WLtoys Q696 2-axis gimbal, Full HD, 5.8 GHz FPV, Telemetry, Altitude Hold Quadcopter - Page 4 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 13, 2017, 12:35 PM
Flew the 696 outside last night. Removed the camera as this was just a test flight and flew really well and very happy except its got this delay on throttle when taking off. It sits on the ground and the props are turning and as you move the throttle up nothing then all of a sudden it catches up or something and off it goes. Seems to be fine once airborn its just when first applying power it does this delay thing. Kinda weird. LED' s are nice and bright and look way cool as it was getting near dark and had no trouble seeing this. Do wish it had different color props though instead of all four being white. Like two black and two white would be nice. Looked for replacement blades and only found white. Could possibly paint them but then its more weight and possible balance issues so don't really want to do that at this point.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2017, 01:01 PM
People have used permanent markers to color their props.
Sep 13, 2017, 03:46 PM
Well that sounds like it might work. Thanks!
Sep 14, 2017, 02:26 AM

Video Issues

So Im new to quadcopters. Ive had a few nano's and mini's this is my first full size and with a camera. Issue im having is that I cant play the videos from my sd card that I took with the copter. Its in an AVI format but when i go to use a file converter I cant find one to support this specific CODEC. The ones ive tried said they can convert AVI files but turns out they cant convert this AVI file. Please any help or links would be appreciated cant seem to find anything on google

NVM got it figured out
Last edited by DarkHelmet2006; Sep 14, 2017 at 02:44 AM.
Sep 15, 2017, 12:37 PM
Well guys still got issues with the 696 and the controls. This is a new one on me so here goes. The controls are backward. I mean when then right stick is moved forward the quad goes backward. When I move the stick back it goes forward. Then when I move the right stick to the left the quad goes right and of course when I move the stick left it goes right. Left stick is okay as throttle works okay and when I move the left stick left or right the quad will rotate correctly. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this.
Sep 15, 2017, 03:48 PM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Yeah...that's new alright. Might be the transmitter has gone wonky. Pull the batteries out of the TX and see if that makes a difference. I wonder if maybe the controller inside the quad came loose?? Take it apart and make sure nothing is rattling around loose inside the shell. I used to have a Cheerson CX-20 that was notorious for exactly that.

Have you tried recalibrating the gyros?

Let us know what you find.
Sep 16, 2017, 08:57 AM
Well don't know if its possible but believe the entire gimble assembly is installed backward in the TX as like I stated the controls are backward. Forward is back and back is forward and left is right and right is left. Today I'm going to remove the rear cover and see if the assembly can be removed and rotated 180 degrees. If so that should make things right. So we'll see. I also used a black sharpie to color my rear blades black to help with orientation. Didn't notice much difference as when the blades are spinning they all look bout the same. Although in my opinion the quad looks better with two white and two black blades. Just my take though.
Sep 16, 2017, 11:41 AM
So took the TX apart but the assembly cannot be turned around as its soldered directly to the circuit board so that's not the issue. Should have known it was not going to be as simple as turning the pot around. Oh well so much for that hot idea. I did contact the seller and he is shipping me out a new TX so until then the Q696 is grounded.
Sep 18, 2017, 08:43 AM
Drone Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man flying
So took the TX apart but the assembly cannot be turned around as its soldered directly to the circuit board so that's not the issue. Should have known it was not going to be as simple as turning the pot around. Oh well so much for that hot idea. I did contact the seller and he is shipping me out a new TX so until then the Q696 is grounded.
Strange one for sure

Is yours definitely an A model, or possibly an E model?. Many a stick has been messed up by some sort of external mission planner.
Sep 18, 2017, 11:28 AM
Its the A model. The seller said this is the second one he's encountered with this issue so its just not me. In hopes of getting the new TX this week and get some serious flights in with this bird. Flew it once like it is but man its a handful with everything being backward. Looked great in just letting it hover by itself though. Auto take off is pretty cool and auto land works well too. No inflight video's though as yet. By the way what is a external mission planner?
Sep 19, 2017, 07:47 AM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Quote:
Do wish it had different color props though instead of all four being white. Like two black and two white would be nice. Looked for replacement blades and only found white. Could possibly paint them but then its more weight and possible balance issues so don't really want to do that at this point.
I ordered some of these props. http://www.lightake.com/p/4-pcs-set-...-_2079412.html

They're actually for the WLtoys Q303 Space Ship but I'm betting they're the exact same thing as the props for the Q696, only black instead of white. Even if they aren't the same, having the question answered is worth the $4.
Sep 21, 2017, 02:49 PM
So my new TX arrived today and make a short flight. Now this is more like it. Everything is perfect now as left is left and right is right and forward is forward and back is back. Flight was short as its ninety and humidity is just as bad so hope to get a longer flight tonight after it cools some or at least the sun goes down. But anyway all is good now.
Sep 21, 2017, 05:58 PM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Glad to hear that all got worked out. Seems it didn't take all that long for them to send out your new TX. I wish the TX I ordered was here already. I'm still waiting on those black Q303 props, too.
Yesterday, 07:33 AM
Yeah was quite surprised when the mail lady dropped it off yesterday. Didn't get the chance to fly her again last night but the best of all news is that I know now its good to go.
Yesterday, 08:09 AM
Drone Collector
Quote:
Yeah was quite surprised when the mail lady dropped it off yesterday. Didn't get the chance to fly her again last night but the best of all news is that I know now its good to go.
Glad you are all good to go

Sorry late comeback on this question, but mission planner is something used with more sophisticated quads to basically fly around a set route etc. It's also possible to mess up your flight control board and hence TX stick input by selecting the wrong settings/general sotware corruption . As mentioned, the CX20 was a prime candidate.

Thought you might have had an E model, and maybe something messed up in the app software. But it wasn't, and it isn't...so there we go. Wonky TX, so happy days all ok now.