direction buttons, small changes can be made easier, and large changes can still be done quickly with the wheel.
Last edited by tsenecal; Mar 27, 2017 at 04:31 PM.
Apr 21, 2017, 05:27 PM
Submarines, etc.
Thread OP
a couple youtube videos going over the functionality of the radio:

AR-Uni pistol transmitter overview (5 min 32 sec)

AR-Uni pistol transmitter overview (3 min 6 sec)
May 09, 2017, 08:33 PM
Submarines, etc.
Thread OP
upgraded the radio with a new module...

https://www.banggood.com/IRangeX-IRX...l?rmmds=search

it is based on DIY electronics thread started here on rcgroups.com...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ocol-TX-Module

it allows this pistol radio to basically bind with every single different receiver that i own... Assan, FlySky, FrSky D, FrSky X, Spektrum, Tactic. it is saved as part of the individual model settings, so model #1 can use Assan, while model #2 is Tactic... allows me to have all my boats and cars on this one pistol radio without having to buy multiple transmitter modules, or replace dozens of receivers to go with a single brand. It also allows me to use all the proboat and aquacraft RTR or bind-n-drive boats without swapping out receivers. basically i have reduced the number of transmitters i need to carry to the pond to two... one for boats, one for subs.
Nov 13, 2017, 04:57 PM
I was playing with the same idea and I simply love it!

Finally some progress on the surface radio systems. Big names of RC simply could not follow the needs of new age surface RC model needs...

Bravo!

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewto...p=85187#p85187
Last edited by rc_ryder; Nov 13, 2017 at 05:19 PM.
Nov 15, 2017, 12:53 PM
What do you guys think of this radio for sale on Banggood for $73-83?

Dasmikro Customized 6 Channel 8 Channel Flysky GT3C Transmitter
Nov 16, 2017, 04:51 PM
Submarines, etc.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by schutzen View Post

it is still basically a GT3c. simply stuck on extra switches or knobs. not enough additional functionality/programability. no extended mixing.
Nov 18, 2017, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schutzen View Post

I have looked at it.

Only 3 position or pot, with no nixing at all. If you really stretch - you ad additional micro pots for end pot adjustments and you end up with limitation to use it only for one model at the time. No memory for EPA settings....

Though - nice box to start chopping and base for building OpenTX based device. Working on that... Does anyone know if ARUni boards are still being produced?

To me it seem at the moment that I better go scavenging the guts of mainstream air radio to do the job...
Jan 04, 2018, 12:56 PM

Pistolgrip uhf

Hi fantastic build best I've seen shame there's no market for this at the min. I'm looking on building one for my self for my axial and summit fpv but would save a lot of hassle there any chance you would build and sale me one many thanks
Jan 04, 2018, 01:04 PM
Submarines, etc.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane1988 View Post
Hi fantastic build best I've seen shame there's no market for this at the min. I'm looking on building one for my self for my axial and summit fpv but would save a lot of hassle there any chance you would build and sale me one many thanks
Shane,

the problem at this time is that the manufacturer of the main board i used to upgrade this is no longer producing the board... (ARuni) until i can find a replacement for that, there are no plans to make any more.

Quick Reply