Mar 21, 2017, 11:22 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Racerstar 4 in 1 ESC w/F3 - OMNIBUS V2 - 130MM Questions

I'm in the process of building a 130mm quad and have on order the following:
I pretty much have some burning questions:
  1. Judging by the guide, the Omnibus has lipo pads for input but also has JST like input for the 4in1 ESC (6pins). I'm assuming that the VCC pin is 5V from the LBEC and not VBAT from the lipo, correct? In which case you still need to connect the lipo to the lipo pads, correct?
  2. I noticed that order of the motors for the 4in1 ESC, specifically motors 3 & 4 will be reversed if connected directly to the adjacent motors on the quad. I understand that's not a problem because motor outputs can be remapped.
    My research has lead me to two methods to accomplish this, resource remapping & custom motor mixes. Now, I'm assuming the way to go is with resource mapping. My question, is it still possible to accomplish this given that the signal wires will be connected via the 4in1 ESC JST input on the Omnibus instead of the individual motor pads?
  3. I will also need to configure the Omnibus as 5V for both VTX and camera (pins 5V and RAM need to be shorted). I recently saw Project Blue Falcon's YT video on the Omnibus and noticed that the pads produced 4.75V. I'm just wondering whether that's enough to power my RunCam Swift 2 (where input voltage minimum is 5V)?
  4. I'm also concerned about the power/ground leads from the 4in1 to the lipo, as it doesn't appear all that reinforced to support a XT60 pigtail. What some used to mitigate this? Hot glue? Epoxy?
  5. Also for the capacitor on the power/ground leads of the 4in1, what value do you suggest?

Sorry for the tons of questions.
Many thanks!
Last edited by rcmark127; Mar 21, 2017 at 11:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2017, 07:11 PM
Yes, the 4 in 1 ESC does come with a 6 pin connector, and think the v2 only uses 5 wires. It does plug in to the Omnibus F3. I used the same FC and ESC (v1 for me) in my build. I ran the motor wires for 3 and 4 between the ESC and frame to get to correct position, only to find the Omnibus board has motor 3 and 4 reversed. Not sure if it has been fixed yet, so look in to that. I ran two + and - wires from the XT60 connector, one set to ESC and one set to FC. My understanding is runcam won't work right with under 5 volts, so might want to look in to a 5 volt regulator hooked to the battery. I also have my XT60 connector clamped to my frame, that's how I handled that. That's about all I can help you with.
Mar 21, 2017, 09:47 PM
I found this pic on readytoflyquads.com. Look close at pin location, it goes motors 3 4 2 1. On the Racerstar 4 in 1 ESC, it's motors 4 3 2 1. Worse case, you can release the lock tab on the connector and move the motor leads around. Quick, simple, and much easier than resourcing or custom motor config. Hope this helps.
Mar 22, 2017, 11:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoveopoly
Yes, the 4 in 1 ESC does come with a 6 pin connector, and think the v2 only uses 5 wires. It does plug in to the Omnibus F3. I used the same FC and ESC (v1 for me) in my build. I ran the motor wires for 3 and 4 between the ESC and frame to get to correct position, only to find the Omnibus board has motor 3 and 4 reversed. Not sure if it has been fixed yet, so look in to that. I ran two + and - wires from the XT60 connector, one set to ESC and one set to FC. My understanding is runcam won't work right with under 5 volts, so might want to look in to a 5 volt regulator hooked to the battery. I also have my XT60 connector clamped to my frame, that's how I handled that. That's about all I can help you with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoveopoly
I found this pic on readytoflyquads.com. Look close at pin location, it goes motors 3 4 2 1. On the Racerstar 4 in 1 ESC, it's motors 4 3 2 1. Worse case, you can release the lock tab on the connector and move the motor leads around. Quick, simple, and much easier than resourcing or custom motor config. Hope this helps.
Many thanks, think I'll just move the leads around. Makes more sense than resource mapping and custom configs.
Mar 23, 2017, 08:49 AM
For question 3.). Do not use the board to power anything other than you receiver. I just got done with a build using that FC. When I plugged in a 4s battery it would over heat the on board 5v bec and restart the FC. I would suggest getting a separate 5v bec to power the camera and vtx.

http://www.getfpv.com/5v-step-down-v...regulator.html
May 18, 2017, 04:02 AM
What kind of hardware did you power with the board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msand2081
For question 3.). Do not use the board to power anything other than you receiver. I just got done with a build using that FC. When I plugged in a 4s battery it would over heat the on board 5v bec and restart the FC. I would suggest getting a separate 5v bec to power the camera and vtx.

http://www.getfpv.com/5v-step-down-v...regulator.html
May 18, 2017, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwangdk
What kind of hardware did you power with the board?
I was trying to power an XM+ receiver, Runcam Swift mini, and a VTX03. As soon as I moved off the VTX and Camera. I was able to fly on 4s.

Quick Reply