Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 31, 2017, 07:01 AM
gp.
gp.
gp
Dirk,
Good to see things warming up at the pond, great looking hull; at first glance it looked like one piece of wood wrapped around into a hull shape.
Have a great day
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2017, 06:32 PM
Hey Dirk, why not apply a coloured wash or lime to the decks and leave hull au-natural or stained. Could look quite spectacular but still give deck.hull contrast. All looking great though.

Craig Smith makes nice foils - available from Radio Sailing Shop, or do what David Jensen did and buy bulb, keel and rudder kit from MXComponents http://www.mxcomponents.com/en/home/...lare-mx-7.html

Also, find a girl interested in IOM sailing too then you'd have company while waiting for bits to set (difficult but not impossible) :-)
Mar 31, 2017, 11:18 PM
i would research the MX fins before making a recommendation. I believe for example Frank Russell suggested they weren't recomended for his designs.
Apr 01, 2017, 01:27 AM
Will fly for food
I would love to see imperial data to support your opinion. What research is out there? There is only opinions. Does Dave Creed make a keel/mast box that fits his fins? Making one is a major undertaking.
Last edited by davidjensen; Apr 01, 2017 at 01:33 AM.
Apr 01, 2017, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp.
Dirk,
Good to see things warming up at the pond, great looking hull; at first glance it looked like one piece of wood wrapped around into a hull shape.
Have a great day
That's what I like to hear

I was looking at the Craig Smith foils they look the part but are they competitive...
I was also thinking of making my own.

Also this boat is now going to be a little heavy. Could only source 4oz fiberglass cloth as they don't stock the other stuff in Sydney. Apparently only Melbourne have it so I was told.

I did it anyway and thought that I had sanded the hull down to almost 1mm thick
So that should be alright. It will just be a bit of a tank.
First one is a trial and to get out on the water and I know where I can do better next time around.

That's a nice foil, bulb and rudder kit from mx components but 200 pounds for all that...
I'm trying to build this boat on the cheap... Yes I know what your thinking another one of those people but I'm the opposite. I buy new everything usually. I could and was close to buying a brand new TNT from Italy (I liked the shape) and I was also looking at ordering a v9 but I thought it would be more ME if I got the satisfaction of making one and being competitive.

I was thinking of copying a foil and rudder design but its hard when I don't have one to go off and I cant tell what the thickness is from photos.
I will speak with Scott next week and see what he has to say about it. I may still order one.

This afternoon after work I finished sanding the hull and fiberglassed it YAY!

Going out now to see if I can find a girl that can sail or that will race IOM's with me
Apr 02, 2017, 06:53 AM
gp.
gp.
gp
Dirk,
Do not forget the local hobby shop when looking for fibre glass material the plane guy & girls use light weight stuff.

Have a great day
Apr 04, 2017, 07:49 AM
Rood Ars also will make fins/bulbs, and throw in a keelbox with purchase.
Apr 11, 2017, 12:46 AM
Guessing Dirk was successful at the local watering hole ... and found a Sheila that likes sailing as much as him ... haven't seen any updates recently ??

Hoping to see some photos ...
Of the sailboat progress - and - the new girlfriend too
Apr 11, 2017, 01:20 AM
Malibu
Hi Dirk, what brand and model is your orange transmitter. Very flash!!
Apr 11, 2017, 12:58 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
See post 24.
When viewing an image you can click on View Post below it to goto the post where it wes shown
Apr 11, 2017, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo.ca6
Guessing Dirk was successful at the local watering hole ... and found a Sheila that likes sailing as much as him ... haven't seen any updates recently ??

Hoping to see some photos ...
Of the sailboat progress - and - the new girlfriend too
Nope, just been very busy with work.
I'm going to Germany for 2 trade shows in about 5 weeks so I am trying to get all the jobs finished before I go away.

I have also stripped my windstar and I'm doing a job on that before I go on any further with the race ready.

Yesterday my deck hardware, A rig and sail turned up. Need to put a base coat (charcoal metallic) on the hull and orange on the keel and fin then a clear coat.

Will post photos of it when I get home.
Apr 11, 2017, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu01
Hi Dirk, what brand and model is your orange transmitter. Very flash!!
It's a Mkron 2.4ghz 6ch transmitter.
It's the Australian equivalent of the orange orx I think it's called.

Looks good and is reasonably cheap if I happen to drop it in the drink. The feel of it is pretty good. I'll know more about it when I get my windstar up and running again.
Apr 12, 2017, 02:11 AM
Hey Dirk

Looking fwd to seeing updated photos ...
When you have time - know you will be busy preparing to travel.

Good luck n safe travels to Germany.
Apr 12, 2017, 06:25 AM
For those of you that like pics.

As said in the above post. I am redoing my robbe Windstar.

I have taken all deck hardware off and all electric out. I am throwing the old rig and sails out as they were never good and the sails are as thick as canvas.

I have sanded the keel and rudder down to be more streamlined and to become more competitive without spending money.

I have ordered and received all new deck hardware, A rig and sails.

I have reinforced the hull (with thin Ply) as you could push the hull around. It really wasn't that well produced.

I have also got a new Turnigy Digital Sail Winch Servo. 12.32kg of torque at 4.8v and speed of 0.72 for 360 degrees, It is also programmable to turn from 1-6 times.
Seems like a good thing for such a toy of a boat.

I have currently sprayed the base coat of charcoal metallic but I have decided that its to dark and I'm going to paint it metallic orange instead.
Apr 12, 2017, 07:35 AM
glad to see a windstar still out there, it was based on my fathers Metrick Magick design but altered by Robbe

I think Brad put a new fin and rudder on his one

Mark