Aug 20, 2017, 11:45 AM
Where is the lift?
Did you get the longer booms yet Kevin?

Charlie
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2017, 02:18 AM
Kevin Botherway
Hi Charlie
Yes Joe gave me set of longer booms on the weekend i will try in a month or so happy with the plus as it is so far.... will keep u posted on any updates or new ideas overall well done to Vladimir and JW again !! Say hi to Myra
Rowdy
Aug 21, 2017, 05:07 AM

Accidente con el PLUS

Después de varias salidas buenas con el motor en marcha, ha sucedido la tragedia, tengo un corte en la mano derecha. Lo peor el PLUS destrozado.

El aeromodelismo es así..................................
Aug 21, 2017, 09:40 AM
Ppuebla,

I hope you are ok.
can please explain what happened?

Thanks

Marco
Aug 22, 2017, 12:40 AM

Accidente Plus

Estoy bien, ya cicatriza la herida.

Se produjo el corte al lanzar el Plus con la mano derecha, me corto la hélice, tal vez por mi culpa, no lo lance adecuadamente como lo hice anteriormente, creo que habría que lanzar lo y arrancar el motor posteriormente para garantizar la seguridad o entrenar mucho para que no haya accidente.

Cuando repare el siniestro volveré a practicar.

Saludos y gracias por tu interés
Aug 22, 2017, 05:14 AM
How long do you wait for Plus nowadays ? I'm already waiting 4 months for Plus ordered in UK
Aug 24, 2017, 12:55 AM
launch low, fly high
I've done a bit of flying with my Plus and have an initial program that I am reasonably happy with so I am publishing my current program settings.

I've heard a few questions.

Evidently, a big one is the launch process. If you are uncertain, please organize a very low power setting for the hand launch. After you have safely released the plane, go to full power. I also recommend setting a soft start in either your speed control or your transmitter. I have my soft start organized in my transmitter so that if I command full power it takes about a second to get to full power. I've done some full power launches without issues, the soft power start is a bit of extra safety if you are unsure of your launching capability. An important aspect is to NOT try to throw the plane. Just kinda give it a vertical push (with the plane attitude horizontal!) and take your hand away. The thrust will accelerate the plane without issues. The important thing is to release the plane without any angular rates (true of any launch independent of plane type).

Another item of interest is the aileron differential. I have found it best to use differential on the outboard ailerons only. The inboard ailerons should have zero differential for best handling qualities (IMO).

A big question is how to find where to set the trailing edge. I use reflections to find the cruise position. I've been using this method on various planes for many years. The usual thing is to use reflections off of the upper wing surface to define when the trailing edge is tangent to the wing. This is actually quite easy to do. It turns out that the inverted V tail helps out with the reflections as it is good to use something that is at an angle to the hinge line to generate the reflections. See the attached pictures for reflections on the wing as viewed from various perspectives with some trailing edge movement. One can define the neutral point to within a mm easily via looking at the reflections on the wing and control surface...

I am still sorting out the best thermal camber. I suspect that this is kinda like my Maxa and Snipe, the optimal camber will depend on the turbulence and thermal activity. I am showing two thermal settings, one of which seems to work for active and turbulent air (THERMAL1), and the other is for soft and gentle air (THERMAL2). For my programming, THERMAL1 is on a switch, and I get to THERMAL2 via using a slider on the side of the transmitter to go from THERMAL1 to THERMAL2. That way I can adjust in real time just how much camber I want to use.

My current cg is 86mm. I've not done any adjustments to the cg yet so treat this number as a reasonable first flight value. This feels a bit nose heavy at times, but seems to work okay overall.

Edit1: The value for the flap deflection for full flaps is not valid... The flap full deflection is about 80 degrees, and is somewhat difficult to measure via a ruler. All of the other measurements are mm vertical distances at the trailing edge. The flap and inboard aileron were measured at the tailboom location. The outboard aileron was measured at the inboard edge of the outboard aileron.
Last edited by Joe W; Aug 24, 2017 at 01:02 AM.
Aug 24, 2017, 10:10 AM
AZ Outback
Nice write up Joe, the reflection concept is brilliant.

Would this also work on a MAXA?
Last edited by Robert Burson; Aug 24, 2017 at 11:37 AM.
Aug 24, 2017, 11:22 AM
If somebody does not trust the reflection, Vladimir provides special templates.
Aug 24, 2017, 02:41 PM
launch low, fly high
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Burson
Nice write up Joe, the reflection concept is brilliant.

Would this also work on a MAXA?
I've been using this method for all of my aircraft, including Maxa, Snipe, and Shinto. For the Shinto, the upper surface tangent defines cruise, and the lower surface tangent defines speed (slightly different positions). It is such an easy check method that I am surprised that it is not widely used or known. The one caveat is that the wing and control surface finish quality needs to be quite good otherwise one cannot see much. Maybe I should repost in a new thread....
Aug 24, 2017, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W
The one caveat is that the wing and control surface finish quality needs to be quite good otherwise one cannot see much.
Thanks god Vladimir did a good job.
Gave it a try on mine yesterday
and improved the flight characteristics by quite a bit. :-)

Still got to play around with my heavy thermal settings a bit to improve dead air hang time. I am happy already, but
still curious if it can do even better. :-)
What impresses me again and again is how nicely it behaves in tight turns. Did more than 5 turns yesterday very close above the ground. With my former planes I wouldn't even have tried...

Joe, was there a specific design goal when creating the profiles? Is there anything for what you did optimize the most?

Regards Klaus
Aug 24, 2017, 06:52 PM
PaulG

Setting Up

I have been using digital helicopter gauge incidence meters to adjust my throws and camber. Joe's method of finding the moulded neutral position is brilliant, I use reflections of my fluorescent tubes to get that point and it works well. I use it on the Maxa but the place to start is with the speed position which is shown when a straight edge touches the TE,hinge and wing without gaps. Difficult to describe, easy to do. The gauges are then zeroed and you read off degrees of deflection from the gauge. I put gauges on all surfaces and it is really easy to set up a plane, I think I save at least half of the time I used to need. Particularly useful for older guys like me who are getting stiff, no bending at all! Alternative to this is to use the Vladimir angle gauges but this does not give you throws, mixes and differential accurately like the digital gauges do. These gauges seem accurate and are very inexpensive. You do need the glider on a stand held firmly. The gauges are so light they do not affect the surface position if you have done a good install, remember the little drop of ca to take play out of the clevises. Most of all I think is that the gauges are really easy to read, not like trying to read off 1/2mm on a graduated scale when you use multifocals and you cannot get your head into the right position.
I use double sided sticky tape to hold them in place.
Aug 24, 2017, 07:02 PM
AZ Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigly
I have been using digital helicopter gauge incidence meters to adjust my throws and camber. Joe's method of finding the moulded neutral position is brilliant, I use reflections of my fluorescent tubes to get that point and it works well. I use it on the Maxa but the place to start is with the speed position which is shown when a straight edge touches the TE,hinge and wing without gaps. Difficult to describe, easy to do. The gauges are then zeroed and you read off degrees of deflection from the gauge. I put gauges on all surfaces and it is really easy to set up a plane, I think I save at least half of the time I used to need. Particularly useful for older guys like me who are getting stiff, no bending at all!
What digital gauge manufacturer do you use, I am old.

The Best

Robert
Aug 24, 2017, 07:08 PM
Ok that's high enough
I have this one. The meter easily detaches from the clamp (magnets).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361416548075
Aug 24, 2017, 07:12 PM
AZ Outback
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabFlight
I have this one. The meter easily detaches from the clamp (magnets).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361416548075
WOW what a great price