Micro boat esc wanted - RC Groups
Mar 21, 2017, 07:15 AM
Help!

Micro boat esc wanted

So I am thinking to build a small rc boat, probably use one of the available revell tug boats or build a tiny springer, the size will depend from the size and weight of the electronics, any ideas about an esc with reverse I can use? I have found small servo and tiny 8 ch receiver for my taranis but don't have esc options yet. Any alternative ideas are welcome.
Thomas
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2017, 10:44 AM
Submarines, etc.
for brushed motors, search on ebay for "rc esc 20a brush motor"... i have bought 4 of them for use in different tiny boats (9" to 15" plastic model kits) the main circuit board is about 3/4" square (about 19mm square)
Mar 21, 2017, 12:54 PM
Looks like the one but i wonder why the given dimensions are 35X22X06 while it looks smaller. I ques the board itself ir smaller.
Thank you i will order a couple of them.
Thomas
Mar 21, 2017, 01:48 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Most of the time your biggest problem will come from weight, not size. Within reason, of course.

Dave
Mar 22, 2017, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordinir8
So I am thinking to build a small rc boat, probably use one of the available revell tug boats or build a tiny springer, the size will depend from the size and weight of the electronics, any ideas about an esc with reverse I can use? I have found small servo and tiny 8 ch receiver for my taranis but don't have esc options yet. Any alternative ideas are welcome.
Thomas
Thomas,
Too bad you live in Greece

I have a small brushed ESC that I'd give you for ship costs. Got it for a small boat project, but went with BL instead.

I would recommend going brushless because they're run cooler & they're more reliable... 2030 - 2040 - 2435 something in that range.

Another option would be heli outrunners... small - lightweight - built in cooling fan - might just be what your looking for.

ESC's:
Water Cooled... http://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?i...er_attr=6639.0

Air Cooled... http://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?i...attr=5426.5599 - you can always attach your own fan.

Food for thought...
Last edited by Trax_Trucker; Sep 08, 2017 at 05:58 PM.
Mar 22, 2017, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the info mdk but I need really small parts, I ordered a pair of small 10A esc's to test them, but I'll check those links for bigger projects anyway
Cheers
Mar 22, 2017, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordinir8
Thanks for the info mdk but I need really small parts, I ordered a pair of small 10A esc's to test them, but I'll check those links for bigger projects anyway
Cheers
FWIW: The Newer ESC is 16A - dimensions are: 1.441ins wide (wire side to wire side) x 1.235ins on the non-wire side x .750ins thick at the capacitor - It was the smallest [brushed] ESC I could find at the time I was looking.

Metric converter is here... http://www.towerhobbies.com/help/convcalcs.html
Apr 23, 2017, 02:09 PM

Feetech FS90R continuous rotation servo worked for me

I used the circuit board, motor and first stage of the gear reduction of the Feetech FS90R continuous rotation servo as a combined ESC and power unit, total weight 8g, to power the Lucky XI Revell tug very well indeed with plenty of power to drive an 18mm 3 blade prop. At less than £5 each it was also very cost effective. This servo has a much larger deadband than most solving the usual problem of using servo drives of it being tricky to find the stop position.
Aug 21, 2017, 11:32 AM
That sounds interesting. I just bought one myself for a Heller Jean Bart conversion.
How did you manage to get 'power' out of the 'first stage of the gear reduction'?
How was the servo modified?
Have you got a picture?

br
Søren
Aug 22, 2017, 03:11 AM
moller62 When you have some progress please post some pictures here, I want sometime to build Jean Bart to tow my /200 Yamato.
Thomas.
Aug 28, 2017, 04:44 PM

Jean Bart drive line

In order not to hijack this thread I created another:
Jean Bart drive line,
with some pictures.
br
Søren