WLtoys Q696 2-axis gimbal, Full HD, 5.8 GHz FPV, Telemetry, Altitude Hold Quadcopter - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 23, 2017, 11:24 AM
So what's the deal on this quad? I'm new to quads and am currently flying the H31 but am looking for a larger quad with altitude hold and camera equipped for video purposes. Is this a decent quad for the money or should I look elsewhere. TomTop had it the other day for $104.00 but now its $124.00 as at the time was unsure if its worth the coins so I held off. Just looking for some advice here before I make a mistake. Thanks in advance.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2017, 11:43 AM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
I've had mine for a week now but only have a couple of flights on it. I'm pretty impressed with this quad. It's pretty easy to fly and it's very stable. There's some pretty good videos on youtube for this quad. The gimbal works great and the 1080p video on a 5.8gHz FPV quad at this price point is fantastic.

Too bad the transmitter is so cheesy. That is not to say that it doesn't work. It works just fine, just feels cheap considering how nice over-all this quad is. Batteries take a while to charge, though. So you might consider the cost of extra batteries in your consideration.
Aug 23, 2017, 04:17 PM
Thanks Sunbyrd that helps in what I was wanting to know. I can buy it now from TomTop for $103.00 and some change. Sounds like a decent deal to me. I'm wanting a video platform and not a hot rod and this seems to fit the bill.
Aug 31, 2017, 02:38 AM
It's $125.99 (38% off) for me now at Tomtop; do you use coupons or points to bring it down to $103? At $103 it's a real steal of a bargain!

BTW: Q101 mentioned in his reviewvideo of this bird he saw it shaking and there was jello in the video footage, so do have a look at the props and balance them; it'll certainly reduce the jello quite a bit.
Last edited by Pixelpeter; Aug 31, 2017 at 02:46 AM.
Aug 31, 2017, 03:45 AM
Drone Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
It's $125.99 (38% off) for me now at Tomtop; do you use coupons or points to bring it down to $103? At $103 it's a real steal of a bargain!

BTW: Q101 mentioned in his reviewvideo of this bird he saw it shaking and there was jello in the video footage, so do have a look at the props and balance them; it'll certainly reduce the jello quite a bit.
+1 on the pricing. I am getting 103 (gbp). Prolly some promotional coupon somewhere on the net?.

Good point on the props. They look to be the same as the Q333 and probably other models. They all respond well to prop balancing. I use a bit of sellotape, not the sanding method. These props can be quite brittle as well, so be careful with them for sure.

@ $103 bucks...i'll be pulling the trigger for sure.
Aug 31, 2017, 06:30 AM
Wouldn't it be cool if you could re-use the camera+gimbal on another quad once you're done with the Q696? For sure you'll probably loose the possibility to tilt.
Aug 31, 2017, 01:32 PM
Originally when I seen this I was on Facebook and it popped up on there for$124.00 and I clicked on the shop now and TomTop popped up and it showed the Q696-A for $103.00 and some change but only for a limited time. Well I passed and theny next time I checked it was back to the $124.00 price so passed again. A couple days later I was back on Facebook and it popped on again so clicked on the shop now and it showed $103.00 again but only for a limited time with free ship from U.S. warehouse. This time I hit buy it now and took my chances. Six days later it was on my door step. Have not flown it as yet but overall very impressed with the quad and its quality. Not so much with the instruction manual. Its just plain goofy.
Sep 05, 2017, 03:01 PM
Can someone here tell me how to change the mode setting on this TX. Gotta tell ya this thing is giving me fits.
Sep 11, 2017, 10:16 AM
Is anyone messing around with this quad or did I purchase a dead bird?
Sep 11, 2017, 11:16 AM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
I've flown mine a few times. Not an expert by any means. What modes are you trying to achieve? You can change the "speed" modes. By default when it's powered up it's in speed mode 1. Hold the top left button down for a second and it will change to speed mode 2. The transmitter will beep twice. If you hold the top left button down again it changes back to speed mode 1 with one beep.
Sep 11, 2017, 11:43 AM
Well got all that figured out but was just wondering why there is so little chatter about this quad. To me anyway it appears to be a decent quad for the money. Just did a couple of test hops with mine indoors due to nasty weather but seems more then willing.
Sep 11, 2017, 12:25 PM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Can't be sure of course, but typically if a product is plagued with problems there is gobs of chatter in the forums. I'm hoping it's a good sign that there's not a lot of chatter. So far, I haven't had any major problems with mine.

On a different note...I ordered a WLtoys transmitter and pcboard (Wltoys WL Q303 Q303A Q303B Q303C quadcopter spare parts transmitter + PCB board). I'll try and swap that out and hopefully get it to work.
Sep 11, 2017, 04:22 PM
Are you having issues with your Q696 TX or am I'm missing something?
Sep 11, 2017, 05:12 PM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
No...no issues. I just think the transmitter that comes with it is really cheesy. Such a nice quad deserves a better transmitter, but that would raise the price point by a few bucks. It just seems strange to me that WLtoys would give some of their lesser quads a nicer transmitter.
Sep 11, 2017, 07:39 PM
Ya know I was thinking the same thing when I seen the TX. I've got several WLtoys heli's and they all come with much better TX then this with the Q696. Even the V-977 comes with a better looking TX. Its not programmable like the K110 but never the less it most assured looks way better and feels better. Let me know how the switch works out for ya