Mar 22, 2017, 05:26 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Binding a Dx5e to a Lemon Featherlight (Both DSM2)

Hello, everyone Thank you for looking at the thread, hopefully you can help me with my problem that I'm having.

I've recently bought an antweight combat robot. This one:

It's a modified Shockbot, created by Will Thomas (from Aftershock on Robot Wars). This is one that he specifically took and modified for his own use.

The problem with it is, is that I was told by him that any DSM2 or DSMX controller should work with it. After buying a Hobbyking one and realising that I had to use their receiver with it, I had to return it. I then bought a Turnigy tx which wasn't DSM2 so I also had to return that. Before I bought my next one, I went to a local model shop to ensure that there wasn't anything wrong with it that I didn't know about. They binded it after trying 3 controllers. The first was a DSMX, then a DSM2 and then another DSM2 (which I believe to be a Dx6). The chap said that he could get a Dx6 for me for £100. As a student, I don't have that kind of money and I would also be paying the same amount as I did for the robot.

Finally realising my mistake, I went on eBay and specifically bought a DSM2 controller (as I wasn't ready to spend £100 on something which I believed I could get for cheaper).

I bought a DSM 2 Dx5e and here we are today. Tried to bind it but got nothing.

Am I missing anything? Do I need to set the tx to a specific setting?

Thank you in advance
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2017, 09:51 PM
Can I ask what type of receiver circuit is in the robot? Is it a standard hobby receiver? If so, just buy a transmitter that comes with its compatible receiver. Then just take out the DSM receiver in the robot and put your new one in.

EDIT: Nevermind, I read your post again and see that you were successfully able to bind using a Dx6, and now have a Dx5e in your posession that you're trying to get to work. can you provide the make/model number of the receiver circuit?

EDIT2: Sorry, you even specified the receiver in the title...i'm really off today!
Last edited by exwhyzed; Mar 23, 2017 at 12:53 AM.
Mar 23, 2017, 12:54 AM
I found the below instructions from this link...hope it helps!

1) To bind the AR500 to the DX5e or other DSM2 transmitter; insert the binding plug into the Battery/Bind port in the receiver.
2) A) To bind using an ESC insert the throttle lead into the throttle port on the receiver.
2) B) To bind using a 4-cell receiver battery, plug the battery into any port on the receiver.
2) In either case, the LED on the receiver should now be flashing and the receiver is ready to bind.
3) Move sticks on transmitter to low throttle and neutral positions.
4) Pull and hold forward the trainer switch on the top left of the transmitter while turning on power to the transmitter. LEDs on front of transmitter should flash. In a few seconds the systems should connect, and the LED on the receiver should go solid. Release the trainer switch.
5)Remove the bind plug and power down the receiver. Then power down the transmitter. Put the bind plug in a safe place for future use.
6)They recommended rebinding the system when the model was fully set-up.
Last edited by exwhyzed; Mar 23, 2017 at 01:01 AM.
Mar 23, 2017, 05:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhyzed
I found the below instructions from this link...hope it helps!

1) To bind the AR500 to the DX5e or other DSM2 transmitter; insert the binding plug into the Battery/Bind port in the receiver.
2) A) To bind using an ESC insert the throttle lead into the throttle port on the receiver.
2) B) To bind using a 4-cell receiver battery, plug the battery into any port on the receiver.
2) In either case, the LED on the receiver should now be flashing and the receiver is ready to bind.
3) Move sticks on transmitter to low throttle and neutral positions.
4) Pull and hold forward the trainer switch on the top left of the transmitter while turning on power to the transmitter. LEDs on front of transmitter should flash. In a few seconds the systems should connect, and the LED on the receiver should go solid. Release the trainer switch.
5)Remove the bind plug and power down the receiver. Then power down the transmitter. Put the bind plug in a safe place for future use.
6)They recommended rebinding the system when the model was fully set-up.
Thank you for the responses but this is almost exactly what I do for the receiver that I have in there and it doesn't work.

The Lemon enters bind mode and begins flashing rapidly. I turn on the transmitter while holding the trainer button and wait. The light on the lemon slows down and then goes off after a few seconds. Nothing.

Am I missing something? Can a 5-CH tx bind with a 6-CH rx (even though I'm only using 3-CHs)? Is there a certain mode I need to put the transmitter in? Why does this work with a Dx6 but not a Dx5e?
Mar 23, 2017, 03:49 PM
I wish I could provide more help...i'm sure someone else will chime in with the solution. I think yes, from what i've read, you can bind a receiver of X channels with a transmitter of X channels, as long as they're using the same language to talk.

The only other thing i can suggest is binding it aboveground (not in the basement if you are), and not to have the transmitter and receiver right beside each other...just give em a bit of room and see if that works. good luck!

Quick Reply